Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's happened to all of us, I'm sure. Someone starts to pull out in front of you, you honk your horn to get their attention but they don't hear it and continue on oblivious to the fact that they almost ruined your day. I sometimes think that if only I had that robot from Lost In Space on the back of my Vulcan, waving his arms frantically and shouting that famous warning, maybe they would have seen or heard me. Well, Robbie's shiny metalic butt would never fit on the back of the seat so I decided to get a louder horn instead. The Stebel Nautilus looked like it would fit the bill. See and hear it here http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2007_1.htm.
I found it at www.casporttouring.com for $37 and change including shipping. For those who like shiny, it is available some places in chrome for about $10 extra. My Vulcan has been shaved and I used the left side bottom ear mount for the one bolt installation and my ground point. It looks like it would fit even with the ears but I cant verify that. I drilled out the ear mount threads so the supplied mounting bolt would fit. I removed the seat, gas tank and left neck cover for wiring access. Wired it up using the supplied relay which I mounted under the left side neck cover near the coil. Ran a fused lead from the positive battery post to the relay, ran a wire from the relay to the horn. I disconnected the left oem horn and used those wires for the trigger on the relay. This thing is nice and loud......CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

Attachments

Reactions: james brill

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Looks good! And that $40 horn comes with the the stuff to install it? (relay/mounting)

I was wondering if the $40 horn was just the horn itself is why I'm asking.

And I coulda used a loud horn yesterday myself....

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
The stebel horn comes with wiring thats a bit too short to do anything with, but it does come with the relay and mounting stuff (really just a bolt and plastic spacer).

The Stebel is LOUD and I'd higly recommend that everyone have one. My favorite response was the lady that tried pulling in front of me and when I hit the horn she almost had a single vehicle accident...

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I've had stebels on all of my vehicles now for over a year. They are definitely attention getters and a wake-up call to some drivers that "think" they can multi-task and drive even though they lack basic driving skills to begin with!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as what it comes with. It Includes:
1. Horn
2. Relay
3. Mounting bolt and nut
4. Plastic adapter that lets you attach a hose for air intake and route it to a place for clean air..say inside your air filter.
5. Wiring diagrams
Mine came with no wires. So for my installation I had to provide.
1. Wire
2. Fuse holder
3. Wire connectors/terminals
Depending on where and how you choose to mount it, you may need to provide some sort of bracket but for my installation, none was needed.
Some sites list that brackets and wiring harnesses are available. I dont know what they actually include. I figured I would just get the basic horn and see what I needed and as it turned out....not much.
Cheman

·
Registered
141 Posts
By the way, "Robbie" wasn't the name for the Lost In Space robot. That robot's name was "Robot".
Robbie was the robot from the really cool 1950's movie Mysterious Planet starring Walter Pidgeon.
You're dead on target for horn info though.

·
Super Moderator
12,036 Posts
By the way, "Robbie" wasn't the name for the Lost In Space robot. That robot's name was "Robot".
Robbie was the robot from the really cool 1950's movie Mysterious Planet starring Walter Pidgeon.
You're dead on target for horn info though.

Good try, the movie was "Forbiden Planet" .. also stared Leslie Nielsen and Ann Francis. Was the first movie to have an all electronic "music" score.

And the name of the robot in Lost In Space was "Robot B-9" if you want to be percise.

KM

edit...more info for the nerdly:
http://tinyurl.com/kpovg

KM

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good try, the movie was "Forbiden Planet" .. also stared Leslie Nielsen and Ann Francis. Was the first movie to have an all electronic "music" score.

And the name of the robot in Lost In Space was "Robot B-9" if you want to be percise.

You are correct:notworthy. Senior monent=sophomoric comment on my part.:BLAM:
Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hey Tank, been awhile. Good to see you're still around :beerchug:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is there any way to mount one of these where the OEM horns are if they were removed?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I currently have one mounted just under the front of my fairing and it is possible to seperate the compreesor part from the trumpets. Gadget did a write-up here - http://www.gadgetjq.com/airhorn.htm

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I mounted my stebel where one of the stock horns went. Click on the bike gallery link in my sig and you should be able to find pics.

·
the doctor
50 Posts
I ordered one and received it in three days just waiting to put another part on. Thanks for the info, no more beep-beep now BLAT.:rockon:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi All

Just bought two Stebel Compact 2 tone horns on Ebay, was $38.99 offered $35 and the offer was accepted, didn't go low enought but they are now mine. One for the VN and one for the VFR.

I'll let you all know how it goes with the installation.

Bought them from gman7034 on Ebay.

Regards

Dave Tucker
Kuala Lumpur

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Hi Dave, I am away on vacation but next week when I get back home I should have a package waiting for me with a Stebel horn inside. So I am looking to put them on my VN next week. I would be very interested if you could send me some info and possibly some pics of how you mount yours. Would appreciate, thanks.
Fred

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Dave, I am away on vacation but next week when I get back home I should have a package waiting for me with a Stebel horn inside. So I am looking to put them on my VN next week. I would be very interested if you could send me some info and possibly some pics of how you mount yours. Would appreciate, thanks.
Fred
Hi Fred

I think you may be undertaking the install before me, I have to wait for about 14 days before getting my Stebel's as they have to travel by USPS all the way from USA to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I had a look at the pictures from curtis97322 , where he has used the original original horn location. I think it looks too bulky for that location, the previous owner of my bike had installed a set of engine protection bars and I think I will use this a mounting point.

Looking forward to having some serious noise up front to get the attention of the other drivers over here. You think they are bad in USA, come over to SE Asia and try, especially in the main cities. But once you are used to it and ride always expecting the unexpected it is good fun.

Have a good holiday and we'll swap mounting ideas !! (Where are you going for the holiday ?)

Regards

DaveT
Kuala Lumpur

1 - 20 of 37 Posts