Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted some floorboards that had the factory made look instead of the homemade or adapted look. "DISCLAIMER" I am in no way trying to put down the KM style floorboard or Kanuck's vn1500 adaptation!!!!! I merely wanted something that looked factory but was created by my own hands.

I also wanted the feel that your feet were on gel or air, just for that extra comfort factor. I figured if I was going to make them custom I would pull no punches. I figured since HD has major vibration I would see what they had to offer. The search was short lived since ALL their boards are vibration dampening. I chose a set of FL rear replacement pads and based my design on that. The pads are air cushioned but need modification for my needs.

I modified the pads and made a template out of 1/4" poplar, when I mounted the template there was no deflection. Instead of using the 3/8" 7075 T6 I bought I opted for the 1/4" 7075 T6, both are "aircraft grade" and have a tensil strenght of 58,000 psi and a shear strength of 48,000 psi. I felt wasting money was just that, "wasting money".:doh:

Below are pics of the start and NOT the finished product, I will post pics after polishing and installation. Intead of bolts going through the pad I threaded the plate and I will thread and epoxy a flush mount bolt, then glue the pad on top with contact cement. :smiley_th

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
This is timely for me since I recently got some 3/8" and 1/4" aluminum to make floorboards. Haven't decided which to use. Question: It appears your stock pads have an uneven bottom surface. Did you shave the pad or cut out the boards to accommodate the raised surfaces? As, I think, OlHoss mentioned, I plan to add heel guards to keep my boots off the pipes.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Those are going to be a good looking addition to the bike. I will be watching for more. If I understand you correctly , you just bought the rubber pad, not the whole floorboard.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is timely for me since I recently got some 3/8" and 1/4" aluminum to make floorboards. Haven't decided which to use. Question: It appears your stock pads have an uneven bottom surface. Did you shave the pad or cut out the boards to accommodate the raised surfaces? As, I think, OlHoss mentioned, I plan to add heel guards to keep my boots off the pipes.
I shaved the pad smooth and cut the board 1/4" larger than the pad. :beerchug:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are going to be a good looking addition to the bike. I will be watching for more. If I understand you correctly , you just bought the rubber pad, not the whole floorboard.
Just the pad!! :smiley_th

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Floorboards are polished and will be installed tonight!! I figured if I polished enough I could store information on them or at the very least be good enough for the Hubble . LOL Next little project will be saddle bag brackets and turn mount signal cover plates. :rockon:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
What's the benefit of riding with floorboards? I've never done it, I only have the stock pegs. I heard (somewhere here) that they make a world of difference and that once you have them you'll never go back. I just started doing some of my own mods and whoever said it was addictive has a penchant for understatement!

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
The floorboards, no matter what style or kind you use, make riding like standing on the ground! Your feet are flat, not rocking on a peg, and I find they give you more stability and if nothing else confidence! Lance, fantastic job! These look great! BZ! (for you land lovers, that's Navy talk for Bravo Zulu or Job Well Done!)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Floorboards are polished and will be installed tonight!! I figured if I polished enough I could store information on them or at the very least be good enough for the Hubble . LOL Next little project will be saddle bag brackets and turn mount signal cover plates. :rockon:
WOW! I echo Cliff's kudos -- Bravo Zulu x 2!! :notworthy

Send these to NASA for their next Hubble repair mission!

Will you be selling these? :beerchug:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nice Lance,

Now we need to band together and get you a decent camera. Or we can just have FLrider follow you about with a video camera for a bit.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Looks great!!
Really shiny!!

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW! I echo Cliff's kudos -- Bravo Zulu x 2!! :notworthy

Send these to NASA for their next Hubble repair mission!

Will you be selling these? :beerchug:
If someone wants a pair I will. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It ain't too bad of a camera I saw his mug staring back in one of those polished boards, PM me with what you would have to make another set,I Like "Em I am an old Floor board man from way back also,Denny

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You better get some of Gadgets tungsten dragging bolts on there, (from VROC site) so you don`t scratch that mirror finish up. Those are ssswwwwweeeeett looking boards!:rockon::rockon:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I extended the factory drag bolts and have completed fabrication and instalation. :beerchug:

Brake pad will be installed next.

Attachments

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well Lance If they work and feel as good as they look, you should be in fine shape...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
491 Posts
I extended the factory drag bolts and have completed fabrication and instalation. :beerchug:

Brake pad will be installed next.
Nicely done Lance.

They look better than OEM!! :rockon:

P.S. Post pic of brake pad when installed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Pretty sweet. I still love that yellow frame.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Those boards do look fine lance.

If I understand the opening post of this thread, you threaded and countersunk the mounting holes in the the plate. Then epoxied a flathead bolt flush with the top before gluing the rubber pad on. Is there a reason you didn`t just use blue or red threadlocker, instead of epoxy?

Do they fold up without hitting anything?

When or if my leg ever heals up so I can get out and do some of the maintenance and mods to my bike, I`ll be back to play 20 questions with you about these floor boards.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Those boards do look fine lance.

If I understand the opening post of this thread, you threaded and countersunk the mounting holes in the the plate. Then epoxied a flathead bolt flush with the top before gluing the rubber pad on. Is there a reason you didn`t just use blue or red threadlocker, instead of epoxy?

Do they fold up without hitting anything?

When or if my leg ever heals up so I can get out and do some of the maintenance and mods to my bike, I`ll be back to play 20 questions with you about these floor boards.
With tredad locker there is still a chance of the bolt turning when tightning the nut, no chance with epoxy. :smiley_th

1 - 20 of 25 Posts