Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The needle bounces a little bit. No real movement when I rev it. Bounces erratically when idles, up to 3000 and down, but no real reading. Checked all connections, cleaned and greased. Also check black to the coil and greased it. Still same thing. I did notice when I was taking it apart the metal bracket is broke, thought it was just loose, so I put a washer in it to stiffen it.. Obviously was hit. Temp gauge is fine, so do I need to replace the tach? How can I tell if it is the coil? Seems to be running fine. I am so confused.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
if the front jug is firing, and the coil is working, I think the tach is fried.
It runs off the electrical signal from the front coil. If you are sure all the connections are good, then it might be a problem internal to the tach housing.

I don't think they are repairable, but then again I never opened one to try.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The needle bounces a little bit. No real movement when I rev it. Bounces erratically when idles, up to 3000 and down, but no real reading.
You've described my tach exactly...please keep us informed once you do find the solution, be it a fix or a new tach.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
What KC stated is 100% correct. Check all the wiring in between...if it ends up that it IS the actual tach, then any electronic/digital tach will work....all it basically does is measure the number of timees a cyl sparks/min vs the old style mechanical, which ran off a gear that measured crankshaft revolutions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any recommendations on a new tach? Just wondering what works well/ looks good on our bikes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts