Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey TuxedoSeven, that's just too much for you to handle alone. I wouldn't feel right ;), I'll help and take some up here in Mass.
Hey!!! Y'all leave some fer me, willya?

·
Banned
431 Posts
Yeah... Money pits.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I dumped a load of cash into mine, mostly 'cause I wanted the bike a certain way, not because it needed it. Now I can't find a buyer 'cause nobody who's called cares what mods you've done, they wont pay more than stock value for it. So now I'm gonna take a sweat bike apart and sell the accessories, and return the bike to bone stock so I can get it sold. :baby:

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I totally DISAGREE with most of this thread. My 2001 starts everytime,all the time, doesn't burn oil, doesn't backfire, runs cool, handles well, gets 52-60 mpg, runs with any cruising bike out there, very easy to work on, low maintenance, lightweight, and a fraction of the cost of a comparable new bike. Is it possible that most of the bike problems are owner related?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I totally DISAGREE with most of this thread. My 2001 starts everytime,all the time, doesn't burn oil, doesn't backfire, runs cool, handles well, gets 52-60 mpg, runs with any cruising bike out there, very easy to work on, low maintenance, lightweight, and a fraction of the cost of a comparable new bike. Is it possible that most of the bike problems are owner related?
So you actually COMPLETELY ELIMINATED the popping backfire on decel that these bikes are known for? Mine doesn't burn oil and runs cool too but I have some head and lower cylinder gaskets that are less than ideal. Sound familiar? ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Actually it was my son who got whipped, i just wanted to know if there was really anyone out there (new kid)!! I have a 92' bone stock, and i want to make my little bike a regular on kingsbury grade. I plan to do as many mods as money allows this winter, but i really would like ten more ponies or so. First to go are the ears and the goats belly! Can i just pitch the gb and run a straight pipe into my own muffler as long as i add the kn filters and re-jet?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
So you actually COMPLETELY ELIMINATED the popping backfire on decel that these bikes are known for? Mine doesn't burn oil and runs cool too but I have some head and lower cylinder gaskets that are less than ideal. Sound familiar? ;)
Backfiring completely gone. Cost less than a $1.00 to remedy that. My headgasket is fine. No leaks. No compression loss.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Actually it was my son who got whipped, i just wanted to know if there was really anyone out there (new kid)!! I have a 92' bone stock, and i want to make my little bike a regular on kingsbury grade. I plan to do as many mods as money allows this winter, but i really would like ten more ponies or so. First to go are the ears and the goats belly! Can i just pitch the gb and run a straight pipe into my own muffler as long as i add the kn filters and re-jet?
You can do what ever you want to it. Your own muffs or straight pipe. You're gonna rejet your carbs when you shave it anyway so just do a little research and you'll be fine.

It's been said that takin out the belly can cause a loss of torque in the low end so check into that. Personally it doesn't bother me and I think it mellows the soubd some but if you're lookin to get more at the top end it might be the thing to do. If only these lil' bastards had a 6th gear. I hit 105 and it had more left in it but was definitely screamin in the rpm's.

Incidentally, I haven't found this bike to be hard to work on... but then again, I haven't visited Statorville either ;-)

·
Registered
120 Posts
A guy walks into a cancer clinic and sees a lot of cancer patients. The next morning he watches The Doctors and Dr Oz and the stories are cancer related. Then a friend gets cancer.
That guy is now convinced that everybody has cancer and we should all move to communes and feed on lettuce.
This is a great bike. 100's of thousands sold worldwide and many still on the road. The only design flaw can be removed with a 2 hour arts-and-crafts project.
Read the sites for the other 25 year old bikes and you'll see the same stories. Heck, read the sites for new bikes and you see issues, but you can't get those parts for 25 bucks on ebay.

Just got a driver's backrest for mine (at a great price). If you really don't want yours anymore, I'll give it a good home.
LOL!! That was funny. I don't know why some of you guys get so defensive about these bikes. You'd think you were on the R&D team or the assembly line or something. It really would be interesting to see how many of them are still on the road and how much money has been sunk into them to make them decent. I'm not saying they are junk and no one should buy them. All I'm saying is that it's not the greatest cash and carry daily rider out there. Keep in mind I have almost a thousand dollars in planned upgrades including a teardown and re-build on the engine planned. I know full well it's a total loss when I'm done with it too. This is a fun little bike. What did someone call it? Snotty? It sits pretty high off the ground so it leans way over on the curves, when you peg the throttle it answers happily. It's pretty light and you can get 'em cheap and customize it without spending a fortune. So it has it's pro's and con's. I think it looks retarded stock so I'm making some cosmetic changes too. If I can get $2000 or so out of it when I'm done with it thats fine with me. I promise I'll give all you big time vn750 fans first crack at it too. All I'm saying is for a guy who just wants to buy a bike and ride it without constantly f'ing with it, this is not a good bike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That would be true for any old bike. The guy you're talking about should buy something with a good warranty, new or old.

As for the vn750, this is a sample of where my YouTube video for the stator mod is being viewed. I'd say that there are still a few people interested in them.

Your channel is most popular in these countries/states.

United States

Poland

Canada

Netherlands

Serbia

Finland

Norway

Guyana

South Africa

United Kingdom
Wow thats allot of bad stators!!:smiley_th

·
Banned
431 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Knifemaker is right of course. Many people are buying them cheap because they are old. I remember DSM's, which are Mitsu eclipses/talon/lasers, getting a horrible rep because people would buy old one's and mod the hell out of them without doing any maintenance. Any old bike will have issues if nobody took care of it. And a 20 yr old bike can have problems that need a ton of work and cash to fix, and it may not be worth it to spend the money unless you LOVE the bike. That's what I ran into with mine. I liked it when it ran, but it probably could have used an overhaul, which I didn't what anything to do with, especially with my 1st bike. Bottom line, you usually get what you pay for. If you paid 1k to 1500 bucks, you probably need to do some fixin.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You are correct, sir. Never road. Wanted to learn. Paid $800. for the bike expecting to burn the clutch and throw it away. After 2000 miles, the stator went instead of the clutch, but by then I liked the damn thing. I have now put about another $700. in parts into it (some needed, some silly stuff) and have a really good bike for a total of $1500. Labor is free if you do it yourself.
Agreed. I only paid $1500 for mine and I can do anything it needs myself. I was gonna ride the crap out of it and throw it away also but, as it turns out a new bike isn't in the cards for next year. I kinda wish it hadn't started blowing gaskets after only 2000 miles that I had it but it is what it is. I've said right from the start it's a fun bike to ride. All I'm trying to do is not tell some guy we don't know, "Hey these bikes are awesome you should definitely buy it". Cause they aren't for everyone.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
My 93 must have been babied because I never had a problem with it - ever. It fired up every time, even in Winter. Never popped on decel until I put V&H on it but then I jetted it and it was fine. I never had charging issues, stator problems, back firing problems, problems breathing, carb problems, nothin'. I wanted to take a ride and she was there for me every single time. When I decided to get a larger bike, she IS the reason I stayed with Kawasaki. She single handedly empowered my still-present brand loyalty. She's why I had no apprehensions selling her to a close friend. She's also why I'm getting another VN750...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Curb........Kingsbury Grade huh? Tahoe local? Or Carson Valley?
I'm in G-ville. No longer have the VN, now have a Honda VTX1300, but still check here regularly.
Che

·
Registered
56 Posts
got an 03, new back then. nothing broken with the exemption of a front cylinder base gasket leak last summer (2010). gasket kind of thin was told by the mech at the shop. besides that, only replaced tires (worn down) and changed oil and filter. now in 2011 and still kicking butt with it. :smiley_th

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I hit 44,444 the other day, I did do a stator in 2 days knowing little about bikes, put in a rr and converted accts. 1000.00 for the bike, another 400.00 in parts not counting the many sets of tires I put on it, and the knowledge I gained of bikes in general owning it is "Priceless"! the money I have saved in commuting on it rain or shine in the last few years have paid for the bike and repairs and gear I ride in many many many many times!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts