Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work graveyard (11-7) and we have lots o deer here so here is a cheep ($6) mod.

Got em at wallyworld, comes two to a pack. Not real sure if they even work, but what the hell, cheap and its more chrome.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble... But every test I have read, including one by the National Park Service shows they don't work at all, and a few were shown to seemingly attract deer.

Mount up some low watt driving lights and point the right one off to the side of the road. This is what I did and it did let me spot a deer size racoon once...

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I wondered if those things worked. I think they're supposed to be a certain distance from each other which is why i never tried them. Very good idea about adjusting a light to the side.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
I use an "active" device (it makes its own sound, regardless of the bike's speed):

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?manufacturer_ID=16&category_ID=5&product_ID=8367

...but I would agree with the above--if you are making a lot of late night/early morning runs, you definitely need to add some driving lights to your bike to supplement the headlamp. I went the cheap route with a WallyWorld offering that I modded for motorcycle duty.

I would recommend that you look for lamps that cast a wide beam to help you see the roadsides better--in lieu of "pencil beam" lamps. Let your bike's voltmeter "tell" you what wattage bulbs you can use. I burn two 35-watt bulbs in my added lamps, and I still get good voltmeter readings--maybe you can, too.

Let us know what you come up with....:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Folks, let me assure you that deer have no problem hearing an approaching vehicle long before it gets there. So they know it's coming. No need to add noisemakers, they are just a way for the manufacturer to make money.

The problem comes with their unpredictability and their inability to "rationally" make decisions. Because they are prey animals, they are programmed to run from danger. Being fast, it has served them well for ages. So if a Chihuahua that may weigh five pounds starts barking and running at a 250 pound buck, guess what? That buck is gonna run away. Yes, he could stomp the dog into the ground if he considered that option, but that's not an option for him.

Where deer and vehicles get into problems is when the deer perceives the oncoming vehicle as a predator and runs. Remember that a healthy deer can pretty much outrun any of their predators. So the deer does not conceive that a vehicle can travel much, much faster than it can. So often they take off on a collision course with the vehicle and an accident results.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I hate deer!!!!! so many close calls where I live and now its hunting season which usually puts more out of the woods and onto the roads!

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I use to have a 1956 Chevy that the right headlight always shown off to the right side of the road. ( Ponders... maybe from a previous deer strike) :)
Thinks maybe all that hair on the right front fender was from one of those racoons thats as big as a deer!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Flitecontrol basically got it right. There is nothing you can do to make the deer act differently, you just have to slow down and watch out. We have one 80 mile stretch of road about 100 miles away where there are 4-5 collisions between vehicles and elk every week. Believe it or not, most of the impacts are actually side impacts, not frontal. The elk did not run in front of the vehicle and get hit, they actually rammed the side of the vehicle.

I have a non scientific theory. Maybe the elk are so tired of us hunting them that they are now hunting us. Actually I think the real problem is that the area is seriously over populated with elk, and extending the hunting season, and letting more people get licenses would solve a big part of the problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live in a rural area of East Tennessee, and we have a bunch of critters. This area hasn't been hunted in years so the animals are pretty much used to us humans walking and driving around. It's the youngsters that can be the problem. Nearly got a young bobcat one mornig. The next time I saw him all I had to do was crack the throttle and he was gone like a shot. I de-goated the bike and that seems to help encourge them to get off the road.
Ron

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
The next time I saw him all I had to do was crack the throttle and he was gone like a shot. I de-goated the bike and that seems to help encourge them to get off the road.
Ron
I didn't think ditching the belly made that much of an increase in noise.

VN750Rider/Jerry said:
I think the real problem is that the area is seriously over populated with elk, and extending the hunting season, and letting more people get licenses would solve a big part of the problem.
Agreed

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to burst your bubble... But every test I have read, including one by the National Park Service shows they don't work at all, and a few were shown to seemingly attract deer.

Mount up some low watt driving lights and point the right one off to the side of the road. This is what I did and it did let me spot a deer size racoon once...
Not busting my bubble, like I posted dont know if they work, dont care, they look good to me, plenty of other useless chrome stuff on the market.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Just deer ?

Just deer ?...Ive heard 3 roadkilled bear in my immediate area in the last 2 weeks over the scanner (try hittin one of them, lol)...forget the deer count !...(20+)
Solution...strap an old 7.62x39 SKS (shortened) in yer bars, and carry a skinning knife !!!!...Mmmmmmmm...baaackstraaaap....
Best thing for deer (seriously) is to get aux lites (driving lites) and aim em more left and right than the highbeams do....the deer will freeze ("jacking" is a term used for illegally stunning deer at night with a coonlight or other)...
I dont ride at night or early mornings anymore, but may need to soon...my bike came with extra lamps, so may be reinstalling em...its the ONLY thing that REALLY works, without using a firearm...

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Best thing for deer (seriously) is to get aux lites (driving lites) and aim em more left and right than the highbeams do....the deer will freeze ("jacking" is a term used for illegally stunning deer at night with a coonlight or other)...
I dont ride at night or early mornings anymore, but may need to soon...my bike came with extra lamps, so may be reinstalling em...its the ONLY thing that REALLY works, without using a firearm...
Not necessarily so. I had a deer run into the front of my stopped vehicle at night. The headlights were on, and he center punched it right between the lights. It was good news and better news. The good news was the deer wasn't going fast enough to break its neck and wobbled off with a real bad headache. The vehicle was a WWII era jeep with a solid steel bumper. Apparently, that's what the deer hit as the impact shook the vehicle but did no damage to it.

I repeat, you cannot predict what a deer will or will not do. Ditto for a cow.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
well, its possible...

Its possible something was chasing it then...in 35 yrs ore more of riding, deer generally freeze when under lights....bears unfortuanely, dont do that...they wont "bound" into you as deer may, but when they decide to cross the road, they dont care about lights or vehicles(wont even look at you)....and now yer talkin 400lbs plus....that aint no Bambi...
If nothing else, the added lights will help you see it coming, no ?
I had a '53 wideglide front end on my Superglide...I kept the Aux lites and aimed em to extremes(L+R)...I was barhoppin a lot then and rode a lot at night, and these lights prevented many an "oops"....

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Its possible something was chasing it then...in 35 yrs ore more of riding, deer generally freeze when under lights.
No, nothing was chasing it. It was probably it's first encounter with a vehicle since it was a young deer, in an area closed to public vehicles, and it happened several miles from a public road.

The operative word in the last quoted sentence is "generally". Road killed deer are evidence that they don't always freeze.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I commute back and forth to work every day, in all kinds of weather, putting an average of 10K miles per year on the bike over the last three years. It's now getting to that time of year where I'm riding in or home at dawn and dusk, and I'm generally riding through the twisty country roads (prime deer country). This time of year, I keep my head on a swivel and back off the throttle a little bit. As someone said, deer are unpredictable, so I'd just as soon be able to stop quickly enough to give them time to make up their pea-brained minds what direction they're going to bound off in so that I can be on my merry way, whole and with the bike in one piece.

As I've said before in relation to other topics, my safety mechanism is between my ears.

--FA

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Worse than deer....

Worse than deer are gray squirrels...dumb mfs stop in lane sit up and look at you, then go opposite the way you think. At 55, even a squirrel can throw ya....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts