Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel gauge has never worked since I've owned my bike. Not a huge deal since I tend to use the trip odometer to prevent running out of gas - but an annoyance that I'd like to correct.

Is this a recurring problem for our bikes, or am I just one of the "lucky" ones?

Any ideas if this is electrical or fuel-system related? Seeking suggestions on how to troubleshoot or repair - thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I'd check the electrical leads first - they hook up to the wiring harness just behind the fuel tank (I think it's a two-pin connector - it's small). See if there are any cracks or breaks in the wires, if the pins are really connected, etc. (You might pull the tank and check the wires where they connect underneath the tank as well). Clean the connections well, and put in a little dialectric grease. Alternatively, and if I'm not mistaken ,the fuel gauge works by an electrical float that sits on the gasoline and sends a signal (analog, really) back to the gauge. Maybe someone else has disassembled this? Or just replaced it? I'm getting my tank ready for painting so can take a look at the assembly tonight and let ya know what's going on under there.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Cindy. Will check the el. connections as you suggested. And I believe you are correct re: a float in the tank - recall reading that somewhere. Not sure if it was tinkered with in the past - no outward signs that it might have been - but you never know.

Appreciate any insights you find after looking at your assembly as well.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Fuel gauge has never worked since I've owned my bike. Any ideas if this is electrical or fuel-system related? Seeking suggestions on how to troubleshoot or repair - thanks.
My fuel gauge suddenly quit working one day. I began fretting, fearing something major had gone wrong with my electrical system. As it turned out, a simple connector (white, I think) had come undone while I was installing a new maintenance free battery. Pop your seat open and see if there is a plug (near the fuel tank) that has come undone.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do - thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Pics of fuel sensor

http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=556

Here are the pics I took this evening. There's a "gasket" (plastic cover) that sits over the whole assembly under the tank. Just pop this off. Under that you'll see where the electrical leads from "above" should attach to the sensor itself. CHeck to make sure these are on, clean, etc. Finally, there's the float ball - Clymer's warns about the arm getting bent and stuff, but if that were the case with yours, most likely you'd get bad readings, not no readings. SO my money's on your electrical bits.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic - appreciate the pix and suggestions. Grabbed some el. parts cleaner and dialectric grease on my way home last night - so I know what I'll be doing this weekend! Thanks so much for sharing - I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Fantastic - appreciate the pix and suggestions. Grabbed some el. parts cleaner and dialectric grease on my way home last night - so I know what I'll be doing this weekend! Thanks so much for sharing - I'll let you know how it goes.
Excellent. I bet it's something straightforward and easy - that's usually the way these things go. (As one of my colleagues here likes to say about some dunderhead users of electronic equipment, such as digital tape recorders, "Best results can be obtained in the 'on' position.")

·
Registered
415 Posts
When I was an electronic tech in the USAF, we had a pilot having problems with a piece of communications equipment. The equipment had a 3 position switch, CLR, CYPH, and OFF. He was complaining the equipment didn't work in the official position!!!!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like something I would do. :doh:

Fortunately, to the best of my knowledge, there is no "OFFicial" position for the fuel gauge......;)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did a quick check and cleaning of all accessible el. connections and so far nothing's changed. Plan was to empty and pull tank yesterday and follow your suggestions about under-tank connections BUT plans changed :

Son came home from 1st day at MSF class Sat. VERY excited about finally getting on a bike (our deal was I'd support his desire to get licensed (and grease some skids w/ Mom!) ONLY if he took the class). As he was sharing details of his progress and newly learned basic skills - I offered him my scoot to show me what he's learned so far. Long story short - several trips up and back out street, 1st, 2nd gear only - he looked confident and handled himself/the bike pretty well.

Proud papa. :pepper:

Last trip before heading back into garage: a little too fast on the turnaround, put his foot down while leaning a bit too far and when he realized he wasn't going to make it tried to brake - & dropped her right in front of me. Engine still running, leg pinned underneath and he's panicking trying to lift it up! I got to the kill switch, got him out from under, we picked it up, checked him out (OK) then tended to the bike.

A few scratches on highway bars, clutch lever and pedal, but there was also some coolant that leaked on the road. Spent some time trying to determine from where (couldn't tell), took it for a short test run (everything seemed OK) then set it aside to attend a family wedding. Made sure to reassure him that all was not lost and that I shouldn't have let him try the turns so soon.

Lesson learned : teenage enthusiasm and paternal pride aside, don't give a teenager your 750 after 4 hrs total on a 125 and expect good things to happen! :doh: Heading out now to see if any more coolant leaking (hopefully not) and maybe onto fuel gauge diagnostics. Never boring!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Zoinks! At least he got the "drop" out of the way before the second day of class - that 125 oughta feel light as a feather today for him.

Sometimes you get both coolant and fuel leakage on a drop, and I'm sure someone else can tell ya why. Seems like it's all a sealed deal and should stay put, but it doesn't always (which is why the Everwatchful Dad hit the kill switch!). Always good to double-check the day after, though. Holler if you need any advice on the tank pull!:smiley_th

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I'd guess the coolant possibly came from the overflow bottle.
Slow speed stuff is the toughest. Especially slow/tight turns.
Best of luck to your son.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
fuelish ~ plugs & drops

Re: fuel gauge, I keep expecting you to post that, like me, you just discovered a plug unplugged beneath your seat (near the front by the fuel tank)!

;)

Re: your son dropping your 750: I did the same thing with my new VN 750 -- twice, in my own driveway -- by simply not paying attention. And this is the 4th bike I've owned since the early 80s! (Lucky for me, the edges of the Plexifairing 3 took the brunt of the error!)

:doh:

In any case, it sounds like you were very kind to your son!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news : no more leaking (coolant). Traced it back to the overflow tube (Hyper - you hit it head on) - single telltale drip left over this morning directly under it gave that away. Nothing coming from anywhere else.

Easy Rector - unfortunately, not able to post the simple DOH! re: the unplugged plug. Checked them out when I first got bike and all were "attached" appropriately. Wish that was the case......

Appreciate the kind words towards son - and yes, kinda glad he got his drop out of the way, and hoping it's his last (fingers crossed!). As for me being kind TO him : more or less HAD to since his mother witnessed it and she's already not a fan of him riding, so me bustin' on him wasn't going to help anything.

As for fuel gauge (that IS where I started this thread, right?) - today it came down to pulling the tank or grabbin a ride before the rain came - and since I REALLY wanted to insure all was well after yesterday, anybody want to venture a guess which way that decision went????? :motorcycl

(Cindy, I WILL be taking you up on the offer of advice when I pull that tank ..... ;))

Thanks to all for your follow up.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts