Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere else, if so please direct me there and delete this thread, i had no idea what to look for..

I have removed my dashboard (indicators, original gauges etc.) and I am now wondering if I need to think about the temperature gauge to cool the engine when overheating. Does the fan turn on without the temp gauge or do I need to replace it?

Thank you for any help

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Sorry, but don't have a wiring diagram handy, but I thought the fan was triggered by the sensor, not the gauge, and That the gauge was just a meter and not a switch.
I know there have been a few here that removed their gauges, or have a better understanding of electrics than I do....hopefully they'll chime in soon.

But it's my understanding that the temp gauge works off a sensor under the tank, and the fan is switched on/off by a sensor next to the radiator ...that the two are not connected in any way ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Schematics show that the temp sensor is connected to the temp gauge, the fan switch is connected to the junctionbox. Looks like removing it would not effect cooling :)

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Schematics show that the temp sensor is connected to the temp gauge, the fan switch is connected to the junctionbox. Looks like removing it would not effect cooling :)
Yep, what I figured.
The problem then is, without a temp gauge you won't be able to tell if your bike is overheating.
I'd suggest getting a small aftermarket temp gauge to replace it. You might need to get one that comes with its own sensor as the stock one may not be compatable ....

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
exactly, 2 different circuits.. one sensor for the gauge, one for the fan on/off.. removing the gauge will have no effect on the fan operation.

the sensor for gauge is on thermostat housing if I recall, and the sensor for the fan is on the bottom of the radiator.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Are you sure? Because the temp sensor is connected to the gauge, so without the gauge where does the signal come from?
the gauge sensor is located on top of the thermostat housing, and the sensor for the fan is located on clutch side of the radiator. 2 separate sensors, two separate circuits..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts