Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
You didn't watch the videos?
I didn't watch the second one until just now. So, he's confirming that it's an absolutely terrible idea.

The Pros:
  • It's functional. (Well, that's good frickin' news...)
  • High mileage. (You putting as many miles on your bike in a year as your car?? Not me.)
  • Low temps. (It's 112 degrees out, let's go for a ride!)
  • Low Cost. (Sure, cheap is good. Buy a cheap helmet, I dare ya.)

The Cons:
  • "You're more likely to see spontaneous uninstallation." (Wait, WHAT? Oh yeah, it's NOT a bike tire!)
  • The handling is $hit. (As if riding a motorcycle weren't already unsafe enough. Let's take more unecessary risks!)
That contact with the road bit is important. So, yes, there's slightly more surface area of the tire in contact with the road during banking, but that contact is negated by the poor handling and inherent risk of that thing he said.... what was it? Oh yeah, SPONTANEOUS UNINSTALLATION!!!

This gets a big ***K THAT from me.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
Doesn't seem to be much of that happening, except on someone's whiteboard.

Riding, is a risky pastime. You're already trusting strangers to not run over you. How do you manage that risk?
I can certainly mitigate that risk more effectively on a bike that will maneuver properly when intended, and by ensuring that I take every measure of safety available to me.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
You can spend $300 on a single Continental mc tire, and they're known to unwind at highway speed.
I wouldn't spend $300 on a single Contintental tire in the first place, ESPECIALLY if they're known to unwind at highway speed. You see? It's information like this that I make note of.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Doesn't seem to be much of that happening, except on someone's whiteboard.
Agreed. It seems theory and practice differ here. In theory, the tire shouldn't stay on the rim. But if this were common, there wouldn't be so many people swearing by it.

If I were doing high milage tours on a regular basis, consisting of mostly straight roads, I'd probably do it. Especially on a larger bike. I'm not so much put off by the supposed higher risk, but the change in handling. I already get a decent amount of use out of Shinko 230s.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
For sidecar folks, Darkside is recommended. A friend just installed a 205 on his Valkyrie and loves it. I watched him corner and there's a lot of tread on the ground. But, a 6cyl Valkyrie with him on it, he's a big fella, munching straight interstate miles, is a good fit for him.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Agreed. It seems theory and practice differ here. In theory, the tire shouldn't stay on the rim. But if this were common, there wouldn't be so many people swearing by it.

If I were doing high milage tours on a regular basis, consisting of mostly straight roads, I'd probably do it. Especially on a larger bike. I'm not so much put off by the supposed higher risk, but the change in handling. I already get a decent amount of use out of Shinko 230s.
I feel the same way, if I was on a heavier bike that I'd be less likely to toss around, I'd give it a try right away.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
For sidecar folks, Darkside is recommended. A friend just installed a 205 on his Valkyrie and loves it. I watched him corner and there's a lot of tread on the ground. But, a 6cyl Valkyrie with him on it, he's a big fella, munching straight interstate miles, is a good fit for him.
Can probably go darkside all around on a sidecar rig. I did see some bikes with a darkside front but didn't watch their videos.

Valkyrie is a brute, about the same rank as the Boss Hoss I saw with the darkside.

Those CanAm Spiders use a 205 or so up front and the rear is probably similar. But they don't lean.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
Can probably go darkside all around on a sidecar rig. I did see some bikes with a darkside front but didn't watch their videos.

Valkyrie is a brute, about the same rank as the Boss Hoss I saw with the darkside.

Those CanAm Spiders use a 205 or so up front and the rear is probably similar. But they don't lean.
Agree with the darkside sidecar comment, for sure. But don't most guys with auto tires on a sidecar bike have a rear car rim? That's my understanding of it, but I could be wrong.

RegardingCan-Am Spyders: If it has three wheels, it's not a bike. Sorry, but I'm a purist.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts