Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the bike put back together after two months of working on it and after 2 minutes of riding the bike went completely dead, no lights no nothing. The battery sat for 2.5 months without a tender and I charged it on the tender before installing it. Basically the sequence of my ride went as follows: started bike, 1 min in engine shut off cus I had the petcock on off, realized I had a coolant leak from a radiator hose, put peckcok to on and while I was cranking the motor again everything all electrical on the bike died. My first inclination was that coolant got on a wire and shorted it but after checking all connections in the visinity I didn’t find coolant on anything. Then I turned to the fuse, was good. Then today I went to autozone and got the battery tested which said the battery was good and then I tried jumping the bike with my car off and absolutely nothing. I am at a loss of where to start. Just going over the forums there is just a ton of posts regarding a world of potential issues. I couldnt put a figure on the amount of hours and money put into this bike for a 2 min ride lol.
Any help will be greatly appreciated before I lose my sanity and take it to a shop.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I would jump both large terminals on the solenoid and see if it cranks. Could have lost the solenoid or the start button circuit.

Do the dash lights come on with the key? edit: Ok, no lights ,,, that sounds like a bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was kind of thinking the ignition switch as well. So for the solenoid, leave all wires attached and then try and jump the leads from the solenoid w the car?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I was kind of thinking the ignition switch as well. So for the solenoid, leave all wires attached and then try and jump the leads from the solenoid w the car?
cross the two posts on the solenoid with a screwdriver

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If the battery is good, I'd jump from the bike itself. Jump power first to the yellow/red wire on the starter relay (normally gets power from the junction box when the start button is pushed). If no luck there, try jumping power to the black wire, which goes directly to the starter motor.

Make sure you're in neutral first!!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
All this solenoid & starter motor jumping is only going to prove that that leg of the starter system is OK and that the ignition switch (which is the main suspect due to lights not working) needs to be looked at.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
check grounds as well

Reactions: GDI

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doc/Spock, I crossed the posts with a screwdriver and the engine cranked. No lights or anything still so I’m thinking this narrows it down to the ignition switch?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Doc/Spock, I crossed the posts with a screwdriver and the engine cranked. No lights or anything still so I’m thinking this narrows it down to the ignition switch?
I'd think so yea

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I'd think so yea
Yep, check out the switch. Wiggle the key back and forth on all positions and watch for lights. Wiggle test all the connections up there. Could end up needing the puck cleaned and springs stretched.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, check out the switch. Wiggle the key back and forth on all positions and watch for lights. Wiggle test all the connections up there. Could end up needing the puck cleaned and springs stretched.

I cleaned the puck, stretched the springs, the key feels much nicer in all positions but still nothing. Any suggestions from here?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Check the plugs under the left neck cover, and I think the wiring inside the headlight could be a problem. Some have mentioned that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Upon further inspection, I had 2 blown fuses, now I feel like an idiot lol. Well atleast i did some preventative ignition switch maintenance. Now I’m just hoping that I don’t start running into blown fuse after blown fuse. Thanks everyone for your help!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
been there...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Just goes to show, even if you've checked something, checking it again isn't a bad idea!
Which fuses were blown?

·
Registered
30 Posts
where are the springs?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
where are the springs?

The plastic plate, where the wires are soldered to, has to be unlocked and slid out of the housing. Springs and contacts are behind there, don't lose any of them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you. Question used alcohol and q tips got it shinny. do i need to file lightly? Is this the right way to put back togather ie pic? only 1 metal ball.? Do I need any battery gel on springs? My housing is scratched up. is that normal?? thank you so much for your patience? Im hoping this cures the no dash light issues. Such is life I had such a great time with the carbs last summer to have it running good for 15 minites .

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I got the bike put back together after two months of working on it and after 2 minutes of riding the bike went completely dead, no lights no nothing. The battery sat for 2.5 months without a tender and I charged it on the tender before installing it. Basically the sequence of my ride went as follows: started bike, 1 min in engine shut off cus I had the petcock on off, realized I had a coolant leak from a radiator hose, put peckcok to on and while I was cranking the motor again everything all electrical on the bike died. My first inclination was that coolant got on a wire and shorted it but after checking all connections in the visinity I didn’t find coolant on anything. Then I turned to the fuse, was good. Then today I went to autozone and got the battery tested which said the battery was good and then I tried jumping the bike with my car off and absolutely nothing. I am at a loss of where to start. Just going over the forums there is just a ton of posts regarding a world of potential issues. I couldnt put a figure on the amount of hours and money put into this bike for a 2 min ride lol.
Any help will be greatly appreciated before I lose my sanity and take it to a shop.
Let is know how this endsIm praying for you. were having the same issues here🦋

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Ron, those contacts look clean enough, I wouldn't file them myself. Rough edges can cause trouble, but there shouldn't be too many amps in there. Don't think I would use any gel either, just makes dirt stick.

I honestly don't know how many balls there should be in there. Where's goofyfoot, he always says to clean the switch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts