Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I am in process of replacing brake pads, cleaning calipers, replacing calipers boots and brake fluid exchange..... Removed the calipers, and in process of clearing them, this rubber part of the caliper piston just popped out
I couldn’t find anything about this part in repair manual, looks like OEM parts resellers selling it like a part of the caliper piston .

This rubber piece slides easily in and out, should I just put some grease around it and place it inside the piston housing?! Thank you.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
I wouldn't grease it, just clean and dry. Don't want grease in your brake fluid, or grease melting out onto the pads and rotors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Except fuel tank treatment, I did replace all small coolant hoses and pipes with new ones, fresh coolant, new engine oil and oil filter, new air filters, fresh final gear oil, fresh carburetor, new spark plugs, new battery ...... Also replaced some cables, rear brake cable, clutch cable, throttle cables and lots of cleaning .... I started up the bike first time today after 4 years hibernation ! What a beautiful sound ! I am still waiting on local Kawasaki dealer for some parts so I can put front brake back together. I am very impatient to ride the bike again, anyway waiting on DMV for new registration card.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi there, couple of weeks ago, finally put front brakes together and went for a ride..... Looks like bike does not accept throttle very well ? With a light throttle everything looks fine, but with a heavy throttle bikes chocking and backfiring?! Basically I can not go over 40-50mph.....

·
Registered
855 Posts
There is a vent tube that comes from the top of the two carbs, that might be the culprit. I tucked mine into the frame tube so it sits in still quiet air

·
Super Moderator
2,579 Posts
Yes sounds like the classic vent tube issue. Either pushed too far into the holder in right side ear (stock filters), or with ear shave it’s in turbulent airflow. That vent tube must be open to air but no wind or turbulence other wise the fuel level in the float bowls is incorrect

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Make sure the fuel lines aren't running uphill.

Check the vents too.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Nice, glad you got it running at highway speeds again. And WOW! Your bike looks supremely clean. I like that tank color a lot.

·
Member? ... check.
554 Posts
Evaporust clean up the rust inside the tank (after couple of days soaking), but if you leave it like that rust is going to come back, has to be treated with something. This POR 15 is not easy to aplay, bunch of long steps, but on the end it leaves smooth finish.
Sorry I couldn't catch this thread sooner. I used a pour-in type sealer once on a tank, and it eventually broke down, and was a problem again sluffing flakes. If you don't want to use a sealer, you can eliminate the rust chemically with a product I used called OSPHO. It alters the rust oxide chemically and makes it inert. Then, keeping the tank full of gas will likely keep the tank clean. It worked well for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sorry I couldn't catch this thread sooner. I used a pour-in type sealer once on a tank, and it eventually broke down, and was a problem again sluffing flakes. If you don't want to use a sealer, you can eliminate the rust chemically with a product I used called OSPHO. It alters the rust oxide chemically and makes it inert. Then, keeping the tank full of gas will likely keep the tank clean. It worked well for me.
What kind of sealer did you use ?

·
Member? ... check.
554 Posts
What kind of sealer did you use ?
I am fairly sure it was Kreem. I had a very good, clean application. Job went great, and got great initial results. It was 4 or 5 years later, the peeling away started. Luckily, most came out in tact. But it was not easy to get the tank back in shape.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I am fairly sure it was Kreem. I had a very good, clean application. Job went great, and got great initial results. It was 4 or 5 years later, the peeling away started. Luckily, most came out in tact. But it was not easy to get the tank back in shape.
I will keep my eye on it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts