Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure whether to consider this a technical question, curiosity question, or maybe even a sort of poll question but what are your opinions as you ride these machines at cruising speed? My VN750 is an '86 with 27k original miles so I for instance tend to go pretty easy on her. Plus I like the way she basically throbs along in the 4100 rpm range. So usually if I'm doing 55 on some flats I'll be all the way up into 6th. But obviously, that's only halfway to redline.

What about others of you? How do you ride?

Furthermore, I'm also curious to know how is it BEST to ride - as in, technically speaking? What does Kawasaki recommend when providing such a huge RPM range?

Would it be better if I "stretched" out the old girl's range a bit more, do you think?
-Brett

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
I'm usually in top gear, which is fifth, by 45 mph unless I'm accelerating quite a bit. Stretching it out a little is fine, but will reduce fuel economy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm in 5th by just over 30 (2300 on the tach). But I don't give it much throttle below 2700. The 2300 is for putzing through the neighborhood. Generally I keep her in 5th unless I need to accelerate.

Moderate acceleration I shift by 4500. Spirited, by 6000, which is most of the time. I'll run her up to redline now and then. Especially now that I have a shift LED and a rev limiter!

I've run her for about an hour straight at 90 mph. Sucks a lot of fuel, but she'll do it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Gotta rev it high to go fast, the engine can handle it.

Usually 5th gear cruising is like this:
4k RPM @ 60 MPH
5k RPM @ 70 MPH

and of course it just goes up from there. I usually like to cruise around 60-70 MPH, it's just not enjoyable to do long stretches at higher speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I agree with these numbers posted above. I think the front end starts feeling squirrely above 85 to be honest but there’s not many roads near me that allow for that over a long stretch. If you do have that option then you’re really not cruising you’re riding hard. 65-75 on the speedo (60 to 70 in reality) is the sweet spot for this bike which will keep you in the 4K to 5k all day. It’s not a big rumbling V-twin motor, it’s built to rev and it loves it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think the front end starts feeling squirrely above 85 to be honest but there’s not many roads near me that allow for that over a long stretch.
I'd check the tires/balance and maybe the bearing. She is certainly at a sweet spot in the 60-70 MPH range but it never felt squirrely to me except when I had an old front tire. I'm running Shinko Tourmaster 230 front and rear and couldn't be happier! I'm also running the oversized front tire (110/90R17) so my speedometer is within 1 mph of GPS.

(110 is a different story....but this isn't the right bike for running 110)

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I’m due for a new front tire, but at the time when I had that feeling it was fairly new. A friend and I were hauling a$$ down the AC expressway and they were re-paving lanes in some areas and didn’t leave the smoothest transitions

·
Super Moderator
12,072 Posts
Do you have a windscreen? How much do you weigh? Both these can effect the front end at speed.
I noticed a bit of “squirrellyness” after installing a Plexistar II .... and after tipping my windscreen down a few degrees, it went away.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Do you have a windscreen? How much do you weigh? Both these can effect the front end at speed.
I noticed a bit of “squirrellyness” after installing a Plexistar II .... and after tipping my windscreen down a few degrees, it went away.
I have a Spitfire windshield, and I live in the 210 to 215lb range. I tilted the windshield slightly more upright to stop the wind stream from catching the top of my head. I certainly could experiment as I have a couple different helmets now. The Bell has a visor and if I flipped that up the wind would catch it. The other isn’t as bad.

·
Super Moderator
12,072 Posts
A few degrees can make a big difference. Usually, the more vertical your windscreen is the more it’s prone to “wind shake” that can effect the front end.
(Ever see a stop sign shake back and forth in a high wind?)
To get by this problem, some makers put a bit of an upward “flip” on the top edge of the screen. There’s also some aftermarket “wings” that move oncoming air flow higher without changing the tilt of the windscreen.
Like this:

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
When you're cruising around 4100-5000 rpm it's right at the edge of power begging you to open up those carbs. The power comes on really sweet. It's easy to blast too fast.

The balance shaft does a lot to let it rev.

Mine had some head shake in the front, but I need to align my forks properly when I get new tires. The swingarm is aligned perfect, but I didn't do the front correctly.

Did come close to a tank slapper once, on the freeway at 80-90 or so. Chilled me right out.

Back tire scared the hell out of me today, wait until you see it.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
A few degrees can make a big difference. Usually, the more vertical your windscreen is the more it’s prone to “wind shake” that can effect the front end.
(Ever see a stop sign shake back and forth in a high wind?)
To get by this problem, some makers put a bit of an upward “flip” on the top edge of the screen. There’s also some aftermarket “wings” that move oncoming air flow higher without changing the tilt of the windscreen.
Like this:

This is how I’m set up now, this is my second windshield. I busted the first one up when I dropped the bike. I might play with the angle a bit at some point. On different note I have to admit, I find it funny that I said I felt an issue riding over 80mph and no one said “well you should slow down” , Instead I got suggestions on how to improve that experience.
Gotta love motorcycle folks!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
This is how I’m set up now, this is my second windshield. I busted the first one up when I dropped the bike. I might play with the angle a bit at some point. On different note I have to admit, I find it funny that I said I felt an issue riding over 80mph and no one said “well you should slow down” , Instead I got suggestions on how to improve that experience.
Gotta love motorcycle folks!
Wow that windshield is really leaned forward. You could be getting some bad aero with that. Maybe you should slow down, :)

Any way to make it higher while also leaning it back some?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I can definitely work with the angle some. And yes, you’re right I should take it easy out there on those wide open roads ;)

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
When you're cruising around 4100-5000 rpm it's right at the edge of power begging you to open up those carbs. The power comes on really sweet. It's easy to blast too fast.

The balance shaft does a lot to let it rev.

Mine had some head shake in the front, but I need to align my forks properly when I get new tires. The swingarm is aligned perfect, but I didn't do the front correctly.

Did come close to a tank slapper once, on the freeway at 80-90 or so. Chilled me right out.

Back tire scared the hell out of me today, wait until you see it.
I love the torque of this motor. Just enough to satisfy my taste without rocketing me off the bike like some of these newer Vtwins pushing over a hundred horsepower. Looking at you, Indian!

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
I love the torque of this motor. Just enough to satisfy my taste without rocketing me off the bike like some of these newer Vtwins pushing over a hundred horsepower. Looking at you, Indian!
Or a VRod, crank it in third gear and light up the rear tire while lofting the front tire three feet.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
For me, I would like a drop of 300-500 rpm on the interstate, but I avoid that mess of inconsiderate people 95% of my riding time.
I travel county and state HWYs at or below 4k rpm. I get incredible MPG and ride the posted speed limits.
Here's a trick my VN responded well too: Side gap your spark plugs for a better burn & easier starts.
This shield is nice, and it actually keeps a bit of wind off my upper body. The AirPad is comphy.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
For me, I would like a drop of 300-500 rpm on the interstate, but I avoid that mess of inconsiderate people 95% of my riding time.
I travel county and state HWYs at or below 4k rpm. I get incredible MPG and ride the posted speed limits.
Here's a trick my VN responded well too: Side gap your spark plugs for a better burn & easier starts.
This shield is nice, and it actually keeps a bit of wind off my upper body. The AirPad is comphy. View attachment 53370 View attachment 53371
Is that a Bad Ass Moto air seat cushion? I have one too. :) Love it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts