Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know that seems odd, but lately, when I apply the front brake, I get an initial sound like a Darth Vader exhale (only quieter). It's almost a rubbing sound, but not quite. Thinking that maybe I was down on the pad wearline, I pulled the calipers and checked - there's plenty of pad left. So I cleaned the pads with rubbing alcohol and also wiped down the rotors. It's better than it was, but there's still a Vader-link hint. Nothing else seems to be rubbing anything, anywhere (I double-checked the usable range on my rear brake, and it's fine as well). Any ideas? Aside from calling in Luke Skywalker to remove the problem? :)

Thanks.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Really? Mine does something similar. Except mine sounds like, "Iamyerfatha..."

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have no clue, thought the same thing you thought. Maybe it will fade away...

Iamyerfatha...

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha. Now I know I'm of the right mindset for this bike. :)

After I posted this, I started reading all the stuff on lubing the splines on the final drive, and now I'm thinking that maybe that's something I should've taken care of when I relocated my r/r (while the bike was fully out of service). Like, maybe Darth lives in my unlubed splines? That would make some kind of nasty <chhhhoooooooooooooo> sound, wouldn't it?

·
Geek
872 Posts
More like a wwwooooffffttttt. Or a hhhooooobbbaaaahhhhhhhhh.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hhhooooooooobaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Kinda like if Darth had unlubed metal in his throat when he coughed. I actually intially thought "Huh. My rotors sound bad." But, like I say, the pads are absolutely fine.

hhhooooooooooobaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Mine kind of does something like that once in awhile. And I know the pads are good too. I also know the rotors could stand to be cut or replaced.
Do your rotors have any roughness to them, or are they pretty smooth?
Also, does it seem to do it more as things start to heat up, like after using the front brake alot?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it does seem to happen more when I've been out for a little while. I did check the rotors for rust, unevenness, warping, and for the most part they look fine. But the bike sat in some farmer's barn for years before the guy I bought it from took it under his wing. He (my seller) did a lot of work on the exhaust and electrical systems (they'd gotten crud from sitting), and no doubt he put new pads on, but the rotors appear to be original.

I should say, too, that initially I thought I was getting more of a "whup-whup-whup" sound when I applied the brakes (so I thought the rotors were warped), but that lasted about two days; now it's just a throaty sound, and it doesn't happen all the time.

·
Registered
699 Posts
just a shot here but if its when you have been out for a while that it happens. Could it be that as the rotors heat up they do warp somewhat causing the noise then as they cool they straiten out and noise is gone.
or after rereading what I just said does that sound as weird to you as it now does me???

·
Geek
872 Posts
Theres only one way to check for warp. Put a dial indicator (micrometer) on them. Trashlord - Yes that could happen.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I thought warp made it go faster.

·
Registered
495 Posts
That is in the Star Trek world, we are still stuck in this one.:(

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Makes sense to me (both that it would warp after riding awhile and that in another universe, warp would make me go faster). I'll check it. But it seems like perhaps I'm not the only person who's heard that sound?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Actually, if you think about it, a bunch of little warped edges, like the warning bumps on the edge of the highway, will give your brakes a low hum.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Oh, hehe. What I meant was that little ridges on the rotor will cause sound from your brakes. I was using the bumps on the side of the road as a comparison. My bad.

·
Registered
495 Posts
wow cindy, he's being a lot nicer to you in your first few days than he was to me....

lucky you...:pepper:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, he helped me through my regulator ordeal this summer, so I guess I have to take a little bit of that. Funny, I don't remember "troublemaker" being under his signin this summer...

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think the MODS made him put there to warn people about his sometimes (fill in your favorite word for him here) behavior.:eek:

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
kait said:
wow cindy, he's being a lot nicer to you in your first few days than he was to me....

That was you, wasn't it? Names, places, and times are getting to be a blur. I told you that Effexor wasn't working!

·
Registered
699 Posts
kait said:

it could be that she is alot closer to him and he fears the beating lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts