Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy fellow Vulcaneers --

I'm having difficulty getting the bike off the center stand especially with a piece of wood underneath the center stand after doing the spline lube.

My shed purposely has a rising slope as I ride the bike into the shed. I did this to make it easy to roll the bike out, less stress on my old knees. I think this slope is making it harder to rock the bike forward off the center stand because of the rearward incline.

I sit on the bike on my tip toes and rock it forward/backward to get if off but I need someone to give me a little push forward to push it off the stand.

I'm thinking of standing next to the bike and pushing it forward by the handlebars until it rolls of the stand. Does anyone do it this way? Is this a safe way to do it? Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this.

Thanx in advance!

Center Stand Challenged :(

--

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have done it that way, when I do though I will put the side stand down, and when I am taking it off the center stand I'll try to pull it towards me so it will catch the side stand plus I can hold it up better that way. Also I am covering the front brake so it doesn't get away from me.

Do you usually park on the center stand not the side stand?

Reactions: FlaRider

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Kinda makes sense that it'd be tough to get off the center stand if the bike is pointing up hill.

Like Jace said, rolling it off while standing beside it shouldn't be a problem.
But I, personally, wouldn't put the side stand down, but would be sure to lean the bike to the direction I'm standing and be ready to support it as it comes down.
I would be ready on the front brake though.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
This may be a stupid question But,
Can you twist/pivot the bike around on the wood block so the bike is pointing downward?

·
Now what
400 Posts
I wouldn't try and get my bike off the center stand by standing next to it. As soon as the bike comes off the stand, gravity takes over. I'd stick with having someone give me a push if I couldn't set it up on level ground.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
If you have room and can find a thin one, get an old (or new for that matter, they are pretty cheap) swivel plate for a marine seat or some bar stools use them, and I believe you would have like a turn table and the down hill lunge will pop her right off the center stand... If not just make one from 2 pieces of flat metal stock and grease and bolt them togather lightly (so it will turn easy) in the center and park the center stand on them and spin the cycle around...Home made turn table maybe...???
Wouldn't that work...??? I don't know, just a thought...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
My two cents: 1. Put rope or ratchet strap from front wheel to behind centerstand (see fergy's spline lube pics). 2. Place blocks/jack stands under frame below engine. 3. Have someone jack or lever the rear wheel up while you hold the bike (have front wheel straight). 4. Kick the board out from under the centerstand as the weight comes off it. 5. Untie rope, mount bike, and roll off centerstand in normal fashion.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My two cents: 1. Put rope or ratchet strap from front wheel to behind centerstand (see fergy's spline lube pics). 2. Place blocks/jack stands under frame below engine. 3. Have someone jack or lever the rear wheel up while you hold the bike (have front wheel straight). 4. Kick the board out from under the centerstand as the weight comes off it. 5. Untie rope, mount bike, and roll off centerstand in normal fashion.
Jace, Hyper, Jay, Ironman, OldDog, FliteControl --

These are great ideas! Good examples of "thinking outside the box!"

I'll post an update later on to let you all know how it works out.

Many Thanx! :beerchug:

·
Registered
950 Posts
I am still curious why you are on the center stand all the time.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am still curious why you are on the center stand all the time.
Jace --

Sorry if I mislead you. I'm not on the center stand all the time. I always use the side stand except for maintenance. Last night I put it on the center stand with a piece of wood under the stand to do the spline lube.

Thanx for your response! :beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Start the bike, pull in the clutch, put it in first gear.
Let out the clutch while opening the throttle some and get the rear tire spinning at 3000-4000 rpms. Slide your but back on to the passenger seat and force the rear wheel down so it touches the ground. The bike will ride off the stand by itself...just be ready to brake.....

KM

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Start the bike, pull in the clutch, put it in first gear.
Let out the clutch while opening the throttle some and get the rear tire spinning at 3000-4000 rpms. Slide your but back on to the passenger seat and force the rear wheel down so it touches the ground. The bike will ride off the stand by itself...just be ready to brake.....

KM
KM --

Great idea! Let me piggy-back on your idea. What if I wedge a block of wood or something solid under the rear tire to give it traction and then gradually accelerate? I don't want to do an Evil Knivel out the opposite entrance of the shed. LOL

Thanx! :beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
KM --

Great idea! Let me piggy-back on your idea. What if I wedge a block of wood or something solid under the rear tire to give it traction and then gradually accelerate? I don't want to do an Evil Knivel out the opposite entrance of the shed. LOL

Thanx! :beerchug:
Well it is something that likely would have been best to practice first out on a parking lot, but if you take it easy the worst that will happen is you kill the engine.
Putting something under the wheel might be OK as long as you don't end up launching it backwards. In theory if you had the right sized "wedge" you wouldn't even need to start the bike, it just roll forward.

KM

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it is something that likely would have been best to practice first out on a parking lot, but if you take it easy the worst that will happen is you kill the engine.
Putting something under the wheel might be OK as long as you don't end up launching it backwards. In theory if you had the right sized "wedge" you wouldn't even need to start the bike, it just roll forward.

KM
Productive brainstorming!

Thanx KM! :beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey FR, isn`t it a pain to get older and weaker. From your post it sounds like you may live alone and it is not convienient to find someone to help you roll the bike ahead. You`ve had several suggestions for ropes, straps, blocks, jacks and a turntable. Let me make one more. I picked up a small block and tackle for use by hunters in lifting big game animals to skin and clean them. It will lift up to 1000 pounds by exerting about 1/10 of that on the 1/4" rope. It cost between $5-10, years ago when I got it.

If you can find one, you could anchor one end to a strap tied between the fork tubes as high as possible by the triple tree, and the other end to something solid, like the top plate of the wood framed wall in front of the bike. With the rope coming down from a high enough angle to clear the windshield, you could pull the bike ahead slowly until you feel it come up on the centerstand. As it comes over center and goes down and ahead, you can easily grab the handlebars and brake as the rope goes slack. This seems a safe, quick and simple method for a person alone to employ. I hope one of these methods works for you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey FR, isn`t it a pain to get older and weaker. From your post it sounds like you may live alone and it is not convienient to find someone to help you roll the bike ahead. You`ve had several suggestions for ropes, straps, blocks, jacks and a turntable. Let me make one more. I picked up a small block and tackle for use by hunters in lifting big game animals to skin and clean them. It will lift up to 1000 pounds by exerting about 1/10 of that on the 1/4" rope. It cost between $5-10, years ago when I got it.

If you can find one, you could anchor one end to a strap tied between the fork tubes as high as possible by the triple tree, and the other end to something solid, like the top plate of the wood framed wall in front of the bike. With the rope coming down from a high enough angle to clear the windshield, you could pull the bike ahead slowly until you feel it come up on the centerstand. As it comes over center and goes down and ahead, you can easily grab the handlebars and brake as the rope goes slack. This seems a safe, quick and simple method for a person alone to employ. I hope one of these methods works for you.
Hey OlHoss --

The VN750 "Think Tank" is amazing with problem solving ideas. You've given me yet another option.

I live with my wife and she provided the last push but I want to do it by myself because she has health issues.

Yep, gettin old aint fer the faint-hearted.

Thanx OlHoss!

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Or put a jack under the engine raise it enough to get the block out, put the block under the rear wheel, Lower the jack.

Another Idea is to tie back the front brake lever, Get on the bike and Tap out the block with a slege-hammer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or put a jack under the engine raise it enough to get the block out, put the block under the rear wheel, Lower the jack.

Another Idea is to tie back the front brake lever, Get on the bike and Tap out the block with a slege-hammer.
Jay et al --

Incorporating everyone's ideas I think I may have found a way to safely roll off the center stand without assistance but I won't know until I actually try it tomorrow.

I wedged a 2 by 6 under the tire. The wedge keeps the bike from rocking backwards. Now when I rock it, it only wants to go forward. Next, I removed the seat and replaced it with a thick towel. Now I can straddle the bike easily with both feet planted flat on the ground. (Remember I'm short and the center stand is on top of a piece of wood) The bike weight still presents a lot of resistance due to the incline but I think now I may have the leverage to roll it off safely. I'll let you know tomorrow! :wow:

Thanx fellow Vulcaneers! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Sounds like it oughta work! Good thinking!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Ok so after re-reading things here. Are you just stuck on the center stand right now? Cuz it seems to me that if it was this big of a pain to get it off of there, you wouldn't put it back up there. Or am I missing something here? If I'm moron just tell (and I don't mean in just a general way either wise asses)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts