Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Ok so after re-reading things here. Are you just stuck on the center stand right now? Cuz it seems to me that if it was this big of a pain to get it off of there, you wouldn't put it back up there. Or am I missing something here? If I'm moron just tell (and I don't mean in just a general way either wise asses)
If I'm understanding the situation correctly, he put a board under it per fergy's instructions when he lubed the splines. Now, because of the extra elevation, he's having trouble getting it down and controlling it. When not pulling maintenance, he uses the kick stand.

·
Registered
950 Posts
If I'm understanding the situation correctly, he put a board under it per fergy's instructions when he lubed the splines. Now, because of the extra elevation, he's having trouble getting it down and controlling it. When not pulling maintenance, he uses the kick stand.
Ok. When I first read it. I was thinking that this was a daily ordeal he had to deal with. And everybody is telling him to get turntables and all these fancy appratus to use. But if it is a one time deal, thats different.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Ok. When I first read it. I was thinking that this was a daily ordeal he had to deal with. And everybody is telling him to get turntables and all these fancy appratus to use. But if it is a one time deal, thats different.
I also thought it was a daily thing when I suggested the turntable...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't be hard on the guy I know what it's like to get old and lose your strength. I used to lift 350# now lucky to lift 50# It seems that as we get older our bodies get weaker and our minds get stronger.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Don't be hard on the guy I know what it's like to get old and lose your strength. I used to lift 350# now lucky to lift 50# It seems that as we get older our bodies get weaker and our minds get stronger.
I can agree with all of that except the last part, but then again maybe for me it is due to a bad case of CRS...lol...

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you have room and can find a thin one, get an old (or new for that matter, they are pretty cheap) swivel plate for a marine seat or some bar stools use them, and I believe you would have like a turn table and the down hill lunge will pop her right off the center stand... If not just make one from 2 pieces of flat metal stock and grease and bolt them togather lightly (so it will turn easy) in the center and park the center stand on them and spin the cycle around...Home made turn table maybe...???
Wouldn't that work...??? I don't know, just a thought...
Would the swivel plate for a boat seat support the weight of the bike on the center stand? This would be great just to turn the bike around in the garage too.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I had thought it would (it would be a load), but since there are only 2 contact points on the center stand it might require a piece of flat stock on top to stiffen the top plate... About all a boat seat swivel is, is 2 flats tied in the center and with a circle of ball bearings between... I feel sure that the home made 2 flat pieces loosely bolted togather in the center and a bit of grease between them would work fine... I would think you could just press down a bit on the rear and spin the bike around... I haven't done either, but think both would work...
Maybe someone that has tried either will chime in...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Removed Seat Wedged Wood under Tire: WORKED!

Jay et al --

Incorporating everyone's ideas I think I may have found a way to safely roll off the center stand without assistance but I won't know until I actually try it tomorrow.

I wedged a 2 by 6 under the tire. The wedge keeps the bike from rocking backwards. Now when I rock it, it only wants to go forward. Next, I removed the seat and replaced it with a thick towel. Now I can straddle the bike easily with both feet planted flat on the ground. (Remember I'm short and the center stand is on top of a piece of wood) The bike weight still presents a lot of resistance due to the incline but I think now I may have the leverage to roll it off safely. I'll let you know tomorrow! :wow:

Thanx fellow Vulcaneers! :beerchug:
UPDATE:

The above procedure WORKED :smiley_th !! With the seat removed, a board wedged under the TIRE, and my feet flat on the gound I was able to force the bike off the center stand against the uphill slope.

However, I still want to find a method that requires less pushing exertion.

Can anyone provide input concerning some type of after market stand or jack to use on Mr. Spock? I would use it only when needed for maintenance.

My thanx to all bros/sisters vulcaneers! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I have always stood beside my bike when rolling it off the centerstand after a spline lube. I grab the left grip with left hand, and grab the luggage rack right under the edge closest to me and rock the bike gently back and forth til it rocks forward with enough momentum to come off the centerstand. I've never had a balance problem, never come close to dropping it and I also do put the side stand down before I do this. Even if I lost it I probably would have enough energy to slow it's fall toward me where it wouldn't hit hard on the side stand. If I were to drop it on the right side, at least it wouldn't fall on me. But seriously, if you concentrate on keeping it upright, it is right on it's balance point so you're holding very little weight and can gently lean it to it's side stand. Also, if you put it in gear before you do this, you can pull in the clutch as you rock it back and forth, and when it goes, you can let out the clutch to stop it from rolling. I would think that trying to get the bike off the centerstand using both handlebar grips would put you in a really bad position to get any leverage.
This bike is still a twig to me compared to the KZ1000 Police bike I had that had full fairing, engine guards, hard bags with guards, a danged heavy bike that I worked much harder to get on and off the centerstand, but used the same method and never came close to losing it. Getting the 750 on or off the centerstand is all technique and using leverage, with very little muscle, if it's done right.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have always stood beside my bike when rolling it off the centerstand after a spline lube. I grab the left grip with left hand, and grab the luggage rack right under the edge closest to me and rock the bike gently back and forth til it rocks forward with enough momentum to come off the centerstand. I've never had a balance problem, never come close to dropping it and I also do put the side stand down before I do this. Even if I lost it I probably would have enough energy to slow it's fall toward me where it wouldn't hit hard on the side stand. If I were to drop it on the right side, at least it wouldn't fall on me. But seriously, if you concentrate on keeping it upright, it is right on it's balance point so you're holding very little weight and can gently lean it to it's side stand. Also, if you put it in gear before you do this, you can pull in the clutch as you rock it back and forth, and when it goes, you can let out the clutch to stop it from rolling. I would think that trying to get the bike off the centerstand using both handlebar grips would put you in a really bad position to get any leverage.
This bike is still a twig to me compared to the KZ1000 Police bike I had that had full fairing, engine guards, hard bags with guards, a danged heavy bike that I worked much harder to get on and off the centerstand, but used the same method and never came close to losing it. Getting the 750 on or off the centerstand is all technique and using leverage, with very little muscle, if it's done right.

On some previous occasions I used your method of standing beside the bike except I had both hands on the grips. I like the idea of engaging it in gear and releasing the clutch when it rolls off the stand. My biggest problem is the floor of my shed has a fairly sharp upward incline as you drive into the shed. So, I'm working against gravity pushing it forward off the stand.

Thanx for your post Fergy! It helps to give me the confidence I need! :beerchug:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I can say this: at our shop we not only routinely put ALL bikes on the centerstands, but we roll them onto lifts and THEN the centerstands! You have about four inches of metal on the edge of the lift to stand on to haul 'em up. Rolling them off is a breeze: stand next to the bike, rock back for a little momentum and give the bike a mighty heave forward. Nothing happens except the bike plops forward like normal. It makes a heck of a racket on the metal, but it really is no big deal. Once you do it a couple of times you get used to it. I'm only 5'10" 180, and the first time I did this was with a Venture Royale. It scared me to death until I did it, then I wondered why I was so chicken! Just don't let the thing fall AWAY from you and it's gravy. The steeper the uphill you have to go against, the more MMMMFFFF you put into shoving the bike forward. Even if the first shove fails, keep your momentum and keep rocking that thing. It'll roll off eventually. These VNs are so light compared to GLs and K1200LTs, I may be taking it for granted.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I agree! I'm actually a pretty big guy but at 49 I'm not as strong and not nearly as nimble as I used to be! I'm sure I take for granted how easy it feels to me since I moved from the KZ to the VN. I did need hard soled boots on for the KZ as it took a heck of a lot more downward pressure with my right foot to get the bike on the centerstand. I remember the first time I put the 750 on the stand, I thought I nearly launched it over backwards it came up so fast. The center stand actually skidded on the concrete for a couple inches that first time.
Now getting it on the 2x12 for a spline lube is a different story! I usually get help for that one. Never had to do that with the KZ as it's chain drive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Covert --

I've always been impressed how techs at the dealership handle heavy bikes like they're plastic toys! I think its that intense MMMMFFFF push you described that scares me the most. It feels like I'll be out of control when the bike rolls off the center stand.

Thanx for your explanation, Covert! :smiley_th

Well I can say this: at our shop we not only routinely put ALL bikes on the centerstands, but we roll them onto lifts and THEN the centerstands! You have about four inches of metal on the edge of the lift to stand on to haul 'em up. Rolling them off is a breeze: stand next to the bike, rock back for a little momentum and give the bike a mighty heave forward. Nothing happens except the bike plops forward like normal. It makes a heck of a racket on the metal, but it really is no big deal. Once you do it a couple of times you get used to it. I'm only 5'10" 180, and the first time I did this was with a Venture Royale. It scared me to death until I did it, then I wondered why I was so chicken! Just don't let the thing fall AWAY from you and it's gravy. The steeper the uphill you have to go against, the more MMMMFFFF you put into shoving the bike forward. Even if the first shove fails, keep your momentum and keep rocking that thing. It'll roll off eventually. These VNs are so light compared to GLs and K1200LTs, I may be taking it for granted.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Tip for 2 x 12 on center stand

I agree! I'm actually a pretty big guy but at 49 I'm not as strong and not nearly as nimble as I used to be! I'm sure I take for granted how easy it feels to me since I moved from the KZ to the VN. I did need hard soled boots on for the KZ as it took a heck of a lot more downward pressure with my right foot to get the bike on the centerstand. I remember the first time I put the 750 on the stand, I thought I nearly launched it over backwards it came up so fast. The center stand actually skidded on the concrete for a couple inches that first time.
Now getting it on the 2x12 for a spline lube is a different story! I usually get help for that one. Never had to do that with the KZ as it's chain drive.
Fergy --

I put a piece board (2 x 6) under the rear tire. I ride over and on top of the board. This lifts the rear of the bike making it MUCH easier to lift onto the center stand even with 2 x 12 under the stand. The photo shows a smaller board but it works just as well with a 2 x 12. One person can do it without assistance (see pic attached) As a small, frail, elderly . . uh . . senior rider I need every trick in the book.

I use hard soled boots anytime I put Mr. Spock up on the center stand.

Many thanx for your post! :beerchug:

Attachments

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
I put a piece board (2 x 6) under the rear tire. I ride over and on top of the board. This lifts the rear of the bike making it MUCH easier to lift onto the center stand even with 2 x 12 under the stand. The photo shows a smaller board but it works just as well with a 2 x 12. One person can do it without assistance (see pic attached) As a small, frail, elderly . . uh . . senior rider I need every trick in the book.

I use hard soled boots anytime I put Mr. Spock up on the center stand.

Many thanx for your post! :beerchug:
Hey, thanks FlaRider. I was wondering if their was a trick to making it easier to get the bike up on the centerstand on top of a 2x6 or 12.:smiley_th

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hey, thanks FlaRider. I was wondering if their was a trick to making it easier to get the bike up on the centerstand on top of a 2x6 or 12.:smiley_th
I'm glad it's helpful, JA! :beerchug:

-

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I would love to build a turntable for my shed but with my tools and shelves and a few other things in there, there isnt quite enough room to spin her. but it would be nice to not back her out of the shed all the time. especially when its muddy.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts