Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am a new member here and this is my second post after my intro.

I have had my '02 750 for a couple of weeks now and I have been using it as a commuter. After reading some other posts here, I can't say I am surprised, but I just had my first electrical problem.

All the way home from work, the bike was rough idling at every stop light, and it even died a couple times when I didn't give it throttle. I pulled in the clutch to coast in the driveway, and it completely died. No electrical at all, not even the headlight. I turned the ignition switch a few times, but couldn't get anything.

I went in to have dinner, came back out to check it. Battery was at 12.8v, no blown fuses, R/R didn't even feel warm. I tried turning it on again, and it fired right up!

I am guessing the problem must be a poor connection in the ignition switch. Any thoughts?

I am guessing that the R/R is not a problem because the battery was charged, is that a correct assumption? As a side note, I have been reading about the mosfet upgrade and was wondering if something like this might work: Mosfet Regulator Rectifier For Kawasaki VN 900 Vulcan / Z 750 1000 2003-2017 | eBay

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Dave

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
sounds like a dirty ignition switch

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: davej323

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Yeah, intermittent power issues with a full charge is probably the switch... I never had that problem with mine, but I only rode it a couple years

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning towards a loose battery connection.
You know, that may have actually been it! The negative lead came off really easy. I have a couple of days off now, gonna experiment with riding it around before I go to all the trouble of tearing apart the ignition switch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, just to be sure it wasn't an issue, I decided to take apart the ignition switch. The contacts and contact strips didn't look too bad, but I cleaned them with an eraser stick and contact cleaner anyway. I packed the back cover where the wires come in with dielectric grease, so hopefully that will keep it nice and clean for years. The solder joints still looked shiny so I didn't worry about reflowing them. In retrospect, that negative battery cable that wasn't snugged down was probably the real problem. Here is what the contact strip looked like when I got the switch opened.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Mine didn't look bad either but cleaned anyway and then stretched the springs ever so slightly and never had the cut off issue again. Course then I bought a sporty and have never had to do anything else since :) Fast too. Fastest in the world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts