Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after I bring the bike back to life in a couple weeks I want to shorten my Plexi-2 windscreen. With it mounted in line with the fork angle and my seat a little lower than stock I end up looking through the thing and I can't stand it! So, I've taken it off all together. Great view, too much wind.

If I change to an open face helmet I think I'll need to put it back on, so I need to know what it's going to take for me to cut it shorter AND do a good job of it. I do not want to find myself having to buy another windshield.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
I used a Dremel then a belt sander. I took 2" off - I hated looking through it too. Go easy, it cuts and sands like butter. I did a so-so job but, I'm happy...

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
a couple of tips for using a Dremel on plastic to get good results. Use the circular saw attachment. Use 2" wide masking tape to make a base to keep from scratching your "Glass". then lay out 2 strips of 1/8" wide tape to form a 1/4" line as pictured. Using the dremel cut down the Blue line. then sand down to the edge for the Red line. you could then use a decorative bit for the Dremel to then make a beveled edge. or just sand a beveled edge. once you have the edge finished remove excess tape. The biggest thing to remember is to take your time.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The 1/8" wide tape strips is a neat idea slim.

I wet sanded and then polished some pretty heavy scratches out of my windshield this spring. Probably have about 20+ hours into it now. I noticed tiny manufacturing ripples around the edge of almost the whole screen, like would be left from cutting it out with a jig or band saw blade. I took a new smooth (fine cut) flat file about 5/8" wide and carefully worked the edge flat and smooth all around. Go slow and don`t slip or you can make a big scratch if you do.

Finish the edge off by wet sanding with some 400-600 wet and dry sandpaper on a 1/3 sheet sanding block, or wrapped around a 3/4" square wooden strip about 4" long, and run back and forth lengthwise around the edge. The natural inaccuracy of hand sanding will give you the slightly rounded edge desired. Enough time and fine enough sandpaper and/or polish will effectively make the edge clear and not a visual distraction while riding.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I use the 1/8" tape striping to do a lot of different kinds of fabrication work where exctness and neatness is a must.

I like your idea Gordon with the files and the sandpaper.. Don't know why i didn't mention it... I usually file then sand... the two go hand in hand... the file gives you better shaping while the sanding gives it the finished look.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not to hijack the thread or anything but I thought you'd like to see how your advice worked...

I read the "how to" link that you posted OlHoss along with Slim's ideas and liked it all so much that I gave it a try the following day! I really like the results. I cut my Plexi-2 down a full 6"! Hows that for taking the leap? I just didn't like having to look through the thing and I tried the bike without it (that won't happen again!).

With a jigsaw and a metal blade, the job went suprisingly easy! Masking tape, cutting line, step sanded and Howdy! The whole job took about 30 min. Now I can see over it (oh so clearly!) and I really can't tell much difference in wind deflection and I like the low look too...thanks for the tips guys!

(The picture is a funny angle but it's really nice & straight)

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's perfect. Thank you all for the info and especially to IronMan750 with the view on what I can achieve. Awesome.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Wow, 6" cut off and no change in wind buffeting!
BTW, nice looking job too.

I am curious how tall you are Iron Man?

How high does the shield extend above the headlight now?

ps. that garage is waaay too neat.:notworthy
You sure that isn`t a backdrop sheet that just looks like a garage, hanging in front of the bike!! LOL;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm 6'1" 215 lbs.

I took 'er out for about a 60 mile ride today and I really couldn't tell much difference in the wind buffeting. I'm sure there has to be a change but the windshield still works great! I probably could've gotten by with about 4" off but I really wanted to be able to see everything clearly without the top of the windshield splitting my road vision.

The bottom of the sheild is about 2" off of my headlight. It's more like a wind deflector now instead of a windshield. I actually really like where it is....today I could see like never before yet still had a comfortable ride with no bugs in the face! Yay! I once took it off and didn't like that at all!

The shield must be made of Lexan or acrylic because it cut real easy without any kind of melting like plexiglass does.

BTW, you should've seen my garage two weeks ago....wooo

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
OK, you have a 2" vent around the headlight now for warm weather riding, cool idea (pun intended). <G>
The question I was really asking is, how high is the top of the windshield above the headlight now?

I`m 5' 10 1/2", #300 and have a BIG windshield, compared with many here.
It is just a flat screen, not a fairing shape like yours.

Overall mine is 19" wide and 21" tall, with 16 3/4" above the headlight cutout.
The top of the windshield is about 1 1/2" below my eye level, so I can comfortably see over it when I sit up straight. I can also hunker down behind it a bit in cold or rain when I want to.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh, duh...It now measures 13" straight up from the headlight to the top of the shield (that's with the shield at the same angle as the forks). It gives me about 3"-4" of sight clearance. This height works for me but I wouldn't say for anyone to use these measurements as a template or anything....I just sat on the bike, pointed it down the road and used some tape to mark the most comfortable height for me. I guess I could've cut off a little at a time but I liked the mark and went for it! Besides, if needed, I can change the height somewhat simply by changing the angle of the shield.

I may decide come Winter time that it's too short but.....I don't ride when it's below 40 degrees anyway. That's what the cage is for...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Windshield

Is your windshield original or after market? I want to get one for mine and not quite sure where to look. Thank you! P

·
Registered
164 Posts
Now it's more like a Plexi 1 1/2......

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Thanks to the links on this thread,I managed to cut about 1 1/2 to 2 " off my windshield this week using the jigsaw ,file and sand method described in the link.

It is now just below eye level when riding and the wind noise is actually noticeably less than before,and hardly any buffeting .Now i can see over it after dark and my visibility is much improved,Thanks men.that made the big black dog a lot more comfy. :notworthy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts