Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Thanks! I suppose for long, straight stretches of road they'd be fine, but lots of curves? Doubt it.
It's said the darkside tire has more contact patch than the mc tire in turns. Looks to be true in videos.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
No kidding? Would you mind sharing a link to a video? I'm intrigued by this tire option.
If you search darkside tire at YT there are plenty of videos, a lot of new ones since I last researched it.

There's one video where the guy painted a white stripe across the tire to show that it doesn't ride on the sidewall.

At the end of this video there's a graphic showing comparison of the contact patch.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
And here's a semi-humorous look at darkside vs traditional. Sounds like he's against it himself, but understands why people would do it. I've debated it, but I think I'll stick to tried and true MC tires.

He even zipties the car tire to mount it.

But if the car tire saves $100 and lasts 4x as long, it's saving $400, or more.

That extra bit of counter steer is what made me stick with the mc tire. 6000 miles is good enough for me, on the mc tire, and I really want to try the Shinko 777 anyway.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
However, saving $400 is still not worth the risk you're taking with a tire that ultimately has much less contact with the surface it's ridden upon. It does look kind of cool, but I've seen more automobile tires blow out than motorcycle tires.
Car tires get flats regularly. I've never had a flat on a motorcycle and I don't know anyone (personally, anyway) that's ever had a flat on a bike.

Think I'll also stick to the established norm.
Except it has more contact, not less. I've had fewer flats on motorcycles, but drive 10x the miles with cars.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
How does it get more contact when banking? When traveling in a straight line, of course a car tire is going to have more contact. But banking? I can't see how. Wouldn't you be riding on the outer edge of the car tire?

It seems like there's sort of an odd balance between mileage/cost/performance/safety to reckon with.
Fascinating topic all around, but I think I'm going to put my trust in a tire that's specifically designed for a motorcycle, and holy crap, I just realized something as I was writing this...

Could substituting a car tire for a motorcycle tire have some negative repercussions in the unfortunate event of an accident, especially from an insurance perspective?

I'd love to see some actual scientifically sound data that confirms or denies the safety of a car tire on a bike. If anyone knows of something like this, please share!
You didn't watch the videos?

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Agreed. It seems theory and practice differ here. In theory, the tire shouldn't stay on the rim. But if this were common, there wouldn't be so many people swearing by it.

If I were doing high milage tours on a regular basis, consisting of mostly straight roads, I'd probably do it. Especially on a larger bike. I'm not so much put off by the supposed higher risk, but the change in handling. I already get a decent amount of use out of Shinko 230s.
I feel the same way, if I was on a heavier bike that I'd be less likely to toss around, I'd give it a try right away.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
For sidecar folks, Darkside is recommended. A friend just installed a 205 on his Valkyrie and loves it. I watched him corner and there's a lot of tread on the ground. But, a 6cyl Valkyrie with him on it, he's a big fella, munching straight interstate miles, is a good fit for him.
Can probably go darkside all around on a sidecar rig. I did see some bikes with a darkside front but didn't watch their videos.

Valkyrie is a brute, about the same rank as the Boss Hoss I saw with the darkside.

Those CanAm Spiders use a 205 or so up front and the rear is probably similar. But they don't lean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts