Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was road guarding for a benefit ride and came to my stop and the bike died and wont start...it just clicks..
The battery was fully charged a few days ago.
Did the stator mod last spring with a new TPE stator and r/r (which has been relocated)

Im hoping its just the battery, and not the charging system.
So far since getting the bike out of storage ive only put on about 50 miles.

Today i rode it to town about 20 miles and around town and then met up for the ride..and the bike was riding fine...made it for like 25 miles of the ride before it died at my stop where i was to stop traffic.
The chase vehicle had a trailer and loaded me up and took me back to town.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Check your Stator connections....
The three wires from the stator to the r/r ...some riders cut off the butt connectors, then solder those connections. Check/Clean the contacts on the R/R connector.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Or better yet, run the 3 stator wires straight to the RR with new wires instead of the old wiring, and run the regulator outputs directly to the battery with new wiring, bypassing the old wiring harness. If there was some short or crimped wire anywhere in there, you will have bypassed it if you do this; plus, it gives you better power, and it helps if you use a heavier gauge of cable than the original as well.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks right now got my truck and trailer I'm going to go pick it up I will have to look into it tomorrow I got too much going on tonight but I did pick up some oil and filter so I can drain the oil out and pull the stator and check it

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You might avoid pulling it if you check things with a multimeter first... it could be something as simple as a loose wire.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Agreed with Ceal...a TPE stator rarely quits...and since it was so sudden instead of gradual, I suspect a connection or the RR itself...doubt much its the stator...

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks... i will go thru it and check out stuff tomorrow.

i know theres a thread with info on checking the ohms and stuff for the stator and r/r to see what they are at and supposed to be at...but i cant find it...
anyone have a link to that thread or info/diagrams??

I swore it was like a check list of stuff to check and what they should read at.....

I got the bike trailered home, its in the garage..

thanks guys...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
thanks... i will go thru it and check out stuff tomorrow.

i know theres a thread with info on checking the ohms and stuff for the stator and r/r to see what they are at and supposed to be at...but i cant find it...
anyone have a link to that thread or info/diagrams??

I swore it was like a check list of stuff to check and what they should read at.....

I got the bike trailered home, its in the garage..

thanks guys...
Here is my version, pretty much simplified with less numbers.Trust me on this, walk through the steps outlined and you will isolate the problem before tearing it apart.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24093

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys...going to try to tackle it today if it doesnt rain.

Plus i gotta put my battery on the charger..shouldve done that last night lol.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have tested my R/R, its a rebuilt i got from TPE, and from A1 to M it gets 27 and it should be 0, and at A1 to Battery, its suppose to get 200-600, and it gets like .98

What would cause this to go bad??? Keep in mind it isnt in the stock location, its been moved to back by the passenger foot peg.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That sucks... never heard about a problem with a TPE replacement before.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah i emailed tim, it being a holiday i dont expect a fast reply.

Is there any way to CHECK the STATOR, or am i missing that?

I mean at this point by running the test on the r/r i know it has an issue.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Yeah i emailed tim, it being a holiday i dont expect a fast reply.

Is there any way to CHECK the STATOR, or am i missing that?

I mean at this point by running the test on the r/r i know it has an issue.
You can check it at the bullet connectors coming from the stator itself. You need to set the multimeter to AC and should see +40 AC on the meter. Anything below that indicates a problem.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts