Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a new master cylinder for my bike... not because I need it, but because I want it... I need to determine the Bore of the OEM master cylinder so that I don't have to change out the calipers and rotors.

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Why not start with a used one and disassembly it measuring the openings so you can find something similiar? I would think that any MC from a bike with dual front calipers would work ok.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ones I want to use come in two different sizes for dual disks... so I was wanting to change to the closest one (hopefully going overboard on pressure so i could fine tune the brakes easier). I didn't want to tear apart my perfectly good MC if I could find the info. I was being lazy, I can find the Bore by using the seal kit info... so I will search the seals and get as close to the same sized bore as I can get.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I want to get a new master cylinder for my bike... not because I need it, but because I want it... I need to determine the Bore of the OEM master cylinder so that I don't have to change out the calipers and rotors.
The M/C piston Dia. is 15.75mm. :smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The M/C piston Dia. is 15.75mm. :smiley_th
WOW lance, how do have all this minutiae at your finger tips so quickly? :notworthy
Is that spec actually in the service manual somewhere ? Or did you find it online?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
WOW lance, how do have all this minutiae at your finger tips so quickly? :notworthy
Is that spec actually in the service manual somewhere ? Or did you find it online?
I have an M/C torn apart on my bench. :rockon:

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Lance any more info I would need to know about the MC to get a different one off of another bike besides the Diamater of the Piston?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Over the years, I have used all kinds of master cylinders on many different bikes (remember the white plastic ones that quickly rotted from the sun?) Assuming it is for 7/8" bars, the only thing you need to be concerned with is whether the same hose fits both the caliper and the master cylinder. If it does, and over 90% of the time with Japanese bikes it does, it will work fine.

I have the stock master cylinder (nice that it is all metal), and removed the right side disc, caliper, and hose. Works great that way, and has for over 25,000 miles. Perfect feel at the lever, and no unusual wear on the pads or rotor. Will still easily lock the front wheel, if for some reason that is what you wanted to do. Jerry.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually my plan is to use a Yamaha XS 650 Master cylinder because I found a place to buy a new chrome one for dirt cheap. It is made for 7/8" bars, uses the same hoses, and would compliment the rest of my bar changes I am making... still trying to figure out what I am doing besides new controls, debating going with some mini apes, z bars, or leaving the bars stock. I am thinking on leaving the bars stock, I like the looks and feel of them, especially now that I have them stripped almost bare. The thing that bugs me most is the top triple tree... its butt ugly IMHO...

Thanks to all for your help, I am ready to buy my Master Cylinder in confidence now.

·
'85 Bobber
98 Posts
Slim, I know what you mean on the triple tree. WAY UGLY!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Over the years, I have used all kinds of master cylinders on many different bikes (remember the white plastic ones that quickly rotted from the sun?) Assuming it is for 7/8" bars, the only thing you need to be concerned with is whether the same hose fits both the caliper and the master cylinder. If it does, and over 90% of the time with Japanese bikes it does, it will work fine.

I have the stock master cylinder (nice that it is all metal), and removed the right side disc, caliper, and hose. Works great that way, and has for over 25,000 miles. Perfect feel at the lever, and no unusual wear on the pads or rotor. Will still easily lock the front wheel, if for some reason that is what you wanted to do. Jerry.
This does not throw off the balance of the wheel? What do you do about replacing the pads/rotors, doesn't everything come in two sets? Or do you just now have extra for later? What are the downsides of doing this if any?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read that the VN1500 Tree will work on our bike... any ideas if this rumor is true... and how much work it would take to make it fit.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I read that the VN1500 Tree will work on our bike... any ideas if this rumor is true... and how much work it would take to make it fit.
vn1500 tree would be nice i have been wanting to upgrade to 1 inch bars mostly because i already own a set of 18 inch rise 1 inch ape hangers

·
Registered
722 Posts
A guy named Bucky I think from england did the vn1500 triple tree swap. He said the neck stem was the same but you have to use the forks and wheel from the 1500 too.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks B Man... Now how do I get a hold of this Bucky Guy in england?
Good question I haven't seen him on here in a long time slim!!! I'll see if I can find anymore info on him for you though.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Here is the last message I got from him on it slim.

Hi man!!

Well for a start, you will need either a set ov VN800 or VN1500 forks too, as they are both 41mm diameter, and ours are 35mm i believe, other than that its a straight swap as the steering stem lengths are the same length.

The dash however is another matter all together, as i didnt have one i dont know whats on on, so that you'll have to figure out yourself.

I'd sugest using seperate clocks to be honest, but thats just me,

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
722 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts