Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there fellow Vulcan Riders,

I am in the process of making some custom Engine Guard / Hi-way Bars for my Vulcan.
They will be a ripoff of the Wingerline ones, but made alot cheaper and not chrome.

First, Does anyone have a set of the Wingerline guards? If so, can you take some measurements or draw up a print with measurements? That would be great!!

Next, If anyone else is interested in this, it may be possible for me to whip out a few and ship it to you.

I have access to 1" stainless steel pipe, and 1" cold roll steel pipe.
I have a local guy who will bend the pipes for me, and i can have the mounting tabs made and welded on at work very easily.

So in all, its going to cost the price of the pipe and mounting tabs, should be like $30 or less. Plus whatever the bender guy charges, and then shipping prices.

Now the stainless steel 1" pipe can easily be polished up to shine like chrome, and will never rust. Or you can go with the CRS (cold roll steel) and paint it yourself.

Attached is a picture of the wingerline bars, if anyone can get me measurements that would be awesome!

Thanks.
Glenn C.

Attachments

·
Banned
431 Posts
Sounds interesting, been wanting some highway bars for a while now

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I had a set available I could draw up the plans no problem but I do not have any. I would be interested in purchasing some from you if you get this going.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I had a set available I could draw up the plans no problem but I do not have any. I would be interested in purchasing some from you if you get this going.
Anyone who is interested please let me know...
once i figure out what material cost and what not, i will let you know and if you are still interested i will have them made for you.

but i would like to kind of get a head count on how many i should possibly make..

thanks.

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Sounds interesting

I'm interested in one or two of these myself, depending on your final cost estimate for the SS version. What sort of peg mount would you put on the guard, or would you leave that to each individual?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
i would be interested in a ss one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would be interested in the SS ones myself!!! Let me know on the cost!!! Final pics of one would be nice!!!

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far I have a few people interested.

I still haven't gotten any measurements from anyone with the wingerline bars. So if i don't get some measurements soon, I'm just gonna wing it (no pun intended) and figure something out myself.

So far for material, i have approximate costs:

1" Stainless Steel with 11ga wall about $4.50 a foot
1" non stainless with 11 ga wall about $1.87 a foot

Those figures are with my employee discount on materials.

I will still need the flat steel (probably 1/4 or 3/8 thick) pieces for bolting on the bars.
Getting those pieces shouldn't be a problem and should be cheap, I can probably find pieces in the scrap bin that will work.

Anyway, I got to figure out how many feet i will need. I will try to take some measurements tomorrow, and then i will start on my own set and when done I will post pics and more info.

I'm interested in one or two of these myself, depending on your final cost estimate for the SS version. What sort of peg mount would you put on the guard, or would you leave that to each individual?
Peg mounts, i havent figured that out, may leave that up to the individual to use clamp on pegs or something, or i could have a flat piece welded on with ahole to mount a stiff peg or something.

·
Registered
79 Posts
gcextreme,

You can use mild steel for those flat pieces and weld it to the stainless steel tubing using the right type of welding rod or by tig welding it, however, you will get some galvanic corrosion of the mild steel due to the dissimilar metals and a joint that will probably be okay in this application, but certainly not as strong as it would be if you used the same type of metals. If you can find a source for some 1/4" or 3/8" thick stainless steel flat stock it would be a better choice. Your weld will be stronger and no galvanic reaction. Personally, I'd be willing to pay the extra cost to have it all made from SS.

I just re-read your post and realized that I am assuming your "scrap pile" at work is not stainless steel, which it may be, so if I ran down a rabbit trail please forgive me.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
This is very cool. For the right price you might be making several of these sets. Myself, I wouldn't mind standard steel. I think black bars would be slick & different. Hell, If I had enough paint left from painting the bike, it would be sharp colored to match. Definitly interested in a shipped cost. Keep us updated.! =)

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gcextreme,

You can use mild steel for those flat pieces and weld it to the stainless steel tubing using the right type of welding rod or by tig welding it, however, you will get some galvanic corrosion of the mild steel due to the dissimilar metals and a joint that will probably be okay in this application, but certainly not as strong as it would be if you used the same type of metals. If you can find a source for some 1/4" or 3/8" thick stainless steel flat stock it would be a better choice. Your weld will be stronger and no galvanic reaction. Personally, I'd be willing to pay the extra cost to have it all made from SS.

I just re-read your post and realized that I am assuming your "scrap pile" at work is not stainless steel, which it may be, so if I ran down a rabbit trail please forgive me.
Yeah man no worries. We have scrap bins for everything, stainless, CRS, aluminum , and copper.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Just got home from my vacation. I'll get pics of mine and measurements soon as I can, and post 'em here for ya.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I am interested in a set.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As of right now, I don't think I am going to be able to make more of these, unless your willing to pay up front for stuff.
I got my ass reamed by the guy who bent the steel tubing. He said it took him 4 hours to do 4 bends and weld the mid supports in. At $40 an hour, that was $160 i spent. I am going to do some searching, looking for someone else who may want to whip out a bunch of these fast for some quick money. They welder who made my custom hitch and trailer may be able to help, I will contact him later and see if he can or knows anyone that can bend pipe/tube.

So far here's my bill:

$140 tube bending/welding
$36.56 for 8feet of SS 1" tubing at $4.57 (Regular steel is like $1.87 a foot)
$6 for the 4 SS scrap pieces for the mounting brackets.

That's $182.56 invested in the bars.
You can get the Wingerline bars for $234 plus shipping.
http://www.motoshop.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AIM&Product_Code=AUKWLV702

Where I got screwed is clearly for paying the tube bender $40 an hour for 4 freaking hours!!
All honestly, I think he probably only spent 2 hours on it, if that.

I gota find another tube bender person who can do it faster and cheaper to make it more efficient for these custom bars.
Live and Learn guys.

For pics of my guard, visit here:
http://www.gcextreme.com/Vulcan750/EngineGuard/index.html

All in all, I am happy with the way it turned out, just not the final amount it's cost me.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Thanks Glenn, but I will pass until you find a different fabricator.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Hey GC, got an idea to help you out while looking for a new fabricator... when talking to them, tell them you want to make a minimum of 10 sets now with the posibility of making another 15+ sets if the price is right... I think 140 per set would be fare to include the price of materials... who knows they might even know of a place top get the steel even cheaper than where you are going through.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
ok, one comment on the guard it self... is there a way to bring the guard up even with the bottom of the frame and in so it is almost touching the grill. second the upper support mount should use the bolts that are mid way up the side of the frame.. I think that using the guard as a mount for pegs is going to be too week.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
ok, one comment on the guard it self... is there a way to bring the guard up even with the bottom of the frame and in so it is almost touching the grill. second the upper support mount should use the bolts that are mid way up the side of the frame.. I think that using the guard as a mount for pegs is going to be too week.
slim, thanks for the input, good questions, but raises a few questions for me.

"is there a way to bring the guard up even with the bottom of the frame and in so it is almost touching the grill."

To that I say yes, probably, the mounting brackets could have been shorter and the angle different to bring it up where its even. I wanted it a bit below the frame, so in a tip over, in theory it will save the frame/exhaust/ radiator hose, etc. Remember, this bar set isn't curved to the contour of the front like the wingerline one is, and tucked up in.

"second the upper support mount should use the bolts that are mid way up the side of the frame.. "
My question is, where are these bolts?? are they behind the ear/air boxes?
I do see some recessed socket head bolts up mid way.

Like i said, this is just my first design, i can always cut the mounting brackets off and do something different. But i wanted it simple and fast, I have to have my bike ready for my groups annual bike show April 9th.

"I think that using the guard as a mount for pegs is going to be too week"

lol you meant weak, but i got you, lol. Anyway, maybe they will be, maybe they won't. So far they seem pretty dam strong. Also remember i have KM floorboards, and right now i dont even have pegs to mount on them. But when i do mount some, if it turns out to be too weak, you can be darn sure I will redesign and fabricate something up to make it work!

Speaking of pegs, where can I get some cheap clamp on ones for a 1"tube, under $50. Something simple and cheap!

So slim, thanks for your input, if you have time, maybe you can draw up something based on your ideas. When i started this thread I asked out loud if anyone had any ideas, measurements, prints, etc for engine guards/hiway bars, and I didn't get any response, well right away. So i went and came up with something myself, but i am always open for suggestions and improvements man!

I guess my ultimate goal would be to have a simple design, have full detailed prints and more, available to all members who are interested in tackling such a project. Reality is, things go smoother when you have a print you know that works, that tells you what you need for the project, and more.
So the print for the main guard i have up, should be a good start to get people on their feet.

Also i think my next mod, is to come up with some home made Side Covers.
It seems there are some on ebay, and they aren't cheap!! Why did Kawi discontinue them?? STUPID STUPID!
Does anyone have any home made custom side covers??????? Maybe i should start a thread for it???
It would be great to get a print with measurements and details from someone who has already tackled it? Otherwise, I'm going to jump the gun and come up with something... well later this summer.

Peace

1 - 20 of 43 Posts