Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to design and fabricate a custom exhaust? With the right tools and creativity, I think it could be possible. Would a scallop cut short pipe both exiting on the right side look good? Would a baffleless drag style require rejetting or just the air screw adjusting? My plan is to go with the Cruzers, and with the OEM pipes being degoated already, why not play. As long as I don't burn up anything:D Thoughts? Thanks

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Here's a thought - If you can do a 2 into one, but not use the belly. If at all possible, tune them to create a small vacuum on the other pipe so as to reduce back pressure. Like a tuned header on a car.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I had thought about doing that. seeing as i dont have a garage, nor the tools to do it with i gave up.... This is what i was planning on doing though.

1) get 1 or 1 1/2 inch pipes mandrel bent (keeps then nasty inner bend that decreases diameter) to where they fit perfectly.
2) do a "Y" into a 2 inch pipe that dumped into a drag muffler. The trick here is to put the "Y" in a distance to where the exhaust from each cyl. hits at exactly 180 degs... this way as the exhaust from cyl 1 passes this point, it creates a scavanging effect on cyl 2. and vise versa. Not only will it boost horse power, but sounds great. I will make for a lower note cause the exhaust will be going at a slower speed from the 2 inch pipe...
3) i had planned to use header wrap (keeps the exhaust hot, more volume= more scavanging). I was then gonna make some chromed heat shields, but then that was down graded to no heat shields and use flat black header paint.

there is a formula that you can find on google that will tell you the optimum header and exhaust pipe lengths, but i couldnt get the cam timing to plug into it. Wish ya best of luck and hope to see pics....

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Everything sounds interesting so far.
I myself prefer one pipe out each side. But I've never really thought about how I'd design a set of pipes. Now ya all got my curiosity up !!

With the right tools it shouldn't be that tough of a project. But there in lies the problem, not many of us have those right tools !!
I'd think there'd certainly be some carb tuning involved also.

Oh well, now I got another thing to think about doing to the bike !!

Too many ideas, not enough time !!!:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.