Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally ride on slower roads with a speed limit of 25-30. When going this slow, what should my rpm range be? I usually keep it between 3-3.5K on the tach. Is this lugging the engine in third gear?

·
carbon unit
369 Posts
Sound good to me until you start an up hill incline...then it's time to downshift and throttle up a bit. 3000 rpm keeps you charging a bit and keeps the coolant and oil pressure flowing good.

NOTE: for those of you who might be setting your idle speed low trying to make your engine lope and sound more like an HD....not a good idea....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was surprised to see in 3rd, when I hit a hill at 3K, the is plenty of pickup when I twist the throttle with no need to down shift. I just always try to make sure there is some engine breaking when I let off the throttle. On occasion, I get too slow and it does not slow much when I let off, that's when I grab a lower gear, and that's how a gauge my speed and rpm to gear setting.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
i pretty much keep mine around 3k. depending on the speed limit (eg. freeway). 3k is where I shift too.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Mine stays around 5 to 5.5K rpm, ussually shift 4 to 5K rpm. Most my ride is out of town.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I let mine wind up to 4.5K yesterday, and to my surprise it was as smooth as a sewing machine. I think I spent too much time off road on my Polaris Sportsman. That thing sounds like it could fly apart at any minute.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ride mostly on the 4 lane. Tach indicates 4400 speedo 64 and GPS 60. That's with 100/90 front tire. Next tire change going with the 110/90 tire.
Ron

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I usually let the road decide what gear I need. If I need 4th gear at 5k I make it happen. If I need 2nd at 3 I put it in. Most average I think I'm with you guys, about 3 to 3 and half - shifting around 4. I usually don't use first gear except for pulling away from a dead stop. If I'm heading around a slow corner I stay in 2nd gear. The rpm's might be a little bit low when going again but I engage the clutch real slow and keep the rpms as even as possible. Once I'm back around 3k I let the clutch lever all the way out...

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
My tach indicates exactly 4000 at an indicated 60 mph. I don't like to let it drop below 4000 during steady cruising. During normal use, out of town (not in stop and go traffic) I usually shift it at around 6000 at or near full throttle, up until just over the speed limit. Jerry.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I read one guy who suggested for getting the maximun life, and least wear and tear on an engine to keep your revs between 20% and 80% of your redline. So for the vn750`s redline of 8500 rpm, that would translate into 1700 to 6800 rpm while riding. That`s almost 100 mph at the top end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts