Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Not recommended the springs ont he shocks are cut to the size they need to be for the opening. I had a friend do that on his bike which was a Honda, and after he cut the springs to lower it a little so his girlfriend could ride the bike the shocks actually went out. They make different size shocks you can buy to put ont he bike.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
In the front there are spacers that can be cut down and not cut the springs.
The rear just get shorter shocks, much safer.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
In the front there are spacers that can be cut down and not cut the springs.
Your still doing the same thing, and both are real bad ideas. Cut the spacer, or even the spring, you lessen your forks amount of travel. Given it only has about 3 1/2 inches to start with, any reduction over an inch would likely be very dangerous.

The best way to lower the front is to first increase the pre-load by installing a longer spacer...then raising the fork tube up in the upper clamps. Would not go much more than an inch.

This way you retain your fork travel, and the added preload helps avoid insuuficant trail issues over bumpy roads.

Ideally the best route to lower the rear is with a set of lowering blocks , but given that the stock shocks blow... I'd go with a shorter aftermarket set instead.

The only reason I can see for lowering the bike is because you are "height challanged" ... And it's alot easier to just lower the seat.....

KM

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Your still doing the same thing, and both are real bad ideas. Cut the spacer, or even the spring, you lessen your forks amount of travel. Given it only has about 3 1/2 inches to start with, any reduction over an inch would likely be very dangerous.

The best way to lower the front is to first increase the pre-load by installing a longer spacer...then raising the fork tube up in the upper clamps. Would not go much more than an inch.

This way you retain your fork travel, and the added preload helps avoid insuuficant trail issues over bumpy roads.

Ideally the best route to lower the rear is with a set of lowering blocks , but given that the stock shocks blow... I'd go with a shorter aftermarket set instead.

The only reason I can see for lowering the bike is because you are "height challanged" ... And it's alot easier to just lower the seat.....

KM
Progressive sells a kit to lower the forks. You have to pull the forks off to do it, but it's easy...... With the over sized tires and Saddlemen seat, I was on my tip-toes, now I'm both feet flat on the ground :smiley_th
oh, and if you are getting shorter rear shocks, you might want to consider the HD ones.... I bought the 10.5" standard shocks and have to turn the preload all the way up to keep from bottoming with the old lady on the back..

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

KM
Some people like the looks of a lowered bike and are too old to be doing 120 mph through the twisties.LOL

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I have installed a set of shocks from a Suzuki Savage on mine and raised the forks in the clamps about an inch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
While not height challenged- I am not tall and have debated lowering the bike an inch or two. Looks like replacing the rear shocks may be the way to go but I don't have the $ for those good ol' 11 inch progressives. How tall are the Savage's shocks? Did you have to modify them any way to get them on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi my friend... install these HD rear shocks and do that you said ..... approximately how many inches I'm getting lower???

·
Registered
2 Posts
How many inches....

Progressive sells a kit to lower the forks. You have to pull the forks off to do it, but it's easy...... With the over sized tires and Saddlemen seat, I was on my tip-toes, now I'm both feet flat on the ground :smiley_th
oh, and if you are getting shorter rear shocks, you might want to consider the HD ones.... I bought the 10.5" standard shocks and have to turn the preload all the way up to keep from bottoming with the old lady on the back..
Hi my friend... install these HD rear shocks and do that you said ..... approximately how many inches I'm getting lower???

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
You are double posting a response to a thread from 2011 and also a banned past member so I doubt you will get much of a response from Darvi on the subject.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I didn't know Dariv was banned. I though he just gave up on us...;)

What did he do?
If you look at his (Darvi) previous post on the first page of this thread just below his name it states "Banned". I am not sure of his particular infraction(s) although I do remember a drawn out number of warnings given to him on several threads and I believe he received a few privately.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts