Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idk if this is a stupid question or not but....would after market pipes get rid of the goat belly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes no aftermarket pipes would use a goats belly but some use a cross over pipe it is utilizes a same side exit pipe but that would equal the same amount of heat exchange in that area as the goats belly, and if you are really worried about it you could wrap the cross over pipe with header wrap.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
depends on which set of pipes you go with... some are a whole system that gets rid of the goat's belly and utilize a cross over pipe, some run "true" dual, and yet others are just slip on mufflers keeping the goat's belly.

Macs 2 into 1 (gets rid of the GB)

Vance and Hines Complete System (gets rid of GB)

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong folks.....but I believe Vance & Hines Cruzers are the only Aftermarket pipes available for the VN700/VN750 that are placed as OEM style exhaust with pipes on each side of the bike.....I believe all other aftermarket pipes for our bikes are both on the right side......like a Harley?

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
I forgot to mention that when I posted that I meant Full exhaust systems....not slip on mufflers.

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Wow......all of them do? I did not know that. I thought Cobra only made slip on Mufflers for our bikes and that all Jardine exhaust for our bikes had been discontinued a while ago.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
FYI, many states will be / are requiring stock exhaust to pass inspections. Washington is ticketing modified exhaust as a secondary offense.

DT

·
2,526 Posts
FYI, many states will be / are requiring stock exhaust to pass inspections. Washington is ticketing modified exhaust as a secondary offense.

DT

I'd imagine with a bike that is discontinued like ours and OEM are not available than there must be some kind of acceptable replacement.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'd imagine with a bike that is discontinued like ours and OEM are not available than there must be some kind of acceptable replacement.
In Washington, the EPA stamp on the muffler must match the VIN of the bike. If it doesn't, you can get a ticket. IDK the year the law applies to, I'm sure there are some grandfathered out years.

DT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So since i have a set of Vance and Hines does that mean my R&R should be good and I dont need to relocate it?

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
I'm a newbie so please excuse the ridiculous question, but how can one tell if their bike has a goat's belly? My '94 has customs pipes. If there is no goat's belly, does that mean it is not necessary to relocate the R/R??

·
Registered
802 Posts
If the pipes go straight back for the head, with no junctions of any type between them, it's degoated.

The goats belly is a pretty good sized hunk of metal. You'd see it if it's still on there.

I never relocated my r/r after I put the Cobra crossovers on, and never had any issues with it.

19 Posts
Here's some more questions for you guys.

If I want to go with an aftermarket exhaust, what tunes would have to be made to the motor to run properly? Does the carb need to be re-jetted, are there any timing or valve issues, and can the maintenance stand still be used?

What are the gains to an aftermarket exhaust? I can imagine there being a slight loss of torque from the decrease in backpressure, but is it worth the cost? How does the bike sound afterwards?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts