Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Bump - two sets ready to ship. Guaranteed fitment, 20 dollars shipped.

-----------------------------
I didn't make a good user name and I can't change it, so please call me Nate.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
where do these go? Does the 800 engine have them? I have reed valve assemblies in my valve covers....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
They wont...different shape, but same principle....remove the emissions crap and coaster it....I can make a set for ya Kenny if ya want...Sears hardware got this neat polished aluminum diamondplate....I been eyeballin it....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts
Hehe he said leakage

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I was able to save the gaskets from the reed boxes, just used a razor blade to peel it loose. Those were installed dry originally.

There's not a lot of pressure behind the reeds, so sealing isn't too big a deal.

crowley, wouldn't aluminum be a lot easier and quicker to work with? Not sure how it would compare pricewise, but you can get the 1/8" alum. stock almost anywhere now, and it's probably already the right width. I opted for thicker alum., just because I thought there was more pressure involved, but the thin stock should be just fine. The thicker alum. was harder to find.

Just a suggestion, everybody has their own system. Was just thinking about shaping aluminum versus shaping steel.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Although steel is harder and rusts, aluminum is dangerous for grinding. My bench grinder is for steel. If I grind aluminum, not only can the dust ignite when it comes in contact with steel under the right conditions, but it clogs the pores of the wheel and with enough heat (grinding steel after grinding alum) the wheel can explode.

I might switch to aluminum though. I thought steel was good, but I'm second guessing it. If I'm to make a name, I might as well do it right.

Tomorrow morning I'll hit tractor supply. I'll go from there.

Spock, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Definitely don't want to mix grinding wheels. May not need a wheel with aluminum, I had to go easy with a hand file and the other tools I used. I can't recall using the bench grinder on them.

Tractor Supply definitely has the stock. Exact same piece I used to make my license plate turn signal bracket. Lowe's, Ace, True Value, has it too.

Only thing with aluminum, is the temptation to polish it, which I did. Goes fairly quick with the right tools though. Painting is no big deal. You could offer them bare if the customer wants to polish.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts