Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have this bike last 10-11 years, unfortunately did not ride it last 3-4 years (yea I know, shame on me) ....

This is how it looked when I bought it, almost in perfect conditions ..... Occasionally I was riding it from time to time, but it's starts liking gasoline from somewhere and I just parked it temporarily..... and after 3-4years here I am:

I am going through the bike right now, cleaning all the rust and grime.
Trying to get rid of the rust, from inside the gas tank, after deep cleaning will replace all fluids, coolant hoses, some cables .....

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
At least you kept it inside.

After you get it running, keep checking the vacuum line for the petcock, it should never have any gas in it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least you kept it inside.

After you get it running, keep checking the vacuum line for the petcock, it should never have any gas in it.
It wasn't inside all the time, spend one year outside under the cover (California) ... Yea, petcock it's all trashed (I did remove it for inspection) .....

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
It wasn't inside all the time, spend one year outside under the cover (California) ... Yea, petcock it's all trashed (I did remove it for inspection) .....
Might be where the extra gas was going.

Still looks pretty clean.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's unbelievable, how much damage, dirt and grime can be found in coolant lines:

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Steel on aluminum doesn't help either. I put grease around the o-ring on mine.

So, umm, you're not married or while the wife is away the mechanic will play?

·
Registered
857 Posts
That Evaporust is great. My stepdad and I got his dad's old Suzuki VStar 650 running again, but the tank was FILLED with rust flakes. We flushed it out with water and he filled it with the Evaporust, swished it around and turned the tank over every few hours for a day or so and it came right back. Unfortunately the bike went right back to sitting, but hey we got it running and put back together again.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
That rotten foam can travel into the carbs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like this motorcycle is going to have second chance. Inside the tank came up nice:

After some polishing tank is ready to go back on the bike:

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Really came out clean inside the tank. Evaporust did all that? Did the POR help much?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really came out clean inside the tank. Evaporust did all that? Did the POR help much?
Evaporust clean up the rust inside the tank (after couple of days soaking), but if you leave it like that rust is going to come back, has to be treated with something. This POR 15 is not easy to aplay, bunch of long steps, but on the end it leaves smooth finish.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts