Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find this a little funny since this issue is the same one I posted about when I first joined the site a while back. I temporarily fixed it, but warmer weather brought it back and I want to be rid of it.

When my bike warms up (esp when it is over 70 out) both my turn signal lights on my idiot panel light up (the hotter the engine the brighter the lights). When this happens, if I blink left or right the front turn signals both blink dimly. My rear signals remain strong, but I notice a faint blinking of the turn signal not being used in the rear as well.

What do you guys think? What wires connect all the signals? If it is a section of the wire that ends in one of those simple flat head 6-pin connectors- I may as well just replace the wire. Anyone know the gauge off the top of their head?

Thanks!

·
Registered
900 Posts
it sounds like your JB.. check the back of it and if it looks burnt replace it... that is if you have traced all the wires to be sure they are not shorted some place... last thing to check would be the swtich itself..I still think its the JB (junction box or fuse box)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bulbs all work (when the engine isn't hot enough). The JC looked ok two weeks ago, but I didn't check directly behind it.

I should have added- when it isn't as hot out you could make the problem go away by physically pulling the wire harness from the headlight part of the harness up. That makes me think it is a wire with bad insulation near the front cylinder, but I didn't notice anything when I inspected all of it.

I was told a while back it could be the blue wire up there since it connects both front signals. Now that I notice it is in fact all the signals I am wondering which wire I should focus on and/or replace. I am a bit confused why it is so prominent on the front but not the rear.

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
You can have a wire with worn insulation in your headlight shell. Although plastic, the "chrome" finish makes it conductive. I wrapped all my wires in there with a plastic bag, as I found a wire had rubbed off a tiny spot of insulation and was grounding out on the shell.

If it does it only when it is hot...it could just be from a wire "expanding" from the heat and making contact.

I would unwrap the wiring harness covering from the tank to inside the headlight shell, look for breaks or holes in the insulation and re wrap it.

KM

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a test I can do for the JB? It looks alrightish from the back. I know there is a conductivity test in the shop manual for the pin connectors going to the JB. I guess that should be a starting place.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Update for anyone interested/I am still a tad perplexed.

I've attached pictures of the JB. I think it looks fine. In fact, it looks not that terribly old. Per Knifemaker's idea- I poked around the headlight shell with the blinkers on. I attached a picture before I started fussing with it. *Random question- you can see two wires at the bottom right that end in a boot but don't go to anything- any ideas on what those are?

Here is what I noticed- if I gave a firm tug up on the large wire harness that goes into the back of the headlight. The problem went away. Sometimes it came back if I pressed all the wires down. I did not notice any nicks, but for the sake of it I gave another 2 turns of electrical tape on the large wire harness above what was there and did the same with the blue wire on the bottom as well since I believe that wire is used by both signals.

Bottom line- it is currently working, but I wonder if a hot day riding over 30 minutes may bring this back (last time I made it go away by simply pulling the harness up a little). Thoughts? Maybe a wire has a small nick somewhere and it is contacting the shell?

Attachments

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Those two wire in the last photo are a ground and hot wire, power to the hot wire all the time. These are for adding a GPS unit, volt meter or any other electrical item that you want to add.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Those two wire in the last photo are a ground and hot wire, power to the hot wire all the time. These are for adding a GPS unit, volt meter or any other electrical item that you want to add.
There is another set of identical accessory leads under the right side cover too.:smiley_th

1 - 9 of 9 Posts