Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Its been a while since my last post, I have moved to Texas to start a new job and just got the Vulcan out of storage. Ive been thinking about how to go about repairing it since I wrecked it. Ive got a lot of ideas, but also not sure what can be swapped in for factory pieces. Mainly, the speedo. Im thinking about "deleting" the gauge cluster and putting in a speedo thta is center mounted, but I dont know if they are interchangeable and still be half way accurate with the stock gear anc cable. And insight? Also looking to change the bars from stock to drag, but am having issues finding a set of risers, as i have read is a common issue with these bikes. Any help would greatly appreciated!! I will try to put pics up of the accident and aftermath lol.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
If you go with a speedo from a bike with the same size front tire it should be fine. A Virago or something. Shouldn't be too bad fabbing a bracket for a center speedo. I'd suggest looking at moving the ignition switch somewhere else yo give a nice clean look up there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i was considering fabbing up a bracket to mount it under the tank, almost like a harley or something. So as long as the front tire is the same size? what about buying a universal fit, like from jc whitney or something? is there a specification or something to make sure it reads right?

·
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just shopping on jpcycles, and they had several different speedometers with different ratios. If i remember right they were 1:1, 2:1, and then 2240:60. I wonder what ratio the Vulcan is?

·
1,100 Posts
Man I tried finding the ratio for these bikes but no go.
: -/
Maybe in the owner's manual. I'll update this post if I find something helpful.

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Sorry if I missed something, but why can't you use the stock speedometer?

It's a separate unit and can be used by itself if you trash the rest of the gauges.

(and of course you might have trouble selling the bike without the stock odometer)

Edit: oh yeah, you can figure out the ratio by simply taking the cable off the speedo and seeing how many times it turns when you turn the front wheel ONE time around.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am just looking for options, i trashed mine and wiped the entire cluster off. i still have the speedo but its inop now, so i would keep it for keeping track of actual mileage if i ever did sell it...never thought of counting the cable revolutions while turning the front wheel...damn it lol

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
86 those gauges!!!

I got rid of that whole ugly cluster of gauges. One of the worst things cosmetically about these bikes IMHO. I use my iPhone with a gps app called "speedo". Works awesome! Keeps track of miles as well and gives u the time as too.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Stereopath-

Sooo you took the entire cluster off? I am guessing the program for Iphone uses the GPS aspect to keep track of that info? Did you find a mount for your Iphone on your Bike? Do you have a pic?.. Interested in seeing that look.

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
748 Posts
Im in Denton, about 45 minutes north of Dallas/Fort Worth.
Ah; one of my adopted daughters and her husband live in Corinth. We'll have to get together next time I go visit...

Jim

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea sounds good. Just shoot me a message on here. If im not working and the bike is back together, im down for a ride or a meet at the local bar.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I have an '85 Goldwing, and the digital speedometer and odometer quit working. I had an extra Garmin eTrex (the cheap yellow one) from when I used to have a quad, and I rigged up a bracket to mount it to the unused mirror mount on the clutch master cylinder. Works great, and is 99.9% accurate. I don't care about mileage, it was given to me in non running condition, with box C (unknown) mileage checked on the title. RAM sells a mount for these cheap GPS units that allow you to use both the mirror and mount in the single 10mm hole. You can get these units very cheap on eBay. They don't have any fancy downloadable maps or anything, and the display is black and gray, but they get the job done.

The VN750 does not use risers, the bar mounts are cast into the upper triple clamp. However, if you don't need to go too high, you can get spacers made for dirt bikes that will raise the mounts up about 2"

·
Registered
335 Posts
iam running a vn800 speedo

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea? you ever ride here to visit?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
did once back in 08, right after getting my vulcan.. Planning on a long coast to coast and back ride in April or July... depending on money and my friends time tables

1 - 19 of 19 Posts