Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok has anyone made their own custom sidecovers? Like out of sheetmetal, or diamond plate, or aluminum?

It is clear since Kawasaki discontinued the bike and sidecovers, that sidecovers L&R can really only be found on eBay, where they can go for as much as $90 each, if in great shape.

What are we going to do when there is eventually none to be found?
We need a custom fabricated alternative?

Anyone got any ideas??

Speak up !!

Peace

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Can they be made from fiber glass? If so, is there a fiber glass worker in the group? Make a mold now before needing the cover and when needed a new cover can be made with the mold.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can they be made from fiber glass? If so, is there a fiber glass worker in the group? Make a mold now before needing the cover and when needed a new cover can be made with the mold.
fiberglass??? i don't know why not? I mean the only limit is your imagination.

I think a simple cover would be just some sheetmetal or something. But you gotta get the curves/angles for the frame right and get the hole dimensions correct.

there are plenty types of materials one could choose, i think.

One would think, the little plastic pegs that go into the grommets, lets call the pegs, nipples, lol . Anyway you think they would be the hardest, but no not really. Take some plastic UHMW white stuff and turn in in a lathe, and then make a tapped hole in the end so you can bolt it into the cover and have it push into the gromet, of course your bolt head is going to show on the outside of your cover. But really i think the nipples would be easy to duplicate.

Any more ideas?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Someone could make a replacement by vacuum forming one, that is actually pretty easy to do with some cheap equipment. Then they could be made from a single sheet of abs, plexi, etc. and just reinforced with fiberglass. That would give you a flawless (as flawless as the original anyway) finish on the outside with only minimal prep for paint. Plus they would be super lightweight.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I ahve been thinking about a side cover.. with air vents for the R/R to hide behind!.. might have to stick out a bit more.. but if you matched it on the other side.. it would be a good place to hook up that cig plug in!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Yes a fiberglass mold can be made... Yes there are a few of us fiberglass guys in the group, and yes already have the molds made. Now unfortunately I am halfway a crossed the world and can't be of help for a year or so...

... onto GcExtreem, there have been several people that made side covers for the vn out of things such as leather, aluminum diamond plate, and even plywood.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you tackle the inside peg problem? Or did you go gcextreme's route?
I don't understand. What route you are referring to?
I wonder if its possible to weld nuts where those rubber grommets are?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I don't understand. What route you are referring to?
I wonder if its possible to weld nuts where those rubber grommets are?
fiberglass??? i don't know why not? I mean the only limit is your imagination.

I think a simple cover would be just some sheetmetal or something. But you gotta get the curves/angles for the frame right and get the hole dimensions correct.

there are plenty types of materials one could choose, i think.

One would think, the little plastic pegs that go into the grommets, lets call the pegs, nipples, lol . Anyway you think they would be the hardest, but no not really. Take some plastic UHMW white stuff and turn in in a lathe, and then make a tapped hole in the end so you can bolt it into the cover and have it push into the gromet, of course your bolt head is going to show on the outside of your cover. But really i think the nipples would be easy to duplicate.
Any more ideas?

That route

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok got ya. I see what u meant. Be assured one of my summer and next winter projects will be homemade side covers. Heck if they come out right and are cheap to make i may make some to sell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts