Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking to custom make my own saddlebag supports but I do not know where to start. Could somebody please send me or direct me to any clear pictures of saddlebag supports that work fine? Basically, I want to see how the saddlebags should be located in regards to the height and overall position. Another thing that I am looking for that is quite important is in which existing holes can I use to hold the supports. I own a 1995 Vulcan 750 in Bolivia where there is virtually nothing to buy for my bike.

I know that you guys will give me a huge help in this. Thanks to all in advance.

Happy Riding!

Carlos

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I made my own. I used the helmet lock holes at one end (did away with the locks), and the top shock stud at the other.....

Powder coated....

Mounted....

I made them a little larger than most store bought ones so they'd fit my large Willie & Max bags better, but the also work well on my smaller nylon bags....

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
what size are your Willie and Max bags I have aset of tour masters that have some nice features,but are no where as big as those and i noticed they had the zip off yoke also ,Denny

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey Hyper, those are good looking supports.
What are the specs on them? ie.
Materiel: Mild steel, or high carbon spring steel, or Stainless?
Diameter looks to be about 3/8 inch. But how long is the bar?
Did you use a stick welder on those little brackets or a MIG?
And lastly, how expensive is that powder coating?

Sorry for all the questions, but you know by now that I`m as interested in how something is made or done as in the finished project.

Ya` all ride safe out there this weekend, now, ya hear.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
what size are your Willie and Max bags I have aset of tour masters that have some nice features,but are no where as big as those and i noticed they had the zip off yoke also ,Denny
The last pic isn't the Willie & Max bags, they are the Moto Pak GTS-60. Not a bad bag. They expand to be even wider than in the pic.
BUT... the zippers have seperated from the yoke :( I was able to re-sew more heavy duty zippers onto them (well, just one side, still have to do the other). They have a large main compartment with elastic straps for holding stuff in (they open from the side) and a smaller one on the outside good for maps and other smaller stuff.
All in all, I like them, except for the zipper problem.
This is the best pic I have that shows the Willie & Max bags. They are about 10 years old, so they are sagging a bit now. They are larger than the Moto Pak bags, except for the width .....
HERE is a previous post on the bags.

Hey Hyper, those are good looking supports.
What are the specs on them? ie.
Materiel: Mild steel, or high carbon spring steel, or Stainless?
Diameter looks to be about 3/8 inch. But how long is the bar?
Did you use a stick welder on those little brackets or a MIG?
And lastly, how expensive is that powder coating?

Sorry for all the questions, but you know by now that I`m as interested in how something is made or done as in the finished project.

Ya` all ride safe out there this weekend, now, ya hear.
Thanks OlHoss. They are Stainless, 7/16". Off hand I don't remember the finished length, but guessing probably atleast 2½ - 3'.
I mig (well, flux cored) them and was able to get them powder coated for free, while at my previous job (should never have quit there :()

They weren't bend with any type of jig, so both sides are a little different. But with the bags on, ya never know. I woulda done a write-up on making them, but did it kinda spur of the moment. Took maybe 10 minutes each, at the most (not including powder coating).

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I`m guessing that you bent the rods to fit, and then slid the brackets on for a test fit to the bike, to mark the correct mounting position and angle for welding.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
thanks Hyper I had trouble out of one of the Tourmaster zippers alsoyou had the gt 60's correct because they make a gt 90 too ,I wonder how huge they are yours look jynormous,that means not quite gigantic but bigger than enormous,Denny

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I`m guessing that you bent the rods to fit, and then slid the brackets on for a test fit to the bike, to mark the correct mounting position and angle for welding.
Yep. Just bent a little at a time until they were about right, using just my hands and a bench vise. Held the bracket pieces where they'd mount, marked the rod then welded in place. After welding, before coating, I fine tuned them for proper fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts