1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
A keen awareness of everything around you... :motorcycl

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
The stock tool kit is a good place to start. I also carry a Leatherman tool, flashlight, mini jumper cables, a can of fixaflat, a charged cell phone, a few zip ties, some very basic first aid things, a length of surgical tube / siphon in case I run out of gas, air pressure gauge, some spare fuses, spare clutch and brake levers (I have them left over from when I installed the wide levers).

I also bring along a good rain suit, sweatshirt, lighter gloves, few bungee cords / net, a micro fiber cloth for my wind screen and visor, and a side stand puck if I park on a soft surface.

Yeah, it sounds like a lot and thankfully most of it never gets used. Sure is nice have peace of mind though.

Ride safe! -Sloppy

·
Registered
468 Posts
10,12,14 mm wrench can fix quite a few things. i keep a small pair of vise grips and needle nose pliers. a 10mm socket and extension to remove the seat if i have a battery issue.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Always??? Really?
Yes, believe it or not, all of that doesn't take up a lot of room in the saddlebags. It all just stays with the bike, so yes, I always bring it.

Credit card, cell phone.
Call who and pay who? I can fix it myself and go home quicker and cheaper.

If you been taking care of your bike why would you need anything?
Because I believe in Murphy's law. Think of it all as cheap trip insurance.

If however you are going on a long long trip, a basic tool kit and a tire plug kit be handy.
Agreed, and I do bring them on extended trips.

If you don't trust your bike you shouldn't be riding it.
Don't get me wrong. This bike has been unbelievably reliable and I love that about it. I maintain it well and it's been 100% rock solid so far. All of those tools have filled up my tool kit from all my years of riding less reliable bikes. Also like to have them just in case my riding buddies' bikes break down. The only thing more annoying than your bike breaking down and you missing out on riding is waiting for someone else to get their bike going!

Ride safe! -Sloppy

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Vise grips...channel locks...duct tape, and baling wire....thats been the "basics" for 40 years or more....

Credit cards can be bullsheit....because if you get into rural areas, most wont take em and yer fooked.....CCs are dumb IMO....but will be nice if yer in a metro area.....Does everyone have CCs ?....no....moot point....

1 Qt of water...1/2 qt of motor oil...matches (or a lighter), and a 10x10 tarp.....15 feet paracord....all ya need..
Roll of fluorescent orange surveyors ribbon is nice too....

Oh...and bring a blade.....sharp one....I could live in the woods at my age for months, with the items I listed above, and a good blade.....then again, i used to teach wilderness survival....

I should get a license from that Cuomo moron and start teaching again....
I think the mutherfooker charges $150 last I looked....scumbag Cuomo...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I would probably lose half pf it.and i recently took s 150 mile trip one way for a charity run after only having the bike together for a week.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
...........Credit cards can be bullsheit....because if you get into rural areas, most wont take em and yer fooked.....CCs are dumb IMO....but will be nice if yer in a metro area.....Does everyone have CCs ?....no....moot point....QUOTE]

Rual places don't take credit cards? They still accept credit cards in Buttfrick, Anywhere. I agree that some people do not have credit cards but that is usually because they do not want them or they do not qualify due to low credit scores but today there are even prepaid cards. I carry them for emergency use or if I am short on cash. Credit cards can also get you cash at ATM's for places that do not accept cards. It is exceptionally rare to find yourself anywhere that does not accept any credit cards.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Well the thing about Murphy's Law Sloppy, and I've been privy to this a few times, that when something goes wrong...you invariably find out the one tool or part you DIDN'T bring .. is the one you need.

To be honest when bought my Vulcan it came with the stock tool kit. Never used it ....but it did spend its time on the bike.

I'm all my years riding, I have never had anything fall off, break, or leave me stranded. I did have a clutch cable break on me back in the 70's durring a ride home, but had no real problem getting there without it.

And there are not any places I've come across even out in the country where I live that don't take credit cards. The chief reason to have one is to pay for the beer I'll be drinking waiting for the tow truck.
(I have free towing thru my insurance company)

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Well the thing about Murphy's Law Sloppy, and I've been privy to this a few times, that when something goes wrong...you invariably find out the one tool or part you DIDN'T bring .. is the one you need.
Yes, LOL. That's why my little tool kit has grown so much over the years.

To be honest when bought my Vulcan it came with the stock tool kit. Never used it ....but it did spend its time on the bike.
Ditto.

And there are not any places I've come across even out in the country where I live that don't take credit cards. The chief reason to have one is to pay for the beer I'll be drinking waiting for the tow truck.
(I have free towing thru my insurance company)
Wasn't the old Harley Sportster "tool kit" a dime a joint? The dime was for calling the tow truck and the joint was for the wait?

Which insurance do you use? I wonder if Triple A will tow bikes.

-Sloppy

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Wasn't the old Harley Sportster "tool kit" a dime a joint? The dime was for calling the tow truck and the joint was for the wait?

Which insurance do you use? I wonder if Triple A will tow bikes.

-Sloppy
I have AAA for any cage I am driving/riding-in... and Motor Cylcles is a must Add-on to my policy.

:smiley_th

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
Always??? Really?

Credit card, cell phone. If you been taking care of your bike why would you need anything?
If however you are going on a long long trip, a basic tool kit and a tire plug kit be handy.
If you don't trust your bike you shouldn't be riding it.
I carry tools to work on other peoples bikes :doh:
I have roadside assistance with my Geico policy. Cheap enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts