Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of moding up a small alternator (car type maybe) to a bike?...not sure if this is posible.. but maybe under the seat with wheel attached to work off of the rear tire or somthing like that?.. just a thought...I know I know.. crazy right?

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Has anyone thought of moding up a small alternator (car type maybe) to a bike?...not sure if this is posible.. but maybe under the seat with wheel attached to work off of the rear tire or somthing like that?.. just a thought...I know I know.. crazy right?
Don't see why it wouldn't work. I could then pursue my dream of adding subwoofers to my bike.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
It's not crazy, it's just unconventional. If you could fit one and it had higher output than the stator, it would be great.

Just gotta figure out how to drive the alternator. One thing that comes to mind is friction drive. Have a pulley contact the rear tire (rubber to rubber) with enough tension and it should be able to drive it. Basically like bicycle dynamo, but using an alternator. However, I dunno if this would affect the tire in a negative way.

I read that that's how they drive those hubless wheels, by using some kinda rubber pulley or roll or some kinda rotating thingy that contacts the rear tire with enough force to drive it. Not sure if it's that simple or not, but for an alternator it shouldn't be more complicated than that.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Saw one on a GW on youtube a couple of years ago that was run off a pulley at the front of the engine. A V-twin has the crankshaft perpendicular to the axis of the frame so that won`t work for us. I think it would be pretty difficult to get any sort of a practically drive set-up on the vn.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I looked into a 1 wire alternator offered for older vehicles for this exact purpose. I wanted more juice for the scoot. I nixed the idea due to mounting options.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not crazy, it's just unconventional. If you could fit one and it had higher output than the stator, it would be great.

Just gotta figure out how to drive the alternator. One thing that comes to mind is friction drive. Have a pulley contact the rear tire (rubber to rubber) with enough tension and it should be able to drive it. Basically like bicycle dynamo, but using an alternator. However, I dunno if this would affect the tire in a negative way.

I read that that's how they drive those hubless wheels, by using some kinda rubber pulley or roll or some kinda rotating thingy that contacts the rear tire with enough force to drive it. Not sure if it's that simple or not, but for an alternator it shouldn't be more complicated than that.
That is exactly how I was thinking it could be done.. but your right .. not sure how it would affect the tire.. bike tires are a bit softer than regular tires.
it would go along way to adding more juice to our scoots though!

·
Registered
207 Posts
This was discussed a few years ago:

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102300&postcount=11

"....All I could come up with was adding a short keyed shaft to the end of the bolt that holds the flywheel onto the crankshaft and modifying the timing cover with an oil seal. Then you could attach a pulley or sprocket to the shaft on the outside of the left cover and drive an alternator mounted in front of the radiator."

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Here's a possibility of what you could use.

JEGS 1-Wire Alternator means just that--simply connect one wire from the alternator to the battery and you're done.
This line of alternators features an internal voltage regulator and turbo fan to keep internal components cool. Made in USA.

Finding the place to mount it & look decent is the trick. Connecting it to thre system is easy enough.

Under $70 By the way.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
So, this would be the cure to all our stator problems?

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
some of us are rookies,,,

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Another idea, but maybe a bit more complicated...

Remove the stator and modify the engine cover with some sort of bushing or seal or something in a way that a pulley can be driven in place of the stator... modifying the engine cover in a way that the pulley itself is outside the engine but can still be driven instead of the stator. After that, it's just a matter of finding a spot to mount the alternator so the alt pulley can be driven with a belt.

This one would require fabrication and the pulley and belt system might protrude too much to the side of the bike, making it implausible... but still, it's an idea... it might spark another idea that is better.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Pulleys? Why put more load on a motor that does not make alot of power to start with?

Take your "hubless wheel" design, and build a small tubine impeller. Place it in the exhaust. Outer rim is toothed and runs the generator off an inclosed reduction box. You could route both pipes through it, just replace the goats belly with it.

Or, just run a small "windmill" on top of the front fender......

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulleys? Why put more load on a motor that does not make alot of power to start with?

Take your "hubless wheel" design, and build a small tubine impeller. Place it in the exhaust. Outer rim is toothed and runs the generator off an inclosed reduction box. You could route both pipes through it, just replace the goats belly with it.

Or, just run a small "windmill" on top of the front fender......
hahahahahahaha....

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking that if you are degoated you might have room there to mount one some way to have it runn off of the rear tire maybe.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Another idea, but maybe a bit more complicated...

Remove the stator and modify the engine cover with some sort of bushing or seal or something in a way that a pulley can be driven in place of the stator... modifying the engine cover in a way that the pulley itself is outside the engine but can still be driven instead of the stator. After that, it's just a matter of finding a spot to mount the alternator so the alt pulley can be driven with a belt.

This one would require fabrication and the pulley and belt system might protrude too much to the side of the bike, making it implausible... but still, it's an idea... it might spark another idea that is better.
No, the engine mod would be pretty simple and not require removing the engine or the stator. Just remove the timing cover over the stator/flywheel and replace the bolt on the end of the crankshaft. Then run a lightweight chain or belt up to an alternator mounted in front of the engine.

There's some more info in this old thread:

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11407

1 - 18 of 18 Posts