Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Did the Engine Pull to replace the stator and also did the stator mod.

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  thtanner 
#1 ·
Hello my name is Garrett. I just finished the engine pull to replace my stator and did the mod cutout.Everything seemed to go well .Put all new gaskets on and o rings.Started to put the bike back together and found the shift shaft washer on the floor.Thats the inside washer on the shift shaft at the end before the cover goes on.Need some advice about this washer and its purpose ? I see that there is 4 washers in a row there on the shaft.Can the bike be ran without that last washer on the shaft.I even replaced the oil seal gasket at the end of the shift shaft. If anyone has some advice on this please let me know.I would be greatfull.

Sincerly Sir Garrett :(

#2 · (Edited)
Hello my name is Garrett. I just finished the engine pull to replace my stator and did the mod cutout.Everything seemed to go well .Put all new gaskets on and o rings.Started to put the bike back together and found the shift shaft washer on the floor.Thats the inside washer on the shift shaft at the end before the cover goes on.Need some advice about this washer and its purpose ? I see that there is 4 washers in a row there on the shaft.Can the bike be ran without that last washer on the shaft.I even replaced the oil seal gasket at the end of the shift shaft. If anyone has some advice on this please let me know.I would be greatfull.

Sincerly Sir Garrett :(
Are you talking about the 13mm "C" clip (mounted up against the engine case - inside the outer Damper/Stator cover), which prevents the shift shaft from moving (abnormally 1" -2") horizontally in & out the engine case ?
:smiley_th

#3 ·
I would take the side cover back off and put the washer or snap ring (whichever may be the case) back on properly. The snap ring prevents the shaft from getting pushed into the engine, and the washer prevents the snap ring from binding on the side cover (I think?)

If you're careful, you should be able to wiggle the over off the shaft without damaging the oil seal. Put a little molly grease on the shaft when your putting it back together to let the oil seal slide on nice and smooth.

#4 ·
Oh ok that explains why there are washers on both ends with snap rings in the middle.I wasnt aware that the shifter shaft would move in and out ,because it seems pretty sturdy.So if I leave that one outside washer out,the shaft could move into the engine.That probably wouldnt be to good.Ok thanks for the information it has been helpful.Looks like I will have to pull the engine again and pull the covers to get that washer in place :BLAM:

Thanks Again for the input .

Sir Garrett

#5 ·
....just sayin'.....
A few of us, including myself, have mysteriously lost that "Cir-Clip"....
I added short piece of hose (split lengthwise) over the shaft to hold shift rod out....(snug w/play....not tight) ...rode thousands of miles w/o issues.....a few others have done the same......otherwise, an engine pull to remove the outer (Damper) Cover to replace the $0.50 -13mm Cir-Clip.

#6 ·
Oh it has been a accidently left out piece by others.Good to know that has happened to others.I think the oil sticks the washer to the back side of the stator cover and when you are pulling the cover you dont see it stuck on the back side of the cover while you are trying to unhook the stator and timing wires that are still connected ,then the small thin washer falls off when you cant see it.Unfortunetly I had 2 big wooden blocks under my bike holding the engine up and it fell between the blocks where it could not be seen.Ok I think I am going to try to add that split hose to the outside of the shift shaft to keep the shaft from moving in or out.That sounds a million times better then pulling the engine again.Thanks for the information update. :)

Thanks again :)

Sincerly Garrett

#8 · (Edited)
Might be best to pull the foot lever off and put the hose on without splitting it.

The washer fell off mine the same way, luckily I caught it before putting the cover back.
Many lose/pop-off the Cir-Clip when replacing the Shift Lever (hammer pressure).

NOTE: !
When replacing the Shift Lever, it would be very wise NOT to exert any kind of heavy pressure on the Shift Shaft inward (I advise NOT TO)......as in DO NOT hammer/pound Shifting Lever on thus placing heavy pressure on your Shift Shaft internals......
.....I advise to split a (HD Fuel) hose.......works ALL day long !
hth

#11 ·
Hi all I just wanted to post a update on how my bike has turned out.Thankfully since taking my bike out for the first time the other day since the engine pull and the stator mod, it shifts just fine with no problem with out that last washer on the inner shifter shaft. :) Also the motorcyle seems to have brighter lights and now has more of a full pull of continued excelleration through all gears.Putting a new stator and rectifier in was the best decision I could have made.My bike never had a full pull in all gears before especially in the top 5th gear.I now know that the electrical system needs to be running perfectly to get the top performance out of the bike. I to was having the bike's tac drop suddenly and stop without warning,but the touch of the key would bring it back to life.Then decided to replace the ignition swich.That stopped the bike from the tac problem.Then the battery wasnt getting charged and the lights seemed dimmed and never could seem to get a full excellerated pull.So now I feel that I know how my Vulcan rode the first day off the show room floor.:motorcycl
Thanks again for the input.:beerchug:

Sincerly Sir Garrett > riding again in the mountains of Colorado.

#12 ·
Sounds like you have her all sorted out. Great to hear!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.