Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone!
i have a 1986 vn750 and want to get some aftermarket exhaust. V&H cruzers seem to be what many replace the stock exhaust with.
i am a total newb (just passed the MSF clas sthis past weekend! whoo!) and have a couple questions..

-do you recommend the cruzers?

-will these pipes still be one on each side of my bike or will they be both on the right? or do i have a choice?

- can i install these myself fairly easily? i am no mechanic but if i have good instructions i can follow them.

- and will i need to do any adjustmenst on any other part of the bike after i install the pipes?

thanks! have a good one!
chris

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Cruzers will have one pipe on each side of the bike. If you want them to be both on the right side, I think the cobras are like that.

Your bigest problem will be getting off the old exaust without breaking anthing espically some of the old studs - breaking at least one stud is almost 100% on a bike that old unless they have recently been replaced. Then the question will be how straight/careful can you drill into steel?

On the VN700/VN750, if you are replacing pipes, you usually don't have to rejet.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I highly recommend that you get a can of PB Blaster and spray every bolt/nut and let them soak, I'd do it every day for several days before trying to remove anything. May not help on a bike that old, but I've seen it do miracles, and it's not expensive so I'd try it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an 86 too, I sprayed PB Blaster on the acorn nuts at the exhaust manifolds for several days before I even tried loosening them up. It worked great. I love the Cruzers

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
You'll be surprised how many parts will be laying on the floor after you remove the factory setup.

Other than the pipe to head bolts, pretty much a walk in the park.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Those pipes are loud. What the other guys failed to mention is that you will have to block off the reed valves in each cylinder head, its called marbling. You would just install a marble into the large hose that is on each side of the bike. The hoses are in plain sight. If you dont do this, those pipes will pop like theres no tomororw, ie back firing on deceleration. Very easy to do also.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I did forget to mention, I have coaster plates instead of the reed valves. I bet the pops would be REAL LOUD!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.