Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I had a local muffler shop fab up a custom H-Pipe for the VN. It turned out pretty well.

See pictures & video below.

The bolt acts as the center stand stop.

Video of bike being fired up. (Watch in HD for better sound.)

I'll upload a video of the bike rolling down the street for a better idea of how it sounds.

·
2,502 Posts
So, just wondering what the toggle switch on your left side cover used for?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, just wondering what the toggle switch on your left side cover used for?
No idea. It was there when I bought the bike. I can tell something was spliced into the wiring harnesses at some time. Maybe a switch for a chest heater or something like that?

I should utilize in somehow. hmmm.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I am not a believer in removing the "goats belly" but at least you still have a crossover pipe, which is critical with the stock exhaust IMO. If you still have the goats belly, I would hang onto it. It will sound completely different at high rpm on the highway, my V&H pipes sounded great around town, but liked to drove me bananas on the highway, which is where I spend most of my riding time.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not a believer in removing the "goats belly" but at least you still have a crossover pipe, which is critical with the stock exhaust IMO. If you still have the goats belly, I would hang onto it. It will sound completely different at high rpm on the highway, my V&H pipes sounded great around town, but liked to drove me bananas on the highway, which is where I spend most of my riding time.
Even though I'd like to go on a couple long trips a year, most of my miles will likely be around town.

It actually turned out louder than I thought it would, but not obnoxiously so.

I'll hang onto the old unit for the time being.

Does anybody have any information on why the cross-over is so crucial? I've been told/read that it's needed, but when people ask me why I just tell them it equalizes the pressure. I don't really know why that matters.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Since both cylinders don't fire at the same time, but alternately, the crossover allows the exhaust gases from the cylinder that just fired to use both mufflers on the way out. I had V&H pipes, with no crossover, and definitely lost power, though not enough to really matter on the VN750. The goats belly is actually referred to as a power chamber in some places. Aside from being just a pathway to allow exhaust gases from one side to cross over to the other side, it also serves as a resonator, or pre-muffler. It allows use of mufflers with lower back pressure to be used, without excessive noise. The setup you made could not be sold on a new bike, because it would exceed EPA noise levels.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
What's inside the g-belly? Anyone ever bust one open? I thought maybe it had a channel in there that helped equalize the length difference between the pipes. Nice job Roach. I'm keeping the belly on mine cause I like the deeper tone but for anyone looking to do a gastric bypass on their's this is very helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts