Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short, i traded an xr650 for my 92 vn750. 4 miles into my first ride on my first ever street bike, the shift fork in the bottom of my motor gave way. luckily the church i got it from covered the repair. in the mean time, i did the r/r and learned very quickly about my bike. then i found your website, started gettin the bug to make it a custom, and more importantly, a harley killer. but i gotta tell ya, this stator thing has me bugged. and that stupid goats belly has to go. anyway, the mods will cost money and i have nice long winters here so i have the time, but is ist really woth it? what kind of performance increase are we talkin' here. if i do all the popular mods, will i be able to catch that damn 883 that just spanked me. or should i just sell it and get a bigger vulcan with no electrical issues?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
How long have you been riding?? I,m just getting at weather you got spanked cause your lack of ridding experience. The vn should more than hold it's own against an 883 HD.

BTW welcome.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I see this is your first post, welcome to the site. So you have nice long Winters where? I assume North somewhere. You should be able to smoke 883's now, bro. Customize your bike whatever way you want. Make it yours and you'll love it that much more. If you're like most here, you'll buy a bike to save money then blow all your money on aftermarket parts for your bike.

Oh yeah, and what kind of church sells motorcycles? I'm joining...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bottom line is no matter what you do you're still gonna have a little bike with all kinds of issues. I think people here spend as much time wrenching on these bikes as riding them. When I bought mine a freind who has had 4 of these said "Don't buy it. These bikes are turds". I didn't listen cause the price was so low and he was right. Nothing but issues. But if you put a few bucks into it it's a fun little turd. Keep in mind you likely won't get what you have into it when you sell it. And unless you're a small guy and think this bike has tons of power you will.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Welcome from South Cent. Tenn. ...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The only real problem in about 30K miles I had was the acct's and the replacement of the r/r. Early on I did have to replace the J-box.
But I am a rather good wrench, so I stayed on top of things. I kept fuel treatment in the fuel during winter and a bat tender on the bat. And also changes oil at 4k miles or so.
The wrenching I did was to add on stuff or make mods to it.
This bike has been good to me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Turd bike

Bottom line is no matter what you do you're still gonna have a little bike with all kinds of issues. I think people here spend as much time wrenching on these bikes as riding them. When I bought mine a freind who has had 4 of these said "Don't buy it. These bikes are turds". I didn't listen cause the price was so low and he was right. Nothing but issues. But if you put a few bucks into it it's a fun little turd. Keep in mind you likely won't get what you have into it when you sell it. And unless you're a small guy and think this bike has tons of power you will.

Yup, Devil is 100% correct. This is a fix and ride, fix and ride motorcycle. It will always have one problem or another. I've seen two posts of people who have been brave enough to take a long trip on the 750. I'll keep trying to sell mine until I find a sucker, er buyer, and then get a 1600 or 1700. I've never owned a bike with so many inherent issues that constantly require repairs. And I have owned many bikes since 1962, many that never had even a small % of the problems my 750 seems to have.

Many might hate this response but down deep they know I'm right.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Yup, Devil is 100% correct. This is a fix and ride, fix and ride motorcycle. It will always have one problem or another. I've seen two posts of people who have been brave enough to take a long trip on the 750. I'll keep trying to sell mine until I find a sucker, er buyer, and then get a 1600 or 1700. I've never owned a bike with so many inherent issues that constantly require repairs. And I have owned many bikes since 1962, many that never had even a small % of the problems my 750 seems to have.

Many might hate this response but down deep they know I'm right.
What year is your bike and how much you pay for it?

I think it has just gotten to the point where the crappy older bikes are being sold and the ones that run well aren't on the market.

You pick up a 20+ year old bike for little cash , you really have no good grounds to bitch about it...especially if you are like the 4th or 5th owner.

I bought my Vulcan new and it ran like a top. It's not the bike itself, it's just old and outdated now, and each year it will only get worse. I got a freind with a 22 year old Honda that has issues too.......

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I agree with KM, I've had 2 new, and one used one, about all I did was mods., the used one I didn't keep too long, as it for some reason didn't have the gitty up the others did...
I'm sure if they had still been in productions I probably would traded for a new one rather than the Sportster, which cost me more...
Don't get me wrong, I do like the girls bike, but there didn't seem to me at least, to be anything wrong with the VN750s...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought my Vulcan new and it ran like a top. It's not the bike itself, it's just old and outdated now, and each year it will only get worse. I got a freind with a 22 year old Honda that has issues too.......
You must have gotten an exceptional one. My buddy bought 4 of these right off the showroom floor. I don't remember what order he had these problems in but they included bad head gaskets, bad lower cylinder gaskets broken ACCT springs bad stators and as we all know faulty carbs. Just because it's normal for a VN750 to constantly backfire doesn't mean it's ok. We also know the electrical system was lousy, stator, RR, etc. The very last one he bought only had a couple thousand miles on it and the lower cylinder gasket blew out and sprayed hot coolant on his leg. That was the last one he had. He said they were such fun little bikes he just kept thinking he got a bad one cause he liked them.
Now, you can get these bike very cheap. They are easy to work on and IMO very good experience if you plan on owning motorcycles your whole life. They are small, light and a blast to beat the hell out of. I'm putting money into this bike knowing full well everything I said above and I have no problem with it. However, the guy asked for an honest opinion about wether it's "worth it". I don't hear anyone bitching as much as I see some opinions I wish I had before I bought this bike. If I had known what I know now I would have saved a bit longer and bought something else. You can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it's still a pig.

·
Registered
273 Posts
:wow:Everyone's insights are valued here. I myself bought an 85 750 (obviously not the origonal motor). The only problem i really had, and was told about when I bought it, was the stator.

Replaced the stator, and did my listed mods. To this day it runs fine.

:smiley_thI believe that it isn't the age but how it is maintained. If the PO didn't take care of it, of course it will have problems. Someone who keeps up on the maintainance on the bike will get more enjoyment and will own it longer.

:doh:Any bike can have problems, get in a wreck, get beat up. It is what we do with the bike when this happens is a big factor in how long it runs and the problems it has.
:itchy-scr

·
Banned
431 Posts
You can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it's still a pig.
Please don't. I don't want my bike to be confused with the guy's across town that wears lipstick.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
You must have gotten an exceptional one. My buddy bought 4 of these right off the showroom floor. I don't remember what order he had these problems in but they included bad head gaskets, bad lower cylinder gaskets broken ACCT springs bad stators and as we all know faulty carbs. Just because it's normal for a VN750 to constantly backfire doesn't mean it's ok. We also know the electrical system was lousy, stator, RR, etc. The very last one he bought only had a couple thousand miles on it and the lower cylinder gasket blew out and sprayed hot coolant on his leg.
I don't think mine was exceptional, and I'd have to say with all due respect, your friend is either crazy or stupid. I would have stopped after the 2nd bike... But even after each one messed up on him, he kept buying one....two more times? LOL

All from the same dealer?

Even brand new, the 750 was not a very expensive bike, I got my 2002 for 6 grand , sold it for $3200 five years later, and have to say I got $2800 worth of enjoyment out if it.
I've read here on this forum and the yahoo one both bad and good over the years, but lately there seems to be more unhappy owners, and my only thought is as I said, the model has reached the end of it's lifespan.

How well the bike is cared for does make a difference, but even with your friends lousy luck with the bike I'd not go as far to call it a bad bike, but at this point in time I too would not recommend one to someone looking for a used bike.

Granted a well maintained bike would be an exception, but unless I personally knew the owner, I'd likely pick another model.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
If you like to wrench, these are good bikes. There likely will be many ongoing problems. I would advise most to find another model that does not have so many inherent issues, and as a result you will enjoy more ride time, and spend less time walking from whereever you were stranded.
Many of the people on this forum do not even ride 750 Vulcans anymore, as they have moved on to larger bikes, or bikes that are more reliable.
The vulcan 750 is a money pit, and you will need another bike to ride while the vulcan is under repair, if you want to ride every day, as I do.
The folks here are an amazing resource for customizing and problem solving. I don't know if you can get that with any other bike on the road.
What ever you choose, best of luck.
Bronson

·
Registered
120 Posts
.. But even after each one messed up on him, he kept buying one....two more times? LOL

All from the same dealer?
I never said he was smart. They weren't all right in a row either. I think he said he had 2 of his own and his ex wife went through 2 as well. In fact I said to him,"why did you keep buying them you're an idiot". He said, "yeah but I told you not to buy this one and you did it anyway".:(

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Mine is a 2000. I've been very happy with it so far but it definitely seems to need more kid glove than previous bikes I've had. The 80 toilet Zuk GS 1100 I fished out of someone's damp cellar, Man you could put pond water in that thing and it would run. It would get you home on 1 of the 4 cylinders if that's all you had left. I parked it in fall and coaxed it back to life in spring without caring too much about maintenance other that an oil change. Fast as hell too but even if you put lipstick on it people would still run for the hills. Anyway, I take much better care of my vn but did let it sit too long without dealing with shutting it down properly when I did and I payed for it with having to break down the carbs, petcock, etc. I think this newer gas is much more damaging than a few years ago. What do you guys think? I have no regrets buying my V, but I do appreciate honest opinions about it. I am thankful (every time I hit it and she fires) that the stator and r/r seem to be just fine, but if I had seen some of these posts before I bought it, I may have been scared off. I'm a competent mech. and can handle most things but that job I'm not looking forward to. And from what I've read, it's pretty much inevitable :(.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Willing to take all those ready to die bikes off your hands. You're absolutely right, they suck. The stators are in a bad spot and the splines go and sometimes the tires go bald. Stop wasting money and time on them. Please contact me when you want them out of your driveways.
Hey TuxedoSeven, that's just too much for you to handle alone. I wouldn't feel right ;), I'll help and take some up here in Mass.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Willing to take all those ready to die bikes off your hands. You're absolutely right, they suck. The stators are in a bad spot and the splines go and sometimes the tires go bald. Stop wasting money and time on them. Please contact me when you want them out of your driveways.
Oh, that's great :smiley_th I've always got some room for some more "junk" too

·
Registered
273 Posts
:wow:And I will deal with the "junk" out west!!!!!:smiley_th

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Every time some one parts one out I wish they were close by so that I could go take off thier hands whole.

I believe the owner has a lot to do with how the bike runs. I sold mine a few months back. The guy had it for sale. I bought it back for 400 less than what I sold it to him for. When I got it back the brand new MF bat was gone. I had truoble starting the bike, the plugs had been fouled. The solenoid was by passed. When i put in gear the engine would pull down and die. An oil change took care of that. The speedo cable was loose. The bike would not rev passed 5k, the plug replacement also took care of that. The bike runs great revs up into the red great again. The man just did not know how to take care of the bike.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts