Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Kwakka Dave
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new here, I need to fit a restrictor in my carb (stupid law) but to get one made I need to know the outer diameter of the carb where it fits into the inlet rubber which is bolted to the engine. Also does anyone else get an electric shock off the ht lead on the left?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Where do live that has such a law and why would you grab the plug wire when the bikes running?
I pull my leads while the bike is running to test my cylinders, don't know if thats the correct way, but I don't get shocked.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
You shouldn't get shocked unless there is a break in the insulation or you're standing barefoot in a puddle of water.

There was a discussion on this awhile back, majority seemed to say not a good idea to pull plug wire while engine running.... But no clear cut issues found if you do.

He must be from France....they only allow slow bikes there...;)

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Hi guys new here, I need to fit a restrictor in my carb (stupid law) but to get one made I need to know the outer diameter of the carb where it fits into the inlet rubber which is bolted to the engine. Also does anyone else get an electric shock off the ht lead on the left?

Evolution mark of the beast (evo666). as knifemaker said if you can tell us where your from it will help determine your laws, and what exactly needs to be done.

·
Kwakka Dave
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the UK. So need to have the bike restricted to 35kw gonna use a washer in the inlet that is why i need to know the diameter. Also i am not pulling the plug, t hat's asking for trouble, it just catches my leg i was wondering if it was aanyone else had experienced it.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
In the UK. So need to have the bike restricted to 35kw gonna use a washer in the inlet that is why i need to know the diameter. Also i am not pulling the plug, t hat's asking for trouble, it just catches my leg i was wondering if it was aanyone else had experienced it.
Suggest new Spark Plug wires / caps.
Plug Wires: Dennis Kirk has 7mm wire for $2.99 in a 72" length the part # is 20- 21.
Ad two NGK end caps part # 20-306 @ $3.30 and two end caps part # 20- 789 $2.40 each.
(Requires approx.. 60”) Spark Plug Wire Replacement:
2 x 11.5" long
1 x 14.5" long
1 x 20.0" long
You should consider buying NGK plug ends if you haven't already. They are great looking and my directions are based on using them.
Dennis Kirk: [email protected] or 1-800-328-9280

:smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. If the bikes illegal how it get into the country?

Or, are you altering it for some kind of tax reason?

If the plug wire is shocking your leg you might want to replace the wires and caps....and make sure all spark plugs are gapped right. The right wire has been known to spark against the cylinder head, but not sure how you'd get shocked if your not grounded.

As for the diameter of the carb, can't you just measure it?

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
thats a restriction for new riders. guys on the kz400 forum are always bitchin about how they are restricted untill they have more time on the machine. Norway only allows your first bike to be 100cc'c no matter how old you are. but then again if you live in Norway your already used to getting screwed. they pay about 58% of their income to taxes

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I think they should have cc restrictions here sometimes. I guy that attended the MSC with could barely handle the 250's provided, and he was bragging about his "sweet 1000rr" at home. Another guy had a Busa as a first bike. Wonder how they're doing now?

·
Kwakka Dave
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the uk if you pass your full bike test under the age of 24 you are restricted to 35kw for 2 years. Its cos of the EU rubbish thats going on. And I dont wanna buy a poxy bike to have for two years to have to sell and get a new one when I can just restrict this then pop the restrictors out.... I have a couple spark plugs knocking about in my spares I will change em up and sort the wires cheers. Also the reason I cant measure the carbs is as I can only work out side and we have some nasty storms at the moment

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
How would they know if you restricted it or not ?....do they place it on a dynomometer ?....just wondering....

Also, fyi, horsepower can be reduced as well, by adding a more restrictive air intake and exhaust...it could be easier for you to do that...
Installing smaller main jets would add to it....

Also, the plug wires can be gotten from any automotive shop in bulk, cut to size, then the original ends added....cost is much less than buying new "made to fits"....

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
If you run the bike too lean you can really mess the valves and pipes up. Too rich and you're stuck with fouled plugs and gummed exhaust valves.

Too little airflow and your slides won't won't move properly possibly raising vacum and making the slides open too fast causing flooding and the bike dies when the throttle is cranked open from flooding. By putting the restriction between the carb and the intake may help, of course it could instead reduce the vacum through the carbs too much (slow slides still and a petcock that doesn't open).

Really too many potential problems to name, don't forget rejetting, don't even know which way that would go.

Go forth and sin no more my son; you may have real problems there.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....Id personally find a budget 500cc or a 441 BSA until you get the time in.....just think, once you get your time, you can sell the smaller and go on holiday with the profit.... ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts