Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 vulcan 750 with 22k miles with original electrics. I bought bike new so I know it's never been into. Are some years better then others as far as the stator go. I never realized these bikes had such issues with electrics until I started reading all this info. The reason I inquire I ride great distances and I would hate to have probs 500 miles from home. thanx......:confused:

·
rider
213 Posts
hey bkmartinturbo.

welcome to the forum.

as far as i know, there's no correlation between certain production years and failed stators. i think people have been trying to find some sort of pattern for years now, but without success. the last thing i heard (over on the yahoo! groups forum) was that there's a theory that if the stator goes one time then it's more likely to go another time.

i have a 91 and i just put the second stator in. fortunately, during the first replacement i invested in the toc modded engine cover (tocmanufacturing.com) and so the second replacement took all of one hour to do.

best recommendation would be to buy a voltmeter for your bike so that you can monitor the charging system while you're riding.

let us know if you have other questions.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
I'm not sure the stators on these bikes are more prone to failure than others. But it's a lot more trouble to get to them, for sure. So when it happens on one of our Vulcans, it's a much bigger deal. Remember that this place is like a hospital; you're going to hear about every problem someone needs help with. Not too many posts to the effect that: "I've ridden 50,000 miles with no problems!"

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
There was a thread here a while back asking folks how many stators they had installed or the number of miles on their original stator. Should be able to find it with a search. IIRC, EdAlbris had over 75,000 on his original. But he's in UK where the temps are cooler. Many folks think heat has a lot to do with stator longevity.

Member in Phoenix replaced his stator twice, the last two about a year apart. He rigged up an oil line to spray onto and cool the stator and hasn't reported a problem since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts