Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

Registered
That is most likely the most high tech VN750 around. Truly all you need now is fuel injection and a overdrive or 6th gear

Super Moderator
Conversion to a good single carb would be fine unless you had the electronics Jason does.
I'm absolutely going to try to switch to a single carb in the spring. I did talk to the local motorcycle mechanic, and he said he'd do the conversion for $250, not including parts. I can't imagine spending over $500 just to make the switch to EFI. But it would definitely be cool to have.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Jason, have you ever ridden your Vulcan for, you know, fun? Or leisure? You're like the Mad Frankenstein of Kawasaki Vulcans! 馃ぃ馃槀馃ぃ
I assure you I still take great pleasure in riding! Now I am able to measure exactly how much fun I'm having per ride! 馃槀馃槀馃槀

I was unable to ride for three weeks due to an appendectomy, so this kept me from going crazy.

I rode about 120 miles today. I added a total revs counter, because why not. It's currently only visible in the debug mode (text way too tiny to see while riding). But I'm just shy of 400,000 revolutions on the engine today. I also have Ambient temperature (shown in Fahrenheit) and a placeholder for Cylinder Head Temperature and Exhaust Gas Temperature (both were a request from the New Zealand fellow). GPS data is strong (VDOP, PDOP, HDOP, Sat etc). The whole trip consumed about 40% of the battery.
Font Display device Technology Electronic signage Signage

Attachments

Registered
I assure you I still take great pleasure in riding! Now I am able to measure exactly how much fun I'm having per ride! 馃槀馃槀馃槀

I was unable to ride for three weeks due to an appendectomy, so this kept me from going crazy.

I rode about 120 miles today. I added a total revs counter, because why not. It's currently only visible in the debug mode (text way too tiny to see while riding). But I'm just shy of 400,000 revolutions on the engine today. I also have Ambient temperature (shown in Fahrenheit) and a placeholder for Cylinder Head Temperature and Exhaust Gas Temperature (both were a request from the New Zealand fellow). GPS data is strong (VDOP, PDOP, HDOP, Sat etc). The whole trip consumed about 40% of the battery.
View attachment 55157
Market this gadget to Kawasaki, The Good Times Meter!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I added a new speedometer option.

It will read the RPM and calculate the speed in all 5 gears. It compares these values to the GPS speed.
Whatever one is closest, it picks as the gear in use.
I found the GPS speed had about 1/2 second delay, so rapid speed changes confused the gear indicator.
So now I have it compare the RPM data with a 1/2 second delay to the GPS speed data to pick the current gear.
If the gear is known, it will display the calculated speed with no delay.
If the gear is unknown, it will revert back to displaying GPS speed.

Because of the 1/2 second delay, gear changes result in the gear indication being incorrect for 1/2 second.
Also for that 1/2 second, the indicated speed is off by the amount the RPM changed.
So normal acceleration shows momentary rapid drops in speed.
In practice, it's so brief as to be a non-issue.
Using the calculated speed instead of GPS speed shows a much more steady speed.
It also is more up-to-date.
The GPS speed wanders +/- 2 MPH when your actual speed isn't changing.

I've also implemented the thermocouples.
One was taped to the engine block and the other is just hanging out in the air.
I hope to stuff one inside a radiator hose at some point.
I considered using two more for EGT on both pipes.
Ambient air temp is read from the main unit, or any of the thermocouple units.

All of this has actually been useful.
I found that my current ignition settings are still giving some advance over stock at full throttle. The intent was stock timing at WOT.
I've noticed elevated temperatures when riding for awhile at 80 MPH.
I'm wondering if I'm getting a bit of detonation, and extra heat.
I first noticed it on my trip to CO, but it was nearly 100 degrees and sunny.
But a recent ride, the temperature was below 70 and it was at night.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I have surpassed 1 million engine revolutions with my datalogger!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts