Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I still have to say that I like Slim's Seats the best....have a new solo n the designboard as well as several new 2 ups. Even researching a bagger style rear seat.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I am putting together an eBook on Building a custom seat seat. The book is going to cover everything from supplies, tools, and helpful hints. with the guide a person should be able to do something as simple as customizing the stock seat to something as elaborate as a complete one off custom seat from scratch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey Slim, need anyone to edit or proof that ebook? I'm at a point where I am going to modify the seat for my bike and don't know where to start. I'm thinking about buying another seat so that I can ride while building a new one. I have a decent camera and a new light kit (two strobes and umbrellas etc) and wouldn't mind taking photos for you to put into the ebook when working on my seat.

·
Registered
707 Posts
chiron... if you have a day you can spend like 3 hours on it you can bang it out real quick.... unless you do a complete one off like slim did... if you start with the stock seat pan you can cut off the back rest and shave the seat foam within like an hour.... then another hour or so to reglue and cover the seat with whatever you like... if you need help theres a few people here including myself that can help ya out and give ya pointers..

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Hey Slim, need anyone to edit or proof that ebook? I'm at a point where I am going to modify the seat for my bike and don't know where to start. I'm thinking about buying another seat so that I can ride while building a new one. I have a decent camera and a new light kit (two strobes and umbrellas etc) and wouldn't mind taking photos for you to put into the ebook when working on my seat.
that would be great. I will have to get working on this book a little harder...My suggestion is do a google search on building a custom seat pan, I found for a good clean look and great comfort that fiberglass works the best.

Here is a link to the seat build I documented. http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6970

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to respond to the thread, I thought I subscribed but evidently I didn't. So, no emails about your responses. Weird.

Bigrepp61, yeah that's what I've been told, but unfortunately I haven't ridden my bike only a handful of times int he past year since I ended up doing a complete teardown. Now I'm to the point that I can have it running this weekend (assuming I can get the last coat of paint on the tins without any blemishes). I've missed out so much by not being able to ride that I'd hate to have any down time once it's going. I'm looking into buying another seat thats torn up for me to work on while I still have the stocker to ride with. We'll see how it goes this weekend.

Slim, I had read through that thread and there's a lot of good information there. I plan on reusing the stock pan and just modifying it. I don't really see a need for a custom pan for what I'm doing/looking for. As for proof reading and editing that is just something I do for other people from time to time for "the fun of it". lol Same thing with the photography. Mainly a hobby, but from time to time it's nice to help out with projects other people are working on.

Whatever I do with the seat, I'll photo and post. Ride on fellas!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Hey thanks Chiron...I will keep you posted on the seat build... My laptop crashed after getting back here from r&r so I lost all my work and documentaion...and my back up is on the desktop HD that is locked up in the bottom of a storage shed...guess it will have to wait untill i get back to the states...but on the bright side...I will be starting 2 more seats for lots more pics

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
hey ya got a pic of that seat you made? last time i saw it it was foam.
I have indeed got it covered, and pics are now on my seat build thread "Making a Custom Seat" . I also have the passenger seat pan 3/4's of the way finished... I need to trim it up, add in some support, and add a couple more layers of glass, then it will be ready for padding and covering. (I will be recovering the solo seat as well.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts