Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone im new to vn750 and am in the process of getting my 1997 vn750 running. i have pulled the carbs cleaned them both and everything looks good did a general tune and sync on the carbs put them on and it idles fine but when i give it even a little throttle it backfires out of the exhaust and dies i have done ear shave coaster and it has cobra exhaust any help would be amazing thanks

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
did you re-jet with the ear shave? if so, what jets, what did you set your mixture screws to? where di you rout the rear carb vent line? did you cap off the right side carb vacuum line?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bike came with the exhaust and no air box so i dont know if it has been rejeted or not i capped off the vaccum line and the vent lines are just sitting there and i set the air mixture screws to 2 1/2 turns out

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks and if i do need to rejet it im in phoenix az right around 1000 ft above sea level what would be a good jet size for my set up

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
ok thanks and if i do need to rejet it im in phoenix az right around 1000 ft above sea level what would be a good jet size for my set up
Send Lance368 a pm.. he is the man when it comes to jetting... he got mine right for my earshave first time go.

try running the Vent hose inside the frame where it gets less wind... although it sounds more like you are running out of fuel at higher RPM's... how is your battery voltage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks i filled the carbs with sea foam and gonna let them sit for a few days and see if that helps if not ill get new jets thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, except when it idled I could hear this sort "whoosh" or vacuum leak sound... turns out that when I reassembled the carbs, one of the diaphragms didn't seat right. I opened the top of the carb, reseated it and fired it up again and it worked well after that. Worth a look if you don't find anything else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts