Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i made it through my first season on my 86 vn750 learned a lot got comfortable with the bike ( but not too comfortable that i am oblivious) got my emdorsement and put 2000 miles on my ride, the comingnup season me and a friend ormtwo want to take an all day trip, i would like suggestions on what i should carry in my bags to be prepared for anything that may happen along the way, thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
I traveled hundreds of miles with no other provisions than a cell phone and a credit card. Still do.

Am sure others will chime in with extensive lists of crap to take. But the only things I added to those two items later was the stock tool kit, a "sticky string" tire plug kit, and a rain suit. I'll also add that I still took the tire patch kit even though my tires had Ride On sealant. And I didn't take the rain suit unless I knew rain was expected.

The point here is you either trust your bike or you don't. If you fear it will break down on you on a short trip, I'd question why you have it in the first place....;)

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
^ Tire repair kit, mini air pump, rain gear, how about a map?
so on and so on.....
I have a travel bag with all the basic stuff needed for a day trip in it already packed and in the garage waiting. Also, I keep an index card in the bag with a check list of everything that I should bring...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess a phone and credit card are the most useful, and my iphonenhas gps and maps so no need for maps. I do trust my bike even with its age, its only stranded me 2 times, ended up bein a bad r&r

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Large screwdriver, hammer, duct tape, vise-grips and baling wire.
But thats if you can make your own repairs and have no plastic card.

AND....what the QSRG always has along is a first aid kit.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I guess there are two main areas to consider here, namely tools/spare parts and riding gear.

Tools are dependent upon your knowledge in how to use them.
One rider suggested doing all your regular servicing with the tools you carry on the bike.
If you make it a rule to do a pre-ride inspection every day by touching every nut, bolt or other fastener, and other parts you are inspecting, you will soon learn to recognize when something is not right.

Might want to install RideOn tire sealant and balancer in your tires as a preventative measure too.
http://lifeisaroad.com/forum/index.php?topic=749.msg2738#msg2738

The more you know and prepare, the fewer tools you need to carry.
There have been members who ran into mechanical trouble on a ride and used their cell phone to contact this board for help in diagnosing and fixing it.

I always carry the tools that came with the bike, along with several more and some wire, tape etc.

After running out of gas once, and not being able to get the reserve to work, I sometimes carry a 1 gallon jug of gas.

Knifemaker once said something to the effect that the only tools he carries now is his cell phone and an AAA towing card.
EDIT: KM beat me to it while I was typing this missive! lol :doh:

Dress in layers so you can add or shed clothing to suit riding conditions.

Some other suggestions:
warmer/cooler gloves
spare riding or prescription glasses or face shield? along with cleaning solution and a microfiber or soft American cotton cloth. (I read that it is softer than other cotton. <shrug>)

first aid kit;-antihistamines, (sun)burn ointment, eye dops, headache pills, etc.
plenty of water
easy to eat snacks like trail mix or granola bars, when you stop for fuel.

Others will offer different suggestions.
After a few day trips you will get to know what you want to carry. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Just wanted to add something OHC mentioned about knowledge of tools.

On long trips I do carry some tools. Once you are familiar with your bike, you'll know what tools you use for various jobs. There's no sence carrying a 13mm socket if you know your bike doesn't have any 13mm nuts. If you've never needed your 8" extension then there's no reason to pack it.
Hence the suggestion to carry the stock tool kit, as it has the corrisponding tools to the bike.

But, as many owners got the bike without a tool kit, it's not hard to assemble your own. I bought a little black nylon makeup bag at Wal-mart and filled it with the tools I knew would cover most things on the bike.

I'll just say I've never had to use any of my tools on my bike while on a trip. (But did end up pulling them out to work on someone else's bike)

On th Vulcan all I had was the little storage box I built to replace the stock one. I made a small tank bag for it too. But the FJR had the two side cases and the big tail case.....so ability to carry alot of crap was easier

The Bonneville so far has no storage so I'll be going the phone and credit card route for awhile....;)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
add needle nose vice grips and duct tare in case of throttle cable breakage,as long as it doesn't break down by the carbs

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ive actually needed to do this, but in case of throttle cable break, since we have 2, you can temporarily swap the return cable onto the throttle....Im still running that way, lol....all it takes is a phillips to open the handgrip housing. And actually, I think its a dual screw head and you can use a flat too. The return is actually slightly longer, so I took up the slack by bending the cable anchor on the carb.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Yep...I have my phone and about 3-4 various tools. Channel locks, screwdriver (multibit), a puck wrench, and a crappy crescent wrench. A tire patch is always useful but only if you have some way to inflate your tire.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have the tool kit that came with the bike. Credit card...cell phone....check!
usually just carry a bottle of water with me on longer trips. other than some gloves and extra clothing to change into if the weather changes on me.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
but only if you have some way to inflate your tire.
With the bead still broken, take a rag or even some trash paper from the roadside, and get some gas on it from yer tank....wipe a lil inside the tire or even squeeze out a few drops...stand back and toss a match at it....Ive had mine inflate to 42 lbs this way. Sure, not the preferred method, but if in the boonies, in a pinch....

Doing this with truck split rims can be fatal...Ive seen an outer ring fly up about 50 feet into the air (the guy overdid it though....figured larger tire, more gas....wrong....)...spray ether is actually safer. And just a quick spritz...dont need much.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
For me I bring a spare master link for the chain, the tools in the took kit and my rain suit (I think it was first gear stuff, it rolls up small and goes in the saddle bag, never know when you hit a down pour, I have hippo hand gloves and boot covers as well, I can be in a hurricane and not get wet.

I do not carry tire plugs as I have tubes, you are not going to sticky string plug a tubed tire on the road - at least I am not. Lucky for most of you guys, you are tubeless.

Lets see.... yep water, CC and phone. Without forgetting to do TCLOCK inspection before every time you ride. http://micapeak.com/info/T-CLOCK.html

^^ The above has worked for me for 7 years and 50K miles (on this bike)

Kenny

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
With the bead still broken, take a rag or even some trash paper from the roadside, and get some gas on it from yer tank....wipe a lil inside the tire or even squeeze out a few drops...stand back and toss a match at it....Ive had mine inflate to 42 lbs this way. Sure, not the preferred method, but if in the boonies, in a pinch....

Doing this with truck split rims can be fatal...Ive seen an outer ring fly up about 50 feet into the air (the guy overdid it though....figured larger tire, more gas....wrong....)...spray ether is actually safer. And just a quick spritz...dont need much.
have you ever had it deflate back down after the bead is set?

I have and actually had to put air in the tire then. The flame in the tire burns all the O2 makes a vacuum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F37ofN9S3mw boy listen to these ol boys... but my point is shown at about :055

kenny

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....wow !...Ive never had that happen....mebbe because of their multiple tries all got heated up too much...I did it to my bike after I changed out the valve stem on the rear...still holding (besides the tiny slow leak Ive always had)....as for tubed tires, a bicycle kit with a hotpatch works nice, but ya still need an inflator, like Mike said...I stuffed my Sporty's tire with sod when I was on the Northway once...got me to the next town though.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
...Doing this with truck split rims can be fatal...Ive seen an outer ring fly up about 50 feet into the air ...
This happened to a guy at work about 20 years ago.....
blew the front of his face right off....

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
My christmas gift is perfect for this

I put on a set of hard saddlebags the wife got me for christmas, I carry inside of it my large leather tool kit i used to mount to the front forks. also rain gear winter gloves electrical tape and a quart of oil. I made a rear bike rack that extends over my rear fender and I have a nylon type pack to carry whatever, (tent?) and wallet and phone

Attachments

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I put on a set of hard saddlebags the wife got me for christmas, I carry inside of it my large leather tool kit i used to mount to the front forks. also rain gear winter gloves electrical tape and a quart of oil. I made a rear bike rack that extends over my rear fender and I have a nylon type pack to carry whatever, (tent?) and wallet and phone
Nice looking bike ! :smiley_th
I purchased a similar set of bags, I vision my bike to look as yours when I am done.

:smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Your bags look like the Mutazu FYs.
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=7&menu=Hard Saddlebags&product_id=441&s=prod.php
Are the red turn signals on the bags as bright as the stock Vulcan amber signals?

Quote from above link:
Hard Saddlebags

FY hard Saddlebags

FY hard saddle bags (Sold in a pair)

Comes with Heavy Duty Universal Metal Mounting brackets set, $49 Value
•Built in RED color turn Signals (The amber turn signal bags are discontinued)
•Flip open top lids with heavy duty plastic hinges
•Overall Dimensions: 17.5" (Length), 11.5" (Height), 5.5" (Thickness)
•Lids over lapping the bottom section
•Water proof
•Metal lock with two keys
•colors available: Black, Matte Black, White and Silver

These bags are the universal saddlebags which will fit any motorcycle with the rear fender rails by using our universal mounting brackets.

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Not as bright but I added some round led below the ones that came on the matzs

1 - 20 of 27 Posts