Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1995 with 19k miles. Looks like factory exhaust before what would have been the GB. Blackout ears. Darkside tire on factory rim. Stock gauges. It looks like a LED light bar where the horns used to be. Owner wasn't around to talk to.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
1995 with 19k miles. Looks like factory exhaust before what would have been the GB. Blackout ears. Darkside tire on factory rim. Stock gauges. It looks like a LED light bar where the horns used to be. Owner wasn't around to talk to.
Great pics, too bad you didn't get a chance to talk to the owner.

That rear fender... I know I've seen that type of sheet at Lowe's, I'm guessing steel? Clever use of it. And those side cover bag things? Damn, that's original. Really did the cover.

I used to go to car shows with my old man, and do you know what he used to do? He carried a little memo pad and left notes on cars. I don't know what was on those notes.... probably asking if they were for sale or whatever. Next time, maybe take a memo pad and leave a note with the name of this site and an invitation to join us! We might could have picked his (or her?) brain!

Regardless, glad you grabbed these pics. Very inspiring!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted the pictures on a Facebook group as well and the owner responded! I'll see if he wants to join.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Sweet. Thanks for sharing. The owner has a good start on a fun looking VN. I'm fairly certain the rear fender is a trailer fender.
Hardtail? Not for me. Even with the springer seat

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About that rear tire... Is that an actual motorcycle tire? Or a car tire? Seems awful flat...
That's a car tire. He said he got it from Amazon. It's known as going to the Darkside. Some people swear by it, getting great lifespan out of such a tire. Others say it's dangerous. While I haven't tried it myself, I have heard it makes cornering I bit harder as the bike wants to stay upright....but not as hard as it might look. Many touring riders use them to eat up road miles. The real hard part is holding the bike upright when stopped on a non-level road!

The profile (155/80) is a bit smaller than the stock tire, with 124mm of height off the rim vs 135mm for the stock tire (150/90) or 136 for the commonly used oversized rear (170/80). Total diameter is 24.76" on this tire, 25.62" stock and 25.71" on the oversize. The smaller tire changes the final gear ratio slightly. The RPMs would go up about 150 at 60 mph.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
That's a car tire. He said he got it from Amazon. It's known as going to the Darkside. Some people swear by it, getting great lifespan out of such a tire. Others say it's dangerous. While I haven't tried it myself, I have heard it makes cornering I bit harder as the bike wants to stay upright....but not as hard as it might look. Many touring riders use them to eat up road miles. The real hard part is holding the bike upright when stopped on a non-level road!

The profile (155/80) is a bit smaller than the stock tire, with 124mm of height off the rim vs 135mm for the stock tire (150/90) or 136 for the commonly used oversized rear (170/80). Total diameter is 24.76" on this tire, 25.62" stock and 25.71" on the oversize. The smaller tire changes the final gear ratio slightly. The RPMs would go up about 150 at 60 mph.
Thanks! I suppose for long, straight stretches of road they'd be fine, but lots of curves? Doubt it.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Thanks! I suppose for long, straight stretches of road they'd be fine, but lots of curves? Doubt it.
It's said the darkside tire has more contact patch than the mc tire in turns. Looks to be true in videos.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
No kidding? Would you mind sharing a link to a video? I'm intrigued by this tire option.
If you search darkside tire at YT there are plenty of videos, a lot of new ones since I last researched it.

There's one video where the guy painted a white stripe across the tire to show that it doesn't ride on the sidewall.

At the end of this video there's a graphic showing comparison of the contact patch.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And here's a semi-humorous look at darkside vs traditional. Sounds like he's against it himself, but understands why people would do it. I've debated it, but I think I'll stick to tried and true MC tires.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
And here's a semi-humorous look at darkside vs traditional. Sounds like he's against it himself, but understands why people would do it. I've debated it, but I think I'll stick to tried and true MC tires.

He even zipties the car tire to mount it.

But if the car tire saves $100 and lasts 4x as long, it's saving $400, or more.

That extra bit of counter steer is what made me stick with the mc tire. 6000 miles is good enough for me, on the mc tire, and I really want to try the Shinko 777 anyway.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
He even zipties the car tire to mount it.

But if the car tire saves $100 and lasts 4x as long, it's saving $400, or more.

That extra bit of counter steer is what made me stick with the mc tire. 6000 miles is good enough for me, on the mc tire, and I really want to try the Shinko 777 anyway.
However, saving $400 is still not worth the risk you're taking with a tire that ultimately has much less contact with the surface it's ridden upon. It does look kind of cool, but I've seen more automobile tires blow out than motorcycle tires.
Car tires get flats regularly. I've never had a flat on a motorcycle and I don't know anyone (personally, anyway) that's ever had a flat on a bike.

Think I'll also stick to the established norm.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
However, saving $400 is still not worth the risk you're taking with a tire that ultimately has much less contact with the surface it's ridden upon. It does look kind of cool, but I've seen more automobile tires blow out than motorcycle tires.
Car tires get flats regularly. I've never had a flat on a motorcycle and I don't know anyone (personally, anyway) that's ever had a flat on a bike.

Think I'll also stick to the established norm.
Except it has more contact, not less. I've had fewer flats on motorcycles, but drive 10x the miles with cars.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Personally I just think it looks like a car tire on a bike, something in my head goes “nah”, but to each their own.
My only other thought is each is engineered for a specific function. I’d rather stick with what’s proven. You always hear “right tool for the job” in my head driving and riding are much different and need the right tools

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
Except it has more contact, not less. I've had fewer flats on motorcycles, but drive 10x the miles with cars.
How does it get more contact when banking? When traveling in a straight line, of course a car tire is going to have more contact. But banking? I can't see how. Wouldn't you be riding on the outer edge of the car tire?

It seems like there's sort of an odd balance between mileage/cost/performance/safety to reckon with.
Fascinating topic all around, but I think I'm going to put my trust in a tire that's specifically designed for a motorcycle, and holy crap, I just realized something as I was writing this...

Could substituting a car tire for a motorcycle tire have some negative repercussions in the unfortunate event of an accident, especially from an insurance perspective?

I'd love to see some actual scientifically sound data that confirms or denies the safety of a car tire on a bike. If anyone knows of something like this, please share!

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
Personally I just think it looks like a car tire on a bike, something in my head goes “nah”, but to each their own.
My only other thought is each is engineered for a specific function. I’d rather stick with what’s proven. You always hear “right tool for the job” in my head driving and riding are much different and need the right tools
100% agreed.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
How does it get more contact when banking? When traveling in a straight line, of course a car tire is going to have more contact. But banking? I can't see how. Wouldn't you be riding on the outer edge of the car tire?

It seems like there's sort of an odd balance between mileage/cost/performance/safety to reckon with.
Fascinating topic all around, but I think I'm going to put my trust in a tire that's specifically designed for a motorcycle, and holy crap, I just realized something as I was writing this...

Could substituting a car tire for a motorcycle tire have some negative repercussions in the unfortunate event of an accident, especially from an insurance perspective?

I'd love to see some actual scientifically sound data that confirms or denies the safety of a car tire on a bike. If anyone knows of something like this, please share!
You didn't watch the videos?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts