Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the majority of owners say they only got it because (given to me, cheap cause it had an issue, etc).

The first one i got (of 6 total now several years later) wasnt my first choice. I felt it looked dated, and even knowing it rode like a dream i had issues overlooking it's 1985 cosmetic design. I bought it anyway from my uncle (his second Vulcan cause he loves how they ride and chose it both times). After accepting its flaws, I've grown to prefer it over anything else for it's outstanding comfort and attitude on the road. Nowadays I won't be without one, though i own other things, as it's my comfort zone where i know its limits and take it to them every chance i get. It doesn't have enough power to get away from me, but plenty to always be in the right mood to boogie. Legendary comfort, and all these years later i do like the way it looks.

What about you? Were you looking for something else when the Vulcan came along?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was looking for a cheap not running bike to fix for my wife :)
Found one for cheap.
I got it running 1 hour after standing still for 10 years.
I own a Hond CBR1000F SC24. I also bought it not running.
We got a little bike club cold: "the club from 500" only for members with a bike bought under the 500 euro :)

I loved the way this VN750 rides and handels on the road.
I was fixing cosmetic and Technical issus on the VN750 and was looking for spare parts. Than i game along another vn750 :) with a big box of spare parts new and used.
It was running but not charging and optical in bad condition. So i bought this one for my zelf and i'm working on the bike as we speek. Changed Stator - ACCT to MCCT - Earshave - Coasters - new forkseals and oil. Sparkpugs.
Took it appart
Just painted it and put new bearings on the head and linkage.

I need to repaint a couple of parts :( but thats ok... I an no painter or mechaninc but a IT Systemmanager

But i think of selling the CBR because i love the VN750

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
mine was sitting as a motor,frame, and wheels next to boxes of parts for $300.I figured it was worth three times that in parts alone,and if I could get it running, hell it's worth it.besides,the group of people I'd met because of that damn pile of parts,I consider that bike priceless

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: mvdijck and One1

·
Registered
109 Posts
For me, the answers lies somewhere in the middle (inexpensive vs what I really wanted). I was looking for a good first bike that was inexpensive and that I would not outgrow / bore of. My criteria was a engine 750-900cc, solid reliable power train, had good looks, and was mass produced (abundant affordable used parts). I do an exhaustive amount of research before I buy anything. The VN750 seemed to edge out (in most categories) rival competitors offerings in the $1000 - $1500 market (my budget). When I found my 1993 VN750, after looking the bike over and taking it for a spin I knew my search was over. Picked it up in excellent running and aesthetic condition with 14k for $1000 complete with 7 years worth of service records. Pic is from the day I purchased it (does not show mods)...

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
Well, I guess I'm at the other end. I bought my 2002 Vulcan brand new off the dealers showroom floor. I had already been to a Yamaha dealer and was about 65% sure I was going to get an R-6, but decided to drive 30 miles out to a Kawasaki/Suzuki/Harley dealer just to see what they offered.
Price wasn't a huge factor....I'd likely have gone for anything under 10 grand.
Really saw nothing I cared for. But while I was there I reasoned I should get something that would be comfortable for a passenger, as being recently divorced, I figured I'd be "dating" again. ;)
So the tiny little rear pads on the sports bike suddenly turned me off to them.
I then spied the Vulcan 750 as I was about to leave.

I actually liked the way it looked. Duel disc brakes in front, shaft drive, and a nice rear seat. It had a tach and speedometer (and a fuel gauge) it was the ONLY cruiser style bike they had with both there, everything else had only a speedometer and most were on the gas tank...which I really hated.

The bike was only $6 grand...which as I said wasn't a huge factor, but I wasn't going to complain. (They threw in $200 worth of accessories, so I used that to buy two helmets.)
The only pain was riding the bike the 30 miles home on the highway and being limited to a 55-60 mph break in speed while everyone else on the road was doing 70-80.

I was disappointed that there were so few aftermarket goodies for the bike. (Other than Kawasaki's high priced stuff) So as anyone here might know, I started making my own accessories.
Compared to some bikes, I wouldn't say the bike was really comfortable, but was a lot better after I got rid of the stock seat, added floorboards, and highway pegs for long trips.

Luckily? I sold the bike before anything really went bad on it. The only thing other than the accessories I had to get for it was a new battery.
So, never really considered it a "cheap" bike, thought the styling was great, and contrary to how I usually buy things, I did very little research on the model before buying it.
Enjoyed owning it all the time I had it. :)

·
2,520 Posts
I had a friend who had one back in the 80's and thought it really looked cool. I couldn't afford a bike at that time. That impression always stuck with me of his 750 and when I went to look for bikes I could afford I went straight to that one. Now several 750's later I still am fixing them up.

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
Although I had been around bikes since the early 70's, I was totally unfamiliar with the Vulcan, or "cruiser" style motorcycles at all until that day at the dealer.
I did want to add... I still own a Vulcan 750, it's sitting in my garage. It's a half done project. It's going to be something to do after I retire...

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I was just looking for a bike, had also been looking at dual-sports. Never paid much attention to the Vulcan in the past, some friends had mentioned the dry spline problem back in the late 80s.

Ran across my 2003 in an ad, contacted the seller one evening, then ended up on two forums researching. Next day I went to see the 750, armed with everything I learned here. I hammered the seller and made a deal.

It didn't run so I couldn't ride it, if I had test rode it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Just don't remember any other bike being so uncomfortable. Still looking at maybe a 900 or a solo seat if I keep my 750. Not that I don't like it, I do, but the ergonomics kill me.

I shipped my Mustang seat to the Netherlands, that guy didn't like it either.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For me I just sort of ended up with the Vulcan. I had a Honda Shadow 500 and the frame cracked and twisted on it one day, it was apparently rusting out internally. My dad had just bought a VN900 Classic and was trying to sell his 750 so when he saw my bike break he offered to let me buy the 750 for half his asking price and just pay him when I could. Now I don't plan of getting rid of her until I just plain wear her out or one of my daughters decides to take up riding.

·
Boy Howdy !!
8 Posts
I never even knew I owned a Vulcan, not for the first month anyhow. what happened was a good friend of mine started a used car business and for some unknown reason he needed to put the bike in someone's name, well around a month or so he tells me this and shows me the bike, now I'm 5'6 so touching the ground on most bikes was a problem the Vulcan solved that and seeing how it was already in my name already I bought it on the spot. I have nothing but good things to say about the bike, runs nice, looks good and even though it's a little older than most out there I''m thinking well so am I.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I was shopping around after taking my MSF riders course, and figured a budget of $1500 cash was reasonable after seeing all the garbage that was available for finance used

Saw a sweet '85 Honda 750 Magna, but the guy flaked on me on the weekend I went down to Orlando to buy it. Found a local scooter shop that had a few used bikes for good prices. I test rode a Honda Shadow 750, but didn't like the hard-mounted engine, stance, or the flaky electronics. Shop had a Shadow 1500 for the same price, but it had the same issues and I just didn't think I needed a bike that big

The Vulcan was sitting in the corner. It had saddlebags already on it and the built-in small sissybar, so it ticked all the boxes for me, and I liked the way it rode on the test drive a lot better than the Shadow even though the carbs were gummed up and the thing ran halfassed, so I bit the bullet and went for it. Rode it home that day and started working on it as soon as I got it back home to Jax.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was looking at buying a good, fairly cheap second hand bike and as such, checking out listings for Vulcans, Intruders, Shadows and the like. Although I always wanted to have a HD (still want it, I think, eventhough really happy with the 750), they are way more expensive (even second hand) here in the Netherlands (at least $7000 for a second hand I'd like) and I came across the VN 750 I now own.

Love the fact that it has two front brake discs and shaft drive and mine has low mileage as well (from first owner); great value for a lot of bike. Great to get mileage under my belt given that I've only started to ride motorcycles just now (at 45). And who knows, I might keep this one forever...

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Needed a cheap first bike around a grand. Ended up being a blessing in disguise as learning to wrench on it has been quite beneficial.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Needed a cheap first bike around a grand. Ended up being a blessing in disguise as learning to wrench on it has been quite beneficial.
amen to that! wrenching is such a valuable skill, I wouldn't be half the mechanic I am today without all the tests the Vulcan gave me

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I was looking for a bike and really liked the look of the shadow, so I was scanning craigslist daily to find one at the right price. Nothing ever came along, but I eventually ran across a post for a vn750, which I'd never heard of before. Looked it up and liked what I saw. Bought it in good working condition for less than I ever could have found a shadow.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I guess an interesting question to add to this discussion would be. ..

Knowing what you know now, and have experienced with owning the Vulcan, if you could go back in time for a do over...would you still have picked this bike?
I still don't know the answer to that question... hahaha

I probably would have, this bike is a lot of fun and has taken well to my modifications.

Maybe that Shadow 1500 would've been more fun...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wanted one--just bought it Saturday!

I've been riding different motorcycles for quite a while. I even had an '86 Vulcan 750 between 1991-1996 or so. Then I had kids, and there was less time for riding, the bike sat, and well--eventually it got sold, and I didn't have a bike for a few years. That didn't last though, and I've had quite a number of different bikes since then. I've tried the 1400 Intruder and the 1100 Shadow Spirit, but sold both of those for various reasons. Right now my "main ride" is a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere. There's really nothing that bike can't do. . . or so I thought.

My son (23 yo) has recently taken an interest in learning to ride, so I picked up an '86 Kawasaki 454. It was in pretty good cosmetic condition, but it needed lots of maintenance. I bought it from the original owner, and he had left it sitting for a number of years. So, I ended up putting another $500 into it, which isn't really that much considering all the parts I replaced (pretty much all rubber parts--tires, hoses, a couple switches, filters, and the like). Then I got to thinking--this bike is fun and all, but what would be even better? Well, the answer was obvious (to me anyway)--a 750 Vulcan! Yeah, I wanted something just a little bigger with the same liquid cooling, only a little more room, a little more hp, and hydraulic valves.

So, I'm looking it over now. I got an '03 with 16,000 miles on 'er. She's got a couple of leaks. I've got some 0-rings on order for the spark-plug well, so we'll see if that can be taken care of. Also went through the shaft drive last night with the Honda Moly 60 paste. I have to say, I've had my share of shaft drives over the years (Intruder, Shadow(s!), ST1100, Super Tenere), but I've never seen one that was worse in terms of how dried and rusty the splines were. I'm glad that I got in there and got that lubed in time.

So, this is ending up being more of an introductory post than anything, but yeah--I cross-shopped a couple of other bikes (Star Bolt, Road Star, Harley Dynas), and just decided to go with the Vulcan. I don't want a big heavy bike, and I've always been partial to liquid-cooling. Also, I'm cheap, so that sealed the deal!

My plan is to make up some forwards for the bike as soon as I get the time. I'm just going to have fun with it.

GDI

1 - 20 of 65 Posts