Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back from picking up the parts/fix-up bike from over the hill and down the road. Looking at it, the PPO started an attempt at pulling the motor. I found a crack in the lower case (bottom front mounting boss for the stator cover - looks like it hit a curb/rock) Should be a fairly easy JB Weld fix.

My question for the masses would be, do I get her back on the road or just part it out? If I part it I'll be keeping all the really good stuff like tins and case guards and luggage rack. If I fix her up I'll be needing side covers, mirrors, horns,and a butt-load of bolts that are missing and probably a few other minor things I haven't noticed yet. Kinda amazing looking at it, looks like all that is holding the engine in is the exhaust, which is still fully bolted on.

Not going to do much with her for a bit until I decide which way to go.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
might be more profitable to part out. A) you are making $$ off what you sell. B) you aren't spending $$ on the good things you keep.. C) you are pouring an untold amount of $$ into it...

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my mind was made up for me today when the better half looked at it while I was putting it away.

"So this is the one you're going to teach me to ride on?" took me a little by surprise seeing she wouldn't let me teach her to drive the 5 speed Saturn in the driveway. But if that's what she wants .......

Now I know I'm in trouble.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it just the cover that's got the break or does it go all the way into the case?
Cover and case, Just the mounting boss for the bolt. Very small and not really structural. The gasket is holding the loose pieces, All I should have to do is JB Weld the pieces back in place to stop the oil leaking.

But I could be wrong, and I have my old motor there for parts if needed.

I'll try to get pictures.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a couple of pics of the damage for those interested. As you can see the bolt boss is knocked off and being held in by the gasket. I'll try to take more as I get into repairing it.

Attachments

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Hey Dragon, it looks like you need a new cover; don't think and epoxy would be strong enough. It might not break, but I suspect the glue would deform over time and you would have an oil leak.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
You're right but what about that stuff you knead and turns into putty then gets rock solid. I used some on a gas tank that held for quite a while. They have different versions of it too. forget the name (of course) but got it at a local AP store.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I can't see the case real good, I would definitely replace that cover. I'm sure it could be repaired to last a while, but it will fail, and who knows where you will be when it does. I wouldn't even consider using a case with even the slightest crack in it. Aluminum has a crystalline molecular structure, just like glass, and no matter what you do, the crack will eventually spread. I HAVE seen aluminum cases with only a small crack repaired by welding, this involves using a Dremel or similar tool with a cutoff wheel to cut through the crack, relieving the stress, then filling it in by welding. Often done on antique parts that cannot be replaced. I'd look for unbroken used parts.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts