Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what is the best thing to use on the black metal and plastic parts on the bike? Armorall and the like works good on my saddle bags and things you don't usually touch, but what about the seat, handle bar grips, foot-peg rubber, other black stuff on handle bars??

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
for plastic like the radiator shroud, neck covers, air box sides, tool box and coolant bottle cover I like to use turtle wax ice polish (the liquid). no residue and it makes it look awesome, rich and dark black.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Just today I was wondering what to use on my seat to keep it looking nice. Cool thing somebody already started this thread. What does everyone else use on their seats?

·
Registered
62 Posts
i used some stuff called new black on my extremely faded rad shroud and neck covers. looked like new parts when done. bought it at walmart.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I use either Pledge or Armorall on the plastics and rubber. The seat I use Pledge for a quick wipe down and saddle soap for a good cleaning. Yes some will say that Pledge will make it slippery but after a couple miles it wears off but the shine is still there.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
does any of that stuff leave residue that would stain or something? Saddle soap looks like it does... but I've not used it, just looks that way.

·
Registered
796 Posts
does any of that stuff leave residue that would stain or something? Saddle soap looks like it does... but I've not used it, just looks that way.
As long as you use a clean cloth after and giving it a good rub down there is no residue. The pledge leaves no build up so that is what I use the most. It works great on the windshield as well.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I use walmart pledge on my windshield daily.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I'm gonna have to get a windshield just to use pledge on it then... lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
If your seat is real leather(not sure about some of this synthetic/marine leather stuff), rather than using saddle soap, which tends to be waxy and sticky, use Lexol. I used to clean and recondition tons of leather tack and harnesses when I worked with horses years ago and Lexol really cleans and reconditions older leather and puts the suppleness back in.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
If your seat is real leather(not sure about some of this synthetic/marine leather stuff), rather than using saddle soap, which tends to be waxy and sticky, use Lexol. I used to clean and recondition tons of leather tack and harnesses when I worked with horses years ago and Lexol really cleans and reconditions older leather and puts the suppleness back in.
Hmmm, not thinking of the bike but other leather, where do you find Lexol, Co-op, Tractor Supply, or maybe china-mart...???
BTW-What part of Tenn. are you located, I'm in South Cent. Tenn., Winchester...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Bat
161 Posts
You definitely don't want to put ArmorAll on your tires! If it gets on the treads it is very slick, especially if wet. I put some on my car steering wheel years ago, and it is still quite slippery and I wish it weren't...have washed it a lot, but can't get the stuff off... any ideas, btw? Great on dashes and ragtops(plastic ones).

·
Registered
796 Posts
You definitely don't want to put ArmorAll on your tires! If it gets on the treads it is very slick, especially if wet. I put some on my car steering wheel years ago, and it is still quite slippery and I wish it weren't...have washed it a lot, but can't get the stuff off... any ideas, btw? Great on dashes and ragtops(plastic ones).
If you use the Armorall wipes with care you can put it on the sidewall of the tires. It helps the tires from weather cracking. If you do get a little on the chicken legs as some call them it wears off after 1 or 2 corners. I have been doing this 7 years and have had no wipe outs because of it. I have said it before that if you get to the point of Armorall on your sidewalls your scraping more then the pegs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts