Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the chance to do the ear shave procedure recently. Bike has been running great and been enjoying messing around with it. Reed valves and right side carb vaccum lead plugged, Uni filters installed, and k&n crankcase filter for the crankcase breather hose. Put everything back together and for a moment it sounded like it was going to run fine, but it died and will no longer start. I figured this might be because I didn't rejet, so I just put in some 140/40s and 2 shims on the jet needles (haven't adjusted air mix screws because I cant get those darn lead caps out). Was hoping this would solve my issues, but no luck, not even a sputter. I'm starting to think its a stuck float, but I'm a noob with these kinds of things so any ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked both, I see spark, but my plugs look pretty nasty so I'm going to replace them anyway. the fuel flow seems very uneven with the front output flowing more than the rear. Not sure what this means, but I was reading some old threads and saw someone who said their starter wouldn't create enough vacuum to open the petcock valve, is this a valid question?

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
Checked both, I see spark, but my plugs look pretty nasty so I'm going to replace them anyway. the fuel flow seems very uneven with the front output flowing more than the rear. Not sure what this means, but I was reading some old threads and saw someone who said their starter wouldn't create enough vacuum to open the petcock valve, is this a valid question?
It doesn't take much vacuum to open the petcock.

Fuel lines not running uphill and no loops in them?

Does it seem to be rich or not getting fuel?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the plugs are black so it was rich, which makes sense as I'm at 5600 ft. but since its not running now I feel like its not getting any fuel. no loops, I can't get the fuel to flow evenly, but by changing the orientation of the fuel lines it will favor one or the other (which also makes sense duh). Should be able to change the plugs today and see how that works.

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
the plugs are black so it was rich, which makes sense as I'm at 5600 ft. but since its not running now I feel like its not getting any fuel. no loops, I can't get the fuel to flow evenly, but by changing the orientation of the fuel lines it will favor one or the other (which also makes sense duh). Should be able to change the plugs today and see how that works.
Maybe the petcock is clogged. ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe, I'm leaning towards no. Both sides will flow and lots of gas comes out, but maybe I just don't want to have to clean the petcock. I think I burned through my solenoid, the bike has been having a tough time turning over and will click, new one on the way. This ear shave better be worth it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help, suddenly she runs. I replaced the battery and solenoid, I must have left it on too long or tried to start it too much somewhere along the way. After the battery replacement, she still wouldn't run, but I switched the petcock to reserve and she started. I switched it back to on and everything is still running smooth, hopefully thats the end of that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts