Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I've been reading the Vulcan verses and all the posts about De-Goating, but when I click on the link to the Gadget's explanation of de-goating, its not for a VN 750 but for a classic, nomad or drifter.

Then when i checked out the scooterworks website I couldn't locate any kind of a "kit" to be used for de-goating.

Am I looking for more than I need? I saw Artman did the whole thing for $19.00 - Can I just rip out the goat's belly and simply connect the pipes together w/ the flex pipe and be done w/ it?

Sorry to waste yr time, but I just thought the info would be more obvious.
Sometimes i feel more like a tool than using one.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
To answer your question, yes. You can just rip it out and connect the pipes with flex tubing.

I did and was very unhappy with the performance afterwards. Lost in my opinion too large an amount of power.

I have since shaved the ears and put on aftermarket pipes and most important, rejetted the carbs. Bike runs better than ever now.

I can't say for sure, but if you degoat only, I think rejetting the carbs may help to bring back some of the power lost.

Remember, the premuffler is essentially an expansion chamber and crossover allowing each cylinder to see 2 mufflers instead of one, so back pressure will be higher without the premuffler, hence, poorer performance.

Jon

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now we're talkin!

Thanks a lot for the link and the info. My VN is an oldie 1986, but only had 13K on it when I bought it. I put 20K on it in 3 years with no R/R or stator probs, but all the de-goating talk started making me worry and it looked like a pretty easy solution the the heat problem.

I agree, I think the scootworks kit looks like the way to go.

Many thanks.

·
fuzz
138 Posts
To answer your question, yes. You can just rip it out and connect the pipes with flex tubing.

I did and was very unhappy with the performance afterwards. Lost in my opinion too large an amount of power.

I have since shaved the ears and put on aftermarket pipes and most important, rejetted the carbs. Bike runs better than ever now.

I can't say for sure, but if you degoat only, I think rejetting the carbs may help to bring back some of the power lost.

Remember, the premuffler is essentially an expansion chamber and crossover allowing each cylinder to see 2 mufflers instead of one, so back pressure will be higher without the premuffler, hence, poorer performance.

Jon
wouldn't the back pressure be lower ?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
wouldn't the back pressure be lower ?
With the premuffler, each cylinder sees 2 mufflers, without it, each cylinder sees only one muffler. More back pressure with one muffler than two. Also, the premuffler is an expansion area so each pulse from the cylinders has room, more so than just a 2 " diameter pipe.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I do know that Beavis welded a cross over pipe to his de goat and according to him, it helped with the lost low end performance that seems to be normal when degoating.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I do know that Beavis welded a cross over pipe to his de goat and according to him, it helped with the lost low end performance that seems to be normal when degoating.
I was about to get a cross-over made for mine when I took it completely apart and wound up with new aftermarket pipes.

Guy wanted $ 100 to fabricate a cross-over that would have mounted in where the premuffler was. I am sure this would have made a big difference.

Jon

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I was given a "H" pipe and it worked great--no loss pf power, much throatier sound, and the goats belly is gone. If anyone needs a almost new goats belly it is yours for the shipping.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
H Pipe

Has anyone ever measured the goat's belly for H-pipe construction and posted it in the Vulcan Verses? What a wonderful thing that would be....

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Hi All:

Am I looking for more than I need? I saw Artman did the whole thing for $19.00 - Can I just rip out the goat's belly and simply connect the pipes together w/ the flex pipe and be done w/ it?

Deacon, I did it for $19.00. And it lasted around 4 months til I bought Vance Hines Cruzers. I thought it worked out fine and honestly did'nt notice any marked loss of low end. The sound however; really wasn't up to what I was looking for, so I went with the V&H exhaust.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another thanks...

Yeah, my main reason for doing the de-goat is simply for reduction of heat on the R/R, but truth be told, I'd sure like a little more tuneful exhaust note as well. I'll probably drill out the baffles at the ends too.

Many years ago I had an MGB-GT - 1968. The radio didn't work and I never bothered getting it fixed 'cause the exhaust sounded so great. Even my wife didn't mind. In fact she loved driving it as much as I did.

·
239 Posts
Anyone ever try drilling holes into the goat's belly for a better sound???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts