Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some lowers yesterday and will post some picks when I get the shape the way I want them. I must say, HUGE difference in my ride on the highway. I was doing 65 and felt like 40. Just did the two at the blinker level, Going to do some thinner ones for lower down. My head wasn't being battered around any longer either.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Motorcycle-Lowers-low-deflectors/

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I knew you would like them, I found them to make a huge difference as well.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just doesn't seem like they would do anything. Going home yesterday, there was virtually no buffetting by the trucks and traffic either. It was bizarre. I felt like I was riding higher too (ok that is all in my head but). The ride just felt way more stable at 65-70mph on hot ass highway turbulence.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It just doesn't seem like they would do anything. Going home yesterday, there was virtually no buffetting by the trucks and traffic either. It was bizarre. I felt like I was riding higher too (ok that is all in my head but). The ride just felt way more stable at 65-70mph on hot ass highway turbulence.
tell me after yo have had them a while if your gas mileage goes down a little, or it could be I ride faster on the high way because it is more pleasant than it used to be at higher speeds.:)

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tell me after yo have had them a while if your gas mileage goes down a little, or it could be I ride faster on the high way because it is more pleasant than it used to be at higher speeds.:)
That may be so because now I'm kinda thinking during the summer when traffic on the deathway is a little lighter, I might take that a few times a week. I may even try some thinner lowers way down on the arms below the piston area.

I need to work on a better shape to these anyway. Also need to find a better way to cut this plexiglass than with a jigsaw.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I would suggest lexan. One small rock & your lowers are gone. Plex brakes way to easy.
I would suggest 1/8" minimally, 3/16" ideally. Try a local sign shop to get it.
Home whatever stores are not likely to carry the thicker stuff.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It isvthe lexan. Like quarter inch. Thicker than my windshield i think.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Good deal. If you sand the edges nice & smooth. You can use a propane torch & glaze (melt) the edge. This will give it a nice finished appearance.
I'd definitely practice on a peice of scrap! Don't hold the flame in one place but move it slowly back & fourth. You'll see it start to glaze.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Pretty Cool Goofy!!! Good Job

Denny - do you have pics of your's?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Pretty Cool Goofy!!! Good Job

Denny - do you have pics of your's?
yeah, here is a pic of them on mine beneath a fairing,

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think this weekend I'm going to re cut mine. Yours look way better than mine. Unfortunately, my blinkers are almost right in the middle of my tree so i's have to split up my lowers into four parts to get them that long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts