Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally did the ear shave and coasters! Sure does look much better and seems a bit louder.

The bike wouldn't start at first until I pulled one of the air filters and covered up the intake with my hand. Started up, I put the filter on, adjusted the idle, and it seemed to be running just fine!

I had dumped the remainder of my SeaForm bottle in the 3/4 full tank, so it was a bit smoky. However, I noticed smoke coming from the rear cylinder's exhaust where it meets the head. I have never seen smoke coming out of there. I guess since the SeaFoam makes the exhaust smoke so much that the once invisible exhaust leak is now... visible. I saw this before doing the conversion while using SeaFoam, so I don't think its something I did.

Plausible?

·
Registered
707 Posts
id recomend new crush gaskets.... alot of the guys on here can give you the actuall part number or you could just search for them.... i think they are around like 10-20$... could be cheape..... not exatcly sure

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
I think they are something that can be purchased at the Hardly Davison shop (they usually have them in stock, a dealer most times has to order them)
Charlie

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I bought two sets at HD just in case I wanted to put my jardines back on. They were less than 20$.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I finished putting it together today and wow, it hasn't run this well in a while!! Didn't notice any smoke though. I think I will order a set of gaskets to keep around just in case I need them...

Thanks for the part number!!

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Make sure that the exhaust header nuts or fully tight. I found one of mine missing just the other day. I just installed a new nut and my exhaust leak went away, you may not really need new gaskets. My bike is a 04 not that old, if yours is a lot older maybe new gaskets would be the way to go.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is also an 04.

I took it for a ~40 mile drive today and it burned through nearly 2/3 of my tank of gas!!! When trying to troubleshoot my stumbling issues, I poured nearly the entire SeaFoam can in there, could that have killed my mileage? Ran like a champ though... and started up right away, which it never did, not even when new!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup... One thing I did notice is that sometimes my RPMs would tend to hover near 2k for a few seconds after rolling off the throttle. Then it would go back down to 900rpm or so

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The hose that went to the right side ear, did you hide it up under the fuel tank where air will not get to it from a draft???? Unless yours is connected under the fuel tank.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea... well... that may be the problem!

Does that hose come from the T-fitting between the carbs? I'm pretty sure I hooked up that hose to the breather filter on the right side of the motorcycle where the ear used to be. As for vacuum leaks, I will check the hoses, but as of right now, I suspect that my makeshift plug for the rear carb may have a vacuum leak (piece of cut down vacuum hose with a screw stuck inside)

Also, my needle shims may be too thick... I used 2 shims, which, from looking at a picture just now, seems to equal 3, maybe 4, small carb shims.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
That hose needs to be out to the atmosphere, not to the air filter. You can filter it if you like. I used a lawn mower fuel filter, and shoved the hose up under the fuel tank.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm... right from the verses:

One filter was used for the crank case and the other for the carb breather hose.
I bought the same EMGO filters that were mentioned in that post and put them others have. So is that info wrong or does that just not work?

I will relocate and try again...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Yes, that info is right. I just want to make it clear that the carb breather hose does not go to the carb filter. It is a totally different small filter that just goes at the end of the carb breather hose.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, I went ahead and removed one of the washers from the carb needles and after some tweaking, ended up leaving the the carb screws at 2 1/2 turns out. Also redid the right vacuum plug. I only went around the block a few times, but it didn't do that briefly hanging at 2k thing. Seems a bit more responsive as well :rockon:

The motorcycle starts up right away! It never started up so quick, not even when new. 2 or 3 cranks and its on. I'm still in shock about this. It used to be pretty hard to start up.

Got the Clear Alternatives LED brake light on too. All set to go for tomorrow's ride :smiley_th

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully it will do better than the ~20mpg I got last week lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everything went well! Got through the 40 mile journey with the fuel gauge needle still near the full mark. This was mostly city riding too. Wasn't hanging up at 2k like before and seemed a bit more responsive down low (probably because it was getting too much fuel before?)

It's definitely MUCH better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts